Fish Finders

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Who would've thought that a simple question on fish finders/depth finders would have stirred up such emotion in the purists (hopefully they don't fish bead head flies or the occasional split shot...or a sinking line)....carry on.

From the sounds of things, most people like to use them for depth, water temp, and structure. Hell, I get so many false positives for fish on my little one that I can't really trust it. I've floated directly over a fish in 15' of water and it wouldn't register it as a fish, but it would think the log 10' further was a big musky. I dunno if it's really helped me with individual fish, but because I use it for depth, it certainly keeps me in the right neighborhood.

don't like them? cool. like them? cool.

Last edited:

pond monkey

When I’m looking to anchor up and commit to a spot for a while, I want to be marking fish...that said it depends on the lake the depth.....
In productive water over 15 feet deep I expect to mark fish....
If I see fish several feet off the bottom, that is where I’ll set my indicator....
To me marking fish on my screen is the next best thing to seeing fish rise...I’m not going ignore the marks that see in the fish finder’s coverage area just because I think they shouldn’t be there....

Buzzy

I get considering electronics cheating.....
Seriously, whatever. @kmudgn’s not alone with his thinking, opinions vary.

+1 Vote for the sidescan Humminbird units. Sometimes being able to rotate the transducer when anchored I can find a location where fish are moving, for example, a slot up onto a shoal. Note: anchored! The Fishin Buddies 120 and 140c are great for this. Just grab the handle and slowly turn the unit. Distance provided but not depth in side scan. Cheating? I guess so, like using another tool: oars, fins, floating line, strike indicator, sharp hooks and the beat goes on.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon fairly often, spot on.

Last edited:

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
So I and many can veg out on the latest and greatest high tech gadget but am cheating if I use a depthfinder to tell me depth, bottom composition, water temperature, etc.
I guess I better quit fishing and throw my cellphone and fancy graphite rod and space age reel and 100% artificial fly line along with all my flys containing synthetic materials in the lake. :rolleyes:
20170805_105957.jpg

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
So I and many can veg out on the latest and greatest high tech gadget but am cheating if I use a depthfinder to tell me depth, bottom composition, water temperature, etc.
I guess I better quit fishing and throw my cellphone and fancy graphite rod and space age reel and 100% artificial fly line along with all my flys containing synthetic materials in the lake. :rolleyes:
View attachment 227509
..and don't fly on airplanes that use radar to see through clouds-the Red Baron never did that!

kmudgn

I realize that it is just my opinion (as a purist, and dry fly snob), but if you "need" a fish finder to fly fish you should instead get yourself a hickory stick, piece of string, cork, and a worm. Oh wait, never mind, that's Tenkara

Buzzy

I realize that it is just my opinion (as a purist, and dry fly snob), but if you "need" a fish finder to fly fish you should instead get yourself a hickory stick, piece of string, cork, and a worm. Oh wait, never mind, that's Tenkara
I primarily fish lakes and not small streams (brooks?). On those days when I fish little creeks, my sonar unit is home. On those occasions I too am a snob, a purist EXCEPT I fish a graphite stick, not bamboo but my caddis is elk hair. :cool:

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
How long do your horsehair fly lines last you?
Where do you find gut leaders these days?
I'd like to see you all dolled up in your tweed jacket, knickers and bowler hat working your beat with your ghillie.
Meh....

Speyrod GB

I have used a sonar on my boat for fishing tigers and SRC. Fish finder is kind of a misnomer. I have had "fish" show up numerous times. That doesn't mean I can make them bite. I used the depth feature the most. I also learned how to mark structures or underwater hills and shelves.

Do I consider it cheating? Not one bit. It helps me figure out the lake bottom. I usually have no problem reading a stream/river. I learned most of river reading by wading, snorkeling and a lot of fishing. Snorkeling a large reservoir, say Mayfield Lake, as an example, would take some serious time. I would probably have to renew my PADI scuba card, not to mention the risk of getting run over by water skiers and jet skis.

Being able to mark features and structures on several separate bodies of water is always nice, especially out on Puget Sound or then Canal. As I get older, my memory doesn't always work as well as I would like it. The GPS feature is really nice when the fog rolls in to. That is another story.

After reading this thread, I'm now thinking about a small unit for my Nucanoe. It never ends, rods, reels, different fly patterns, waders, clothing, coolers and whatever else floats my boat. No pun intended, ok, maybe a lil intention.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts