Some positive news for Willamette steelhead

Chromer J

WILLAMETTE WILD STEELHEAD REBOUND CONTINUES
FEBRUARY 19, 2020
Without California sea lions intercepting them at the falls this winter, wild Willamette steelhead are making it upriver in numbers not seen so early in several years, helping to sharply reduce their risk of extinction.

And the cumulative Feb. 13 count of 1,650 fish points to what might come in as the largest return to the Western Oregon watershed since 2016.....

Rob Allen

WILLAMETTE WILD STEELHEAD REBOUND CONTINUES
FEBRUARY 19, 2020
Without California sea lions intercepting them at the falls this winter, wild Willamette steelhead are making it upriver in numbers not seen so early in several years, helping to sharply reduce their risk of extinction.

And the cumulative Feb. 13 count of 1,650 fish points to what might come in as the largest return to the Western Oregon watershed since 2016.....

Any good news we can get :)

Mickeyd

Now remove the river nets...
You’ll see another increase.
Imagine that.
It’s not rocket science.
It now appears wdfw is pushing in the opposite direction.
They have been, in partnership with a gill netter, conducting a fish trap test fishery near Cathlamet. A wdfw biologist that is working with them, told me that the goal is to employ many (no projected number mentioned) of these in ADDITION to gill nets.

These traps were outlawed by both Oregon and Washington back in the 30's and early 40's as they were far more effective than gill nets and were rapidly wiping out all the runs. Now they want to bring them back??
While, supposedly, no decision has been made the biologist made it clear that if the feds will issue permitting for the use of these the traps will happen.

Perhaps we need to organize a petition drive to get all commercial nets/fishing off all sections of the lower Columbia. No non-tribal commercial fishing.. period.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
It now appears wdfw is pushing in the opposite direction.
They have been, in partnership with a gill netter, conducting a fish trap test fishery near Cathlamet. A wdfw biologist that is working with them, told me that the goal is to employ many (no projected number mentioned) of these in ADDITION to gill nets.

These traps were outlawed by both Oregon and Washington back in the 30's and early 40's as they were far more effective than gill nets and were rapidly wiping out all the runs. Now they want to bring them back??
While, supposedly, no decision has been made the biologist made it clear that if the feds will issue permitting for the use of these the traps will happen.

Perhaps we need to organize a petition drive to get all commercial nets/fishing off all sections of the lower Columbia. No non-tribal commercial fishing.. period.

The reason they are testing the fish traps is because they can release every single wild fish completely unharmed. Unlike gill nets where the wild fish is dead upon release.

FinLuver

Kicked
The reason they are testing the fish traps is because they can release every single wild fish completely unharmed. Unlike gill nets where the wild fish is dead upon release.
24 hours manning??
Live wells of overcrowded and over stressed fish??
Otherwise, it may not work.

Mickeyd

Ya, that's the theory. If that's the justification then why not ELIMINATE the gill nets? Why is this to be in addition to the nets?
As to the issue of wild fish ....don't confuse wild with 'natural' production. With over 100 years of heavy hatchery production throughout the Columbia basin the chances of coming into contact with a fish that has no ancestor with hatchery origin is extremely remote...bordering on the impossible.
Bottom line is there should be no non Indian commercial fishery in any part of the Columbia basin!

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Because both WA and OR sold out to the comercial lobbyist, and betrayed every sportsmen that pays their bills.

That is why I said Wild and not Native, although there is some Native gene's running around and some with very little integration.

I dont think there should be any Non Tribal comercial fisheries in the entire state, period!

FinLuver

Kicked
Because both WA and OR sold out to the comercial lobbyist, and betrayed every sportsmen that pays their bills.

That is why I said Wild and not Native, although there is some Native gene's running around and some with very little integration.

I dont think there should be any Non Tribal comercial fisheries in the entire state, period!
Nets are nets...they have no skin color.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts