Fish Finders

Mike Ediger

WFF Supporter
Nobody needs electronics of any kind to fly fish a lake. But I think it was @IveofIone A few years ago who compared using electronics while fishing to driving across country using a map or gps. No one needs a map, or a GPS to drive across country. Just head east and you’ll get there eventually. But Google maps can tell you where exits are, or points of interest, or gas stations or how far to the next restaurant. How in the world is that cheating? Sure as long as you have your eyes open you’ll find all those things eventually. So if you’re the type who just wants to head east go for it. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact sometimes it’s fun to be spontaneous and just go out for a drive. But more often than not I like to plan a little bit, just makes it more enjoyable for me.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I realize that it is just my opinion (as a purist, and dry fly snob), but if you "need" a fish finder to fly fish you should instead get yourself a hickory stick, piece of string, cork, and a worm. Oh wait, never mind, that's Tenkara
Tenkara anglers have been using artificial flies for ~300 years.
Keiryu anglers have traditionally used live nymphs under indicators.
1582438890686.jpg

pond monkey

I don't use a fish finder as I consider it cheating. Figuring out what the fish are taking and where they are lying is the real difference between a fly fisher and a worm dunker/rapella user.. Its tough to have a "zen" moment on the water when you are looking at a screen
I think I’m like most guys that use finders.....once set up and fishing, I only glance at the screen from time to time.....I’m there to fish and I’m focused on my indicator.....
As for cheating, I disagree.....fishing is not a religion to me....I fish for fun....and satisfaction......if it were a religion, I’d probably have a hard time hooking and torturing fish .......then releasing them purely for entertainment purposes....

RichieRich

Might not be the most appropriate place to be asking but does anyone out there that fishes from a boat use fish finders to judge where fish maybe holed up at..? I'm planning to fish more on small to large rivers and small lakes. I'm looking at getting a Sea Eagle 285 Pro FPL in a few weeks and see that there is provision for mounting a fish finder on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type, make of fish finder might be the best to get or is it maybe just a waste of time thinking about it..? I'm thinking something that would offer side scanning might be good..
……..I own a huminbird with a 60 degree transducer beam and I find it indispensable at times...I use it to find fish from 15' -60' and the gps is great for staying on the fish....

cdnred

Are you looking for portable, or will you be mounting a transducer?
I'm looking for something portable that's easy to move around and carry. Something that would work on a kayak and inflatable...

Thanls for all the input. I see that fish finders have more to offer then just finding fish..

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I'm looking for something portable that's easy to move around and carry. Something that would work on a kayak and inflatable...

Thanls for all the input. I see that fish finders have more to offer then just finding fish..
Have you visited the floatubefanatics website or fishfinder mounts .com? They have ready made solutions for the very thing you are looking for. Everything is already engineered and all you have to do is mount it on the boat and start fishing. Turn key installation.

Jim Travers

If u ain't cheatin' u ain't competin'. That's the approach I'm takin to the big waters these days. Any "fish finder" gonna work - electronic fancy deals, work of mouth or AGGRESSIVE questioning to know exactly where to fish prior to leaving home. Cause as good as I am I dont to waste time scoutin waters that's lower tier work

Tinker

Coigrich
I don't use a fish finder as I consider it cheating. Figuring out what the fish are taking and where they are lying is the real difference between a fly fisher and a worm dunker/rapella user.. Its tough to have a "zen" moment on the water when you are looking at a screen
I get it. I've been a Buck Perry devotee for decades but even Mr. Perry jumped onto the fish flasher bandwagon when they were first introduced. Unless you're fishing only topwater flies, you're doing what a fish finder can do, just doing it manually.

I use my finders for information about bottom composition (hard or soft) and structure, just as I once used an Official Buck Perry spoon. I can't say I've ever managed to identify a fish on any of them, even when I can see the fish passing beneath me. I bought my first finder when most of my fishing started being out of my kayaks, out in the ocean, in 30-90 feet of water, where it would take forever to figure out bottom structure with a 10ips sink rate (and if I knew the current hadn't dragged my line a hundred feet that'a'way).

Do I feel like I'm cheating? Nope. If you read the part about identifying a fish, you'd guess I was felling cheated - and you'd be right. I can't defend them, but I will say that on days when they just aren't biting, fiddling with all the buttons can be a bit entertaining. I just wish they'd make a version of "Tetris" for fish finders...

P.S. Did you mean "Rapala"?

veilside180sx

That's the one I've been considering. I'm curious, is the unit itself waterproof or would you recommend getting the cover?
i’ll rolled my kayak with mine powered up. No worse for wear.

it’s a great kayak unit. Ideally you have it mounted so its not shooting “thru hull”, but it will do it if it has too.

if u want to mess with it...you’re welcome to check it out.

NRC

WFF Supporter
I think it’s fine to use a fish finder, but using a boat or float tube is a cheap move imho. I mainly fish with a fish finder strapped to my ass, pointing out at a 45 degree angle to make sure no fish sneak up from behind while I wade.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
i’ll rolled my kayak with mine powered up. No worse for wear.

it’s a great kayak unit. Ideally you have it mounted so its not shooting “thru hull”, but it will do it if it has too.

if u want to mess with it...you’re welcome to check it out.
Just need to get you up to Merwin so I can check it out....ha! I would need to get the Scotty transducer mount as that's how I have most things rigged on my inflatable.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts