small boat safety in the Sound

2kayaker

In my 17 foot Swampscott dory:

You will be subject to inspection by Coast Guard and Sheriff's, State Parks Rangers etc., Marine Units on the water.

Bob, I searched on google just now for 17 Swampscot Dory plans and found your Wooden boat Facebook post on the $1 purchase / rebuild of your dory. Great to know the story. I have a 17' Penobscot that I'm building from Arch Davis Designs. Similar love of a boats graceful lines. Happy Fishing !

major

I fish from a 16' Nova Craft canoe in the sound. One of the things I'm doing this year is installing a "side air bag" for self-rescue. I believe they're popular in the canoe sailing world, compared to the bow and stern airbags more common on river canoes. Makes sense, given my application. Things can still get serious in a hurry. I honestly try not to get so far out that I couldn't swim back to shore. I always wear a pfd.

JM

One thing that i have always paid close attention to is the weather forecast for the day. Depending on where you plan on fishing wind speed in addition to tides and currents can create situations unsafe for small boaters quickly. If you are fishing leeward areas during the day or upwind areas with the intent of getting back to your starting point later in the day conditions can change to the worst.

Zak

In looking at tidal current charts and http://deepzoom.com/, it looks like tidal currents in Possession Sound in the area where I'll be boating are minimal compared to other areas of Puget Sound. So that's encouraging! I'm feeling pretty good about going out on calm days with little or no wind or waves and staying out of the shipping lane. Thanks for the great safety tips, everyone!

Scudley Do Right

In looking at tidal current charts and http://deepzoom.com/, it looks like tidal currents in Possession Sound in the area where I'll be boating are minimal compared to other areas of Puget Sound. So that's encouraging! I'm feeling pretty good about going out on calm days with little or no wind or waves and staying out of the shipping lane. Thanks for the great safety tips, everyone!
Not sure where you will be exactly but current near Possession Point can haul ass. Also keep an eye out for large Navy ships.

Zak

Oh also: I crab with great success from the canoe! One of my favorite vehicles to do so.
I'm totally new to crabbing, except for catching blue crabs as kid with a weighted chicken leg on a string from a dock. What kind of pot do you use and recommend?

major

I'm totally new to crabbing, except for catching blue crabs as kid with a weighted chicken leg on a string from a dock. What kind of pot do you use and recommend?

A typical danielson-style pot with 100' of leaded line does the trick for me.

Reactions: Zak

D3Smartie

You're gonna be fine in that. Just dont be stupid on your days. Everyone talks like the sound is this huge scary place, and for people being negligent it can be but it shouldnt scare you off. I have run an 11 foot whaler from BI to Humpy Hollow, to PnP, and even as far as Mid-Channel. Pick your weather and days, it is no issue.
I grew up rowing a 12' sailing dinghy all around the north end of Bainbridge and up to Jeff Head at times. Caught a lot of fish from that boat and had a lot of blisters.
The shoreline you are going to be on doesnt have huge currents but you will still get carried around a bit. I'd recommend an anchor for your SRC fishing and slowing yourself down along the beaches.

Crab pots like a danielson will get moved by the current and without a depth finder be careful where you drop. 100 feet of rope is suffficient to crab in 80 feet of water. So weight your pots and dont let go of the rope before they hit bottom. We have 10+ feet of tidal exchange and everyone complains about pots getting stolen. Most are just set improperly.

good luck and enjoy it.

SquatchinSince86

Anyone here seen or have tried a Saturn Kaboat in the sound? I have been looking at the 15' XL with a small outboard for near shore saltwater and some lakes.

What about RIBs in general?

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Not in the sound, but several years ago I read an article about some folks going offshore to fish for tuna. As they rig up (in a big boat, 35'+ long), two guys come putting up in a 12' aluminum cartopper - this is 5 or more miles off shore. They had two gas tanks in the boat. They told the author they figured they'd motor out until the first one was empty, and use the second to get back to shore. No word on their success or failure, but mighty stupid to be out of sight of land in a boat that small.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts