Anchor for South Sound

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Good to know! I guess i need to decide if i want to go with bow mounted or stern. Seems like bow mounted with foot pedal would be the most practical if im fishing by myself but the downside is the added cost of that type of motor and having to mount it. Would be nice to just clamp it on the back and go! Just not sure if it would be practical if solo fishing.
I haven’t been able to come up with a way to effectively mount a trolling motor on the back of my whaler. There’s no place to clamp it, and any permanent mount ends up being so far off the centerline that you’d just go round in circles. Bow mount would be the way to go, but the expense and weight of the batteries has stopped me thus far.

As for the use of a push pole, after thinking about it for a long time, I finally made one last fall and it was really good for the short and not so sweet chum season that we had. It will get more use in the future.

Jeff Dodd

I agree with @Roger Stephens. A lead pyramid anchor is a good anchor for fishing. Easy to deploy and retrieve for frequent moves. & no chain required! — easy to deploy.

The chain is PITA for this kind of fishing.

Don’t allow the anchor to dangle while running in chop. Run the anchor rode through a stern line and ring so you stop retrieving the anchor line 8’ below the bow and then pull the anchor into the boat from your helm position, and off you go to the next stop.

Keep in mind that anchors don't mix well with geoduck and some oyster shellfish beds. Not only for the potential damage to the shellfish beds but also the possibility of getting your anchor hung up. This is yet another reason to scout the beaches during a low tide.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I've given a lot of thought to a push pole as well, and while I can think of a few spots where it would be useful, I decided that since most of the areas I fish in the south sound often have current that is too strong for a pole that I just couldn't justify it.

I think one could really shine on the canal.

I use a Danforth on my boat for the odd time I'm able to anchor. Ultimately I just dont find myself doing it much. While I enjoy it when I can, I find the currents are often too strong, and more so the fish seem to constantly move just out of casting range as soon as I get setup on the hook.

I think a trolling motor with the GPS functions is the way to go. Spot lock would be a godsend out there. Push a button to stay in position then push it again to move a bit. I'm still trying to figure out how to install one on my boat

Buzzy

There's no comparison for control between a bow mount electric and transom mount (in my not humble opinion). Any breeze across the bow with your transom mount and you're into a hard correction where as a bow mount pulls you through this (not saying you won't have to correct steerage). If you are serious about solo and want to be able to control your boat hands free, find a foot control bow mount unit. Again, just my not humble opinion (I have used and owned both).

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Good to know! I guess i need to decide if i want to go with bow mounted or stern. Seems like bow mounted with foot pedal would be the most practical if im fishing by myself but the downside is the added cost of that type of motor and having to mount it. Would be nice to just clamp it on the back and go! Just not sure if it would be practical if solo fishing.
What kind of railings does your Whaler have. I have read you cannot use a bow mounted trolling motor on the boats with the tall front rails.

If anyone knows different, let me know. I am extraordinarily close to pulling the trigger on a 17 foot BW Montauk but the railing situation is concerning. I suppose I could remove them easily?

ffb

What kind of railings does your Whaler have. I have read you cannot use a bow mounted trolling motor on the boats with the tall front rails.

If anyone knows different, let me know. I am extraordinarily close to pulling the trigger on a 17 foot BW Montauk but the railing situation is concerning. I suppose I could remove them easily?
I've been looking at boats as well. Here's an idea that would probably work pretty well: https://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2014/october/mounting-a-trolling-motor.asp

Rodney Bryan

Rodney Bryan
WFF Supporter

I am very interested in a solution, I have a BW Montauk 17 that I need a trolling motor solution for

Yes, it can be done, but it may depend on the hull configuration. I have a 1999 Montauk 17 with full bow railing and a bow mount trolling motor. The mount is on the front left corner. Both sides - front left and right corners have a location for the mount and are just outside the railing so no interference.
I am not familiar with the current generation hulls.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Thanks all and sorry @Jaybird for hijacking your thread a tad. I came curious in your question and thought this was relevant considering the direction the thread went. Bottom line, it looks like I can probably make it work.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Thanks all and sorry @Jaybird for hijacking your thread a tad. I came curious in your question and thought this was relevant considering the direction the thread went. Bottom line, it looks like I can probably make it work.
Might be worth a call to the BW dealer in Seattle to see what they electric mounting suggest / options for the model and rail configuration you are thinking about buying.
The other option would be to buy a boat without rails and have someone make rails for you in a configuration that will accommodate and electric up front.
SF

Buzzy

I've given a lot of thought to a push pole as well, and while I can think of a few spots where it would be useful, I decided that since most of the areas I fish in the south sound often have current that is too strong for a pole that I just couldn't justify it.

I think one could really shine on the canal.

I use a Danforth on my boat for the odd time I'm able to anchor. Ultimately I just dont find myself doing it much. While I enjoy it when I can, I find the currents are often too strong, and more so the fish seem to constantly move just out of casting range as soon as I get setup on the hook.

I think a trolling motor with the GPS functions is the way to go. Spot lock would be a godsend out there. Push a button to stay in position then push it again to move a bit. I'm still trying to figure out how to install one on my boat
Nick - I've been pushing my 14' Hewescraft around for just a tad over 20 years. My pole is a wood dowel, coated with bed liner, not one of the carbon fiber units that the flats guides use. It works over here in stillwater and on the Columbia River pool above Priest Rapids. It doesn't work to stake the boat if the bottom is rocky or hard. If there's wind, it can be a pain in the shoulders quite quickly - and I don't have to deal with current like you have in the Sound and on the Canal. But if a guy wanted to try a pole, a 16' dowel (1.5" diameter or 2" if you have big hands) would be a cheap test.

Brandon S

WFF Supporter
I have a 17' Montauk with the bow mount gps trolling motor and its a fishing machine in the sound. Use it hard all day and the battery still has half a charge at the end. It makes boat handling a non-issue and its super quiet. At this point I don't think I could fish without it! Snaped a couple photos of the setup, essentially just a quick release mounting block on the bow, the battery fits nicely in the bow anchor box.

Attachments

Jaybird

Its a Sport model, so just the side railings. Bow mount should be doable on it. I think the Super Sport is the one with the rail all around the bow.

Milt Roe

I keep an 8 lb downrigger ball in the bow of my cedar skiff for use as an anchor. It takes up minimal space and holds the boat just fine when I need it. I rarely use it because I prefer to fish while drifting along the shoreline occasionally working the oars to maintain distance from the shoreline, but in some situations comes in handy.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts