Trip Report High Life in the Low Country

Prickly Claire

This has been an absolutely brutal winter for me. I mostly managed to tip toe through the raindrops after coming out this summer, but as the season turned dark, my life turned with it. I suppose it was inevitable that there would be folks in my life who just would not be able to keep walking with me down the road I've taken, but for a good minute, it seemed that I was going to miss out on the experience of losing important people from my life.

Unfortunately, when it finally did happen, it was the person who has meant more to me in my adult life than anyone else. We dated 15 years ago, and it was tumultuous to say the least, but we parted as the best of friends, and that had endured. She was the rock that gave me the foundation to get through the worst times I've ever had. Her father died when she was a teenager, and when she got married, I gave her away. When her mother passed three years ago, I was a pallbearer at the funeral. We were close. But, in the end, this proved to be a path she couldn't walk with me, and she recently turned on me in a pretty vicious way. I'm prone to seasonal depressions anyway, but her betrayal has spun me into the darkest spiral I've had in 20 years or more. It hasn't helped that getting hormone replacement dialed in is more art than science, and while we've pretty well got testosterone suppressed, my estrogen levels have not gotten there yet to compensate. There's just no go juice there right now, and that wasn't caught until my labs came through at the end of January. My doc doubled my estrogen dose, and that seems to be helping, but I really, really need things to go right for me so I can pull out of this dive.

Thankfully, my cousin Drew hit me up late last week to suggest I come down and fish with him in the SC Low Country where he makes his home, so I packed my shit up and burned up the highway to go see him in Beaufort. It turned out to be just what the doctor ordered, and just when I needed it most.

The weather was absolutely spectacular, warm sun, a gentle breeze and blue skies to catch the eyes.

The fishing was almost as good as the weather. Each day, we hiked out to a nice beachside cut and laid them the hell out. If you've never been on a hot winter speck bite, it is truly something else. There must have been thousands of fish stacked up in the cut, and almost every cast resulted in a fish. We caught them each day until we literally got bored and headed back to the shack for beer and bullshitting. The only downside was a bottom littered with barnacle encrusted snags, and many clousers were sacrificed to the gods of the sea.

Every once in a while, I picked off a bonus fish from amongst the ranks of the trout.

I bummed around Beaufort a little between tides. I've always thought it is one of the most beautiful small towns in the South.

It's been a slog, but I came home feeling rejuvenated. As they say, "Jah will provide."{

Cheers y'all!

Claire

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
That looks like a lot of fun and a welcome respite from winter. We had 5.2" of snow last night here in Madison, WI, on top of snow from previous blizzards that's never melted, making SC even more attractive.

Prickly Claire

That looks like a lot of fun and a welcome respite from winter. We had 5.2" of snow last night here in Madison, WI, on top of snow from previous blizzards that's never melted, making SC even more attractive.
There are certainly advantages to living in a place where our fisheries are mostly accessible and productive throughout the calendar year.

Hem

Clearly your path is a difficult one. Your honesty on this site is amazing...dunno maybe the anonymity helps with the process of coming out.
In any case, sounds like a great fishing trip. Thanks for sharing.
I had one observation. It would appear you missed painting a few fingers. Might want to tidy that up:)

Prickly Claire

Clearly your path is a difficult one. Your honesty on this site is amazing...dunno maybe the anonymity helps with the process of coming out.
I have found this community (this one specifically, yes, but the fly fishing community in general) to be tremendously supportive. It has, at every turn, reinforced my faith in humanity. It's been good for the soul.

I had one observation. It would appear you missed painting a few fingers. Might want to tidy that up:)
I was doing so well with not breaking my acrylics off until I got down there. Whatever Mekong Delta witch glue they use doesn't appear to really be rated for saltwater environments, though, and when I hooked up with some of the reds, the line was wedging under the nails and the first surge from the fish would pop one loose on occasion. Hazards of the game, I guess.

Prickly Claire

I grew up in the Lowcountry an hour north of Beaufort. And no, nothing beats the fun of schooled up specks mixed with redfish and flounder. Some mighty fine eating too! Headed back that way in March to see my folks and plan to take a rod along.
Git 'em!

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
I have found this community (this one specifically, yes, but the fly fishing community in general) to be tremendously supportive. It has, at every turn, reinforced my faith in humanity. It's been good for the soul.

I was doing so well with not breaking my acrylics off until I got down there. Whatever Mekong Delta witch glue they use doesn't appear to really be rated for saltwater environments, though, and when I hooked up with some of the reds, the line was wedging under the nails and the first surge from the fish would pop one loose on occasion. Hazards of the game, I guess.
It was evident that you Reel with your left hand. I have busted a knuckle or two on Lake Ontario steelhead. Hazards indeed

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info