Ever Wear Waders and Wading Boots when Driving?

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Steelbow prospecting in Ontario, Lake Huron trib. River was falling but still RIPPING F'ing velocity! Went down hard trying to cross. finished morning session, came back through Immigrations / Customs in old school white cotton long johns only. This "state of dress" put booth guard on high alert. We got re-directed to the Pole Barn. Young guy and gal were crawling around digging through stuff at random under the topper.. all over our soaked 5mm neoprenes! Re-emerged dismayed with quite wet knees and lower pant legs. We tried hard not to laugh openly..

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
I have a good friend who is doing this. He takes off his waders boots and slips on a pair of Crocks sandals. Drives to the next beach, then changes back to the waders boots. Nice and clean. Takes all of two minutes. And there's another guy I know who is wearing Crocks sandals over his stocking foot waders all of the time when he's fishing the beaches.

Bowbonehead

Weathertech floormat and neoprene car seat cover... do it in my wife’s car all the time....the biggest thing to get used to was changing gears in wading boots..... not the easiest shoes to heel-toe shift in
Yeah but still a lot easier than ski boots...... WARNING...... do not try this at home

Furled

I am thinking of running to multiple salt water beaches in a day.

I don't wear traditional fly fishing wading boots in saltwater. The salt will cause the hardware on the boots like eyelets to corrode quickly. This is especially true if you have boots that use the BOA lacing system. I learned this the hard way. I have switched to wearing Mares Trilastic 5mm Sneaker Sole Dive Boot. Comfortable, warm, durable, affordable at $70, and most importantly easy on and off with a zipper. I also put dive booties over the built in neoprene socks of my waders. This cuts down on friction and abrasion and greatly extends the life of your wader's socks. This has the added benefit of making it easy to slip your waders on and off. This with zippered wading boots make a quick change at the beach easy and simple. I have driven with load out too.....it's easier to drive in the dive boots than in regular wading boots because the dive boots are more like sneakers.

One deterrent is the time it takes to remove salt water laden boots, then waders just to drive 1 to 10 miles to the next beach.

Has anyone purchased new or used boots for sole purpose of slipping on over wet waders to keep dity and corrosive salt water off the floor of the vehicle? If so, how much bigger shoe size worked for you over your wader?

What other options have worked for u?

Costco had nice hiking boots for under 40 bucks, but I did not have waders and thick socks to see if they fit.

Jake

WFF Supporter
Every time I go to multiple beaches.

Rubber floor mats, waterproof seat covers, and a towel make it all good.

As for corrosion, as some have mentioned, my boots have seen 3-400 trips in the salt with no corrosion other than the screws holding in the studs.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Update: I tried on boots at Costco with waders on. Akward for sure. None of the boots were wide enough to slip on over wader boot feet.

So damned, I just drove with salt water dripping onto rags placed on the vynal floor of my work van

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Every time I go to multiple beaches.

Rubber floor mats, waterproof seat covers, and a towel make it all good.

As for corrosion, as some have mentioned, my boots have seen 3-400 trips in the salt with no corrosion other than the screws holding in the studs.
Not worried about boots, my korkers have rust proof fasteners and have survived multiple seasons in salt. I wash down rod reel stripping basket waders and boots outside at home to keep from building up salt crustys. I also lube reel often.

My concern is with the floor of my work van or car. Metal floors are not corrosion resistant

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I wear boots and waders when driving. But only when I'm fishing.

There is a centuries old technique to doing it and it can only be learned at the feet of an Alchemiac Master. I learned it in just under 20 years, but I am a quick study.

r.overstreet

Hey man....f**k you
I do, but sometimes my boots get stuck under the brake or cuz theyre wide i get the gas and break at the same time...keeps things interesting

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info