Streamer-Fly Fishing

Mark Kadoshima

I generally carry 2 rods... one streamer rod and a second rod that I switch back between nymphs and dries, as necessary....

Ive seen no definite correlation between the effectiveness of a streamer and hatch, season, or anything else....streamers are very effective year round...and it’s hard to beat the aggressive way fish take a streamer...but if you fish streamers exclusively you’ll limit yourself in a lot of situations....

yesterday I caught nice fish nymphing with a size 20 nymph on 5x, then caught this little fella on a big streamer 50yrds away....

View attachment 226666
Just curious, do you think the red color influences the ability to net a fish at all? I like the color, as I tend to misplace things or leave them on the side of the river.

castsN2trees

The fish are calling.....
WFF Supporter
Just curious, do you think the red color influences the ability to net a fish at all? I like the color, as I tend to misplace things or leave them on the side of the river.
No, I don’t.... all my gear is bright for that very reason.... I got knocked down in the Green and went for a swim.... if my net hadn’t been so bright, I would have lost it...

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
I'm a subsurface guy most of the time. One of my preferred methods is a sinktip line with a streamer while fishing the rivers for trout. You want that strike, you'll definitely get it.

Shack

I generally carry 2 rods... one streamer rod and a second rod that I switch back between nymphs and dries, as necessary....

Ive seen no definite correlation between the effectiveness of a streamer and hatch, season, or anything else....streamers are very effective year round...and it’s hard to beat the aggressive way fish take a streamer...but if you fish streamers exclusively you’ll limit yourself in a lot of situations....

yesterday I caught nice fish nymphing with a size 20 nymph on 5x, then caught this little fella on a big streamer 50yrds away....

View attachment 226666
Is that a lamprey wound on the side of the fish?

FinLuver

Kicked
Troy and Ely at Watershed Fly Shop (in Corvallis, OR) have been fine tuning the trout Spey game here in Oregon. They have some tasty little streamer morsels, that they have developed, for bull trout and redsides here on Oregon running waters. Give ‘em a call and pick their brains.

cdnred

When fishing with a streamer, would it be best to use a switch rod for better performance or does it really matter..? Currently I've got Orvis 4pc Clearwater rods in 6wt, 7wt, 8wt (6pc) and 10wt all in 9ft lengths. Switch rods that tend to be longer, perhaps give more "umph" for getting the fly/streamer out further..? What't the preferred rod to use for streaming..? What's the preferred reel, large arbor..?

YAKIMA

AKA: Gregory Mine
When fishing with a streamer, would it be best to use a switch rod for better performance or does it really matter..? Currently I've got Orvis 4pc Clearwater rods in 6wt, 7wt, 8wt (6pc) and 10wt all in 9ft lengths. Switch rods that tend to be longer, perhaps give more "umph" for getting the fly/streamer out further..? What't the preferred rod to use for streaming..? What's the preferred reel, large arbor..?

Now this is where opinions could be all over the place. Streamer fishing has been around a lot longer than Switch, or maybe even Spey rods. To me, using either just makes it more enjoyable to throw them, and how long, not how far, you can throw them.

cdnred

Now this is where opinions could be all over the place. Streamer fishing has been around a lot longer than Switch, or maybe even Spey rods. To me, using either just makes it more enjoyable to throw them, and how long, not how far, you can throw them.
Appreciate the info. So you'd recommend using either a Switch or Spey rod to get more enjoyment out of it..? Which would you recommend, a Switch or Spey..? If I was looking at something in a 4pc 8wt rod, what sort of length do you think would suit..? The longer the better..?

Last edited:

P-FITZ98

I’m not too proud to admit I’m a streamer junkie, especially when the water is cold and not many bugs are popping. I’ve caught enough hammer handles in my life, I like to just go after the big-n’s. Big fish will go after a bait fish even when not hungry, but out of spite. They will also expel energy more so for the bigger meal.

Mark Mercer

If you're bank fishing Spey or switch rods makes things easier (no back cast room needed) and more fun imo but I've fished streamers for as long as I can remember on a single hand rod and it works just fine. Love fishing dries but don't get to very often anymore but swinging streamers can be off the charts when it comes to big fish and smashing hits, they both have there place.

Last edited:

jacknoir

I'd say rod length and line weight would depend more on the size of the stream and fish you are after. I fish the northeast and will throw a streamer with 4, 5, 6, or 7 weights from 7' to 9' depending. There are dry fly rods that are better for lighter delicate presentations that don't handle a streamer well. Use something that will toss some weight.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
Appreciate the info. So you'd recommend using either a Switch or Spey rod to get more enjoyment out of it..? Which would you recommend, a Switch or Spey..? If I was looking at something in a 4pc 8wt rod, what sort of length do you think would suit..? The longer the better..?
If your looking for a longer switch or Spey, a 4wt will be very close to a 6 or 7wt single hander. Love my 4wt Sage One spey. I’ve landed fish up to 8lbs and I think it would go a few lbs more.

Tons of fun to fish. But that’s just me....

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts