Sea Run Cutt question

SHEEPHUNTER1

I am completely overcome by this need to catch my first Anadromous Cutthroat in the salt. So I have loaded up on as many books specifically about them in their marine environment as I can.(purchase any that I come across) In the books and throughout my quest for knowledge search. I have found that Sculpin are a food source in fresh water. As they are in all fresh water food chains with Trout.
My questions are... Are Sculpin present in salt water? If they are not, are Sculpin patterns a fly pattern to use in the marine environment to target SRC's. Maybe, a case of basic predatory response.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
You might want to check out Tacoma Red’s reply in the following thread regarding the diet of searun cutts.
SF

SHEEPHUNTER1

You might want to check out Tacoma Red’s reply in the following thread regarding the diet of searun cutts.
SF

Thank you. I find the scientific aspect SUPER informative.

miyawaki

Don’t expect to find many in the salt now. I’m sure you read about their spawning times in the books. They come out of their natal streams along with chum and pink fry and can get fairly selective. But soon they’ll be on sculpin, Polychaete worms, candlefish, surf perch, herring, terrestrials, and damn near everything that moves.

Leland

SHEEPHUNTER1

Don’t expect to find many in the salt now. I’m sure you read about their spawning times in the books. They come out of their natal streams along with chum and pink fry and can get fairly selective. But soon they’ll be on sculpin, Polychaete worms, candlefish, surf perch, herring, terrestrials, and damn near everything that moves.

Leland
Thanks, I wasn't expecting any this time of year from what I've heard. But I live on Whidbey and new to salt and dream of the time when I do catch one.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I am completely overcome by this need to catch my first Anadromous Cutthroat in the salt. So I have loaded up on as many books specifically about them in their marine environment as I can.(purchase any that I come across) In the books and throughout my quest for knowledge search. I have found that Sculpin are a food source in fresh water. As they are in all fresh water food chains with Trout.
My questions are... Are Sculpin present in salt water? If they are not, are Sculpin patterns a fly pattern to use in the marine environment to target SRC's. Maybe, a case of basic predatory response.
They are called Bullheads in the salt. Used to enjoy catching them when I was a lot younger.. We would catch them and leave them on the deck to get a sun tan. Used small crabs for bait.

wetswinger

Thanks, I wasn't expecting any this time of year from what I've heard. But I live on Whidbey and new to salt and dream of the time when I do catch one.
Well dream of going, today. You’re not going to get one sitting on the couch. Get out and go. Hooking a resident-silver is a good by product of SRC fishing and there’s plenty of them around. By the way, Sculpins are all cool looking fish...

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
North Sound can be tough this time of year.
It should pick up in late April / early May but expect to encounter some snaky post spawn fish.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts