Fly Fishing river boats for those of us without Trucks.

Hendodesign

I've been intrigued by the new flycraft three person boat since I don't have a truck to haul around a full size drift boat. I've got my trusty outback that I have towed around my 14' Wilderness Systems ATAK fishing kayak on a Malone MicroSport for the last few years but I am using that more for lakes. I'm liking the idea of having a 2-3 person smaller framed raft that I can tow over the hill to float the Yakima, or down to Oregon to float the John Day, or Rogue since I don't trust my noob rowing abilities on the class III Deschutes rapids.

The flycraft looks rad but 5K is an investment for sure. Luckily I think it will fit on my microsport if I add a roller to the back of it. Im curious what some of you guys who don't own trucks use for river floats. Or perhaps the answer is step 1. Get a truck. :D

Last edited:

Shad

Depending on what non-truck you drive, you may be able to pull a drift boat just fine (in a lot of places; primitive launch sites may be a no-go).

That same $5K will put you in a very nice, used drifter, which kind of sounds like what you really want. You can get down the river just fine (maybe better in low water) in toons and rafts, but nothing beats a drifter for all around comfort and convenience while fishing in normal conditions.

Two cents...

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Before spending $5K on a new raft that only has a three year warranty, you should definitely looking at some other options that are out there.
SF

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Yeah I've seen those flycraft, they are tiny! I think they were designed to be broken down to fit in a trunk (Pita).
I have a Aire Puma and do kind of wished I got a bigger one, but I'm stuck with the limited room in the garage :)

Hendodesign

Good to hear that the outback is capable of towing a full drift boat. Will it tow an aluminum one or should I keep my peepers open for a fiberglass one like a clackacraft or hyde. I'm assuming the lighter the better given its a 4 cylinder boxer engine.

Hendodesign

Yeah I've seen those flycraft, they are tiny! I think they were designed to be broken down to fit in a trunk (Pita).
I have a Aire Puma and do kind of wished I got a bigger one, but I'm stuck with the limited room in the garage :)
This is really good to hear. Im a big dude. 6'4" 300 big. I was watching the fly fish food video with cheech rowing one and I was like he's bigger but I'm sure it was a tight fit for us Viking fishermen.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
D1146672-D860-4A6E-8C68-B0D01A98EE1B.png @Hendodesign .... Are you interested in a Dave Scadden three seater pontoon boat with a trailer? It’s been sitting in our RV lot under a tarp for years and has barely been used. There is nothing wrong with it, except it has been outside (and it could be cleaned up a bit more since the tarp would blow off sometimes).

My husband and nephew and friend Keith (who owns it with my husband) took it out on American Lake a couple of weekends ago after not using it for over ten years. But as we’ve gotten older they decided it wasn’t the way they like to fish anymore. And I NEVER wanted to fish from that boat, though i think my husband imagined that he and i would take it out alone often.

I know they are interested in selling it, but too lazy to advertise it right now. When i told them our maintenance guy said he had a friend interested they said they were ready, but that guy has yet to come see it. I’m pretty sure they will let it go for less than it’s worth.

It looks like the exact same boat sold for $1000 on OfferUp without a trailer.

Above is a photo the Offer up one i found online that looks like ours. And the bottom one is ours taken a couple of weeks ago. My husband pulled it with his Honda Element.
7FDC26BF-AE28-4B80-B565-3D684788DC21.jpeg

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
I see the smaller Toyota trucks pulling 14' boats with outboard motors. A 16' aluminum drift boat isn't very heavy. Call a dealer for a weight comparison, for boat/raft and trailer. Get a real trailer not something from Harbor Freight, 14" are a must.

Hendodesign

View attachment 227023 @Hendodesign .... Are you interested in a Dave Scadden three seater pontoon boat with a trailer? It’s been sitting in our RV lot under a tarp for years and has barely been used. There is nothing wrong with it, except it has been outside (and it could be cleaned up a bit more since the tarp would blow off sometimes).

My husband and nephew and friend Keith (who owns it with my husband) took it out on American Lake a couple of weekends ago after not using it for over ten years. But as we’ve gotten older they decided it wasn’t the way they like to fish anymore. And I NEVER wanted to fish from that boat, though i think my husband imagined that he and i would take it out alone often.

I know they are interested in selling it, but too lazy to advertise it right now. When i told them our maintenance guy said he had a friend interested they said they were ready, but that guy has yet to come see it. I’m pretty sure they will let it go for less than it’s worth.

It looks like the exact same boat sold for $1000 on OfferUp without a trailer.

Above is a photo the Offer up one i found online that looks like ours. And the bottom one is ours taken a couple of weeks ago. My husband pulled it with his Honda Element.
View attachment 227022

Last edited:

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
Hendo - you do realize there’s no one perfect boat? You need a raft and drift boat from the way this thread rambles :cool:
There’s nothing wrong with the Scadden boat Jojo offers, its Scadden service that’s suspect. Personally I like Catchercraft - good luck. Fun times figuring it out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info