Simms Flyweight Boot Sizing?

I have done some reading about them and several people say not to size up like you do with other simms boots to use with stocking foot waders. I even saw a couple pre-owned pair for sale and the sellers reason for selling was that he sized up like all his other simms and they were too big, yet on the simms site their chart says to size up. I realize you should always try on your boots before buying whenever you can however due to my location I am not able to. Do you size up with this model or go with your street shoe size for use with waders + heavy wool socks when needed. I can return them if they don't fit so it wouldn't be too big of a deal but I'd rather just get it right the first time :)

Joe H

I got the Flyweights true to size, like every other boot I've worn over the past 40 years.
However, since I do a little different than the majority of others (by only wearing the thinnest Smartwool or silk socks in winter temps), you will likely want to size up if wearing heavier socks. And for certain if your waders have the thicker 4mm neoprene stocking feet such as Simms, or fleece lined stocking feet that Patagonia incorporates.

I really wish wader/wading boot manufacturers would offer boots in half sizes, and optional, thinner stocking feet on waders.
This is no longer an unreasonable request when prices exceed $500 per item!

I got the Flyweights true to size, like every other boot I've worn over the past 40 years.
However, since I do a little different than the majority of others (by only wearing the thinnest Smartwool or silk socks in winter temps), you will likely want to size up if wearing heavier socks. And for certain if your waders have the thicker 4mm neoprene stocking feet such as Simms, or fleece lined stocking feet that Patagonia incorporates.

I really wish wader/wading boot manufacturers would offer boots in half sizes, and optional, thinner stocking feet on waders.
This is no longer an unreasonable request when prices exceed $500 per item!
These are 4mm neoprene, made by Dryft. I too agree that half sizes sould be offered and more companies need to offer "tall" models too. That was the final thing that made me choose my Dryft wading pants was that they offer tall and short models in all their sizes, I'll take a med-tall over a large/xlarge any day.

Last edited:

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
It they are too big you can always wear thicker socks. My Flyweights in 12 are just a touch bigger than my old Freestones. Love the Flyweights, didn’t notice any lack of ankle support, feel like Air Jordans compared to the old clodhoppers.

It they are too big you can always wear thicker socks. My Flyweights in 12 are just a touch bigger than my old Freestones. Love the Flyweights, didn’t notice any lack of ankle support, feel like Air Jordans compared to the old clodhoppers.
what is your street shoe size? 11? thank you for the response, looks like sizing up might be wise.

chief

I wear a size 13 street shoe, and I ordered the size 13 Flyweights, and they were a touch too small. I had to go up to the 14's. I use them with Simms G3 waders.

I received my boots today and am happy to report that they fit great! Would an 11 fit? possibly, but the 12 is not loose fitting at all with my 4mm booties on with just a plain cargo sock on under and then tried again with a large wool boot sock, fit well. This is my first pair of wading boots so I don't have anything to compare to, I would imagine of they were too big it would be quite noticeable. For me, as long as my foot isn't shucking around and it doesn't seem like there's ample space for water to fill them up I'm happy. It is however very hard to tell where the toe of the booties ends inside the shoe, my big toe seems to end just short of the rubber rand though. First impressions are good, I'm hard on footwear so we'll see how they hold up this season, hope to get out there by this weekend.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts