Looking for a hike with a 4 year old.

kyle

I was planning on going gem hunting this weekend but with all the rain seems like it would be a mess. Now I’m trying to find maybe a shortish hike under 4miles I could do with my daughter 4 and wife. I was thinking lake Lena but looks frozen I was hoping to try out my new 3w Winston if possible on this hike.

Peyton00

From yelm you have the hikes over near the skokomish river. Or you can see if greenwater lakes near greenwater off hiway 410 are accessible.

Shad

I personally cannot recommend any 4-mile hike with a 4-year old. That sounds like the recipe for a complaining daughter, an annoyed wife, and sore back and shoulders for Dad for days to come. I get why you want to hike to a lake (fishing mountain lakes is about the best reason I can imagine for hiking), but most of those hikes tend to be leg burners and lung busters. There are some cool lowland/foothills lakes that are a short, relatively easy hike in (Satsop Lakes or Spider Lake come to mind in this category) if a quick fishing fix is a must.

I just thought about a place I think you and the fam would enjoy. Check out Lake Sylvia state park in Montesano. Easy drive to a very pretty lake with hiking trails that go all around the perimeter and elsewhere. Good place to view wildlife and occasionally try to find a spot to cast a fly line. Most fish are small, but they do plant a decent number of 3-5 pound bows each year.

All that said, I strongly recommend the WTA site. Lots of info, most useful of which may be the plentiful trip reports people post after doing hikes. They rate hikes by difficulty, altitude gain, and distance, and reports will give you a good idea about trail conditions and how challenging the hike is for folks at different experience levels. Even if you don't go hiking, you can easily spend half a day dreaming about some of the destinations while reading reports. We live in a beautiful place!

wetline dave

Keep in mind there is still a lot of snow in the lower foot hills. Be sure to check and see if the lake you are going to is open for fishing.

Dave

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
I personally cannot recommend any 4-mile hike with a 4-year old. That sounds like the recipe for a complaining daughter, an annoyed wife, and sore back and shoulders for Dad for days to come. I get why you want to hike to a lake (fishing mountain lakes is about the best reason I can imagine for hiking), but most of those hikes tend to be leg burners and lung busters. There are some cool lowland/foothills lakes that are a short, relatively easy hike in (Satsop Lakes or Spider Lake come to mind in this category) if a quick fishing fix is a must.

I just thought about a place I think you and the fam would enjoy. Check out Lake Sylvia state park in Montesano. Easy drive to a very pretty lake with hiking trails that go all around the perimeter and elsewhere. Good place to view wildlife and occasionally try to find a spot to cast a fly line. Most fish are small, but they do plant a decent number of 3-5 pound bows each year.

All that said, I strongly recommend the WTA site. Lots of info, most useful of which may be the plentiful trip reports people post after doing hikes. They rate hikes by difficulty, altitude gain, and distance, and reports will give you a good idea about trail conditions and how challenging the hike is for folks at different experience levels. Even if you don't go hiking, you can easily spend half a day dreaming about some of the destinations while reading reports. We live in a beautiful place!
I'll add that if you go to Sylvia, try the lower 2 mile hike below the dam-last time I was there, the upper trail on north east end was inundated by a standing water caused by a beaver dam and it was knee deep and mucky. Probably have to turn back if the same. Been that way on and off for years so I do not anticipate the dam going anywhere soon. But, never know.

The lower 2 miler has some grunt hills so probably max out a 4 year-old, or old guys like me.

kyle

From yelm you have the hikes over near the skokomish river. Or you can see if greenwater lakes near greenwater off hiway 410 are accessible.
Greenwater is usually where we hike. We live in puyallup now. I was just looking for some new ideas. Good recommendation though greenwater likes is an excellent hike for a small kid. Last summer mine ran the whole way there and back.

kyle

My kid is actually only happy outdoors and can do surprisingly long hikes at a pretty good clip. Of course I haven’t taken her on any serious elevation changes without being in the backpack. Last summer when she was still three she was doing 3-5 mile hikes without complaint or assistance. And then trying to convince me to take her to the park on the way home. I am a member on WTA and have volunteered on trail restorations with them in the past. It is a great organization and resource for hikes. Thanks

kyle

Thanks for all the ideas. I see the weather is going to break on Saturday maybe we’ll go digging crystals after all. That will be a new experience.

Birdsnest

The Boulder River trail near Darrington is a nice relatively flat hike that can be done anytime of the year. No fishing possible this time of year, but it is a beautiful out-and-back hike where you can go as far or short as you like.

Shad

My kid is actually only happy outdoors and can do surprisingly long hikes at a pretty good clip. Of course I haven’t taken her on any serious elevation changes without being in the backpack. Last summer when she was still three she was doing 3-5 mile hikes without complaint or assistance. And then trying to convince me to take her to the park on the way home. I am a member on WTA and have volunteered on trail restorations with them in the past. It is a great organization and resource for hikes. Thanks
I envy your child's love of the outdoors. Very cool.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
I am with Shad, a young child learning the love of the outdoors, great stuff. I was 5 years old when our not so hikerly family hiked up towards the Enchanted Valley..around 1970. I'll never forget it, sleeping out in a damp sleeping bag. Naked hippies diving into the Quinault..

We made it halfway and came back the next day. My younger brother was 4 on that trip (he is off to do the full PCT trail in a couple of months), and he and I made the full trip eventually and more many times since, but the 3 adults with us have passed on..so I will always be thankful for getting us out there early and getting a taste of nature !

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts