Anchor for South Sound

Jaybird

Curious if anyone has suggestions for what style of anchor would be best suited for cruising the shoreline fishing for src and rezzies? Also, what is a good length of rope to have on board? This would be for a 13 ft Boston Whaler Sport I recently bought. One consideration is minimal storage.

Reactions: Zak

Roger Stephens

Curious if anyone has suggestions for what style of anchor would be best suited for cruising the shoreline fishing for src and rezzies? Also, what is a good length of rope to have on board? This would be for a 13 ft Boston Whaler Sport I recently bought. One consideration is minimal storage.

I use a 25 lb. lead pyramid anchor off the front of a 15 ft. aluminum boat. The anchor and 40 ft. of braided rope is raised and lowered off the bow of the boat using a jam cleat and roller. A pyramid anchor very rarely hangs up on the bottom. If it does, i have always been able to free it. This system will hold the boat in tidal current up to 4 mph.

Roger

How about an auxiliary trolling motor with a handless foot control so you can cast and control it at the same time.
Agreed. I fish the south sound out of a 16' dory but I've never fished while anchored. All of my fishing is done while being powered by an electric trolling motor. With the trolling motor, I can drift with the tide while maintaining the orientation of the boat or hold a fixed position against the tide.

You don't need a saltwater-specific trolling motor if you're not going to leave it in the water and you rinse it thoroughly when you use it. I've used a standard transom-mount Minn Kota Traxxis this way for years. If you're going to buy an electric troller, I highly recommend looking for one with digital speed control. The extended battery range and ability to fine-tune your speed is worth the extra expense.

I do carry a 12 lb Roloff anchor, mainly for emergencies in case both of my motors go down.

Last edited:

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
I have the same type of boat. I use a danforth type, I think it’s 6 pounds. It fits in the splash well at the bow and is only used very occasionally.

I have thought about mounting a trolling motor, but have been stopped by the weight of batteries needed, and the fact that it needs an extra long shaft motor, whereas the one I have is a standard shaft :(. There is a reinforced area for mounting on the port side of the bow in that model.

Jake

Considered this, also considering mounting oar locks on it and rowing it like a drift boat in heavier current areas.
A friend who guides on the Sound uses a pole with his BW Montauk. Doesn’t use oars, though, but that might be a boat size thing.

Jaybird

A friend who guides on the Sound uses a pole with his BW Montauk. Doesn’t use oars, though, but that might be a boat size thing.
I could see the pole being useful in certain areas in the sound, but seems like much of the time if you are 50-75 ft off the shore, it might be too deep?

Jaybird

I have the same type of boat. I use a danforth type, I think it’s 6 pounds. It fits in the splash well at the bow and is only used very occasionally.

I have thought about mounting a trolling motor, but have been stopped by the weight of batteries needed, and the fact that it needs an extra long shaft motor, whereas the one I have is a standard shaft :(. There is a reinforced area for mounting on the port side of the bow in that model.
Good to know! I guess i need to decide if i want to go with bow mounted or stern. Seems like bow mounted with foot pedal would be the most practical if im fishing by myself but the downside is the added cost of that type of motor and having to mount it. Would be nice to just clamp it on the back and go! Just not sure if it would be practical if solo fishing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts