Fish Finders

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Might not be the most appropriate place to be asking but does anyone out there that fishes from a boat use fish finders to judge where fish maybe holed up at..? I'm planning to fish more on small to large rivers and small lakes. I'm looking at getting a Sea Eagle 285 Pro FPL in a few weeks and see that there is provision for mounting a fish finder on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type, make of fish finder might be the best to get or is it maybe just a waste of time thinking about it..? I'm thinking something that would offer side scanning might be good..
I know I'll offend some people here, but fish finders defeat the purpose of fly fishing. Half the reason I love fly fishing is it makes it harder to catch fish and gives the fish a reasonably fair fight. If your goal is to catch the most fish, fly fishing may not be for you. Not to say I don't know fly fishers who use Fish Finders, but I do respect them less. JK. ;-)
When you don't have a Fish Finder, you have to build certain lifelong skills like learning to read rivers, how to find structures and springs, breaking down rivers by section, and understanding why fish hold where they do. Whether it's worth it to you is your call. Either way, have fun!

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
I know I'll offend some people here, but fish finders defeat the purpose of fly fishing. Half the reason I love fly fishing is it makes it harder to catch fish and gives the fish a reasonably fair fight. If your goal is to catch the most fish, fly fishing may not be for you. Not to say I don't know fly fishers who use Fish Finders, but I do respect them less. JK. ;-)
When you don't have a Fish Finder, you have to build certain lifelong skills like learning to read rivers, how to find structures and springs, breaking down rivers by section, and understanding why fish hold where they do. Whether it's worth it to you is your call. Either way, have fun!
I know you are new here. Generally it's considered poor form to bump old posts. I'm seeing a habit of you bumping them with posts that come off as righteous or are meant to provoke. You then seem to struggle with the attention this brings back towards you. Might I suggest laying low, getting to know people and participating in the posts that are current?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
@b_illymac , to be fair, i have almost found myself starting to post on an old thread (and usually have caught it and refrained) because of the fairly new WFF algorithm that includes “Similar threads ” at the bottom of a current thread.
It's not just you....I've nearly done that many times (probably HAVE done it many times), but to his point, it's likely more about the content being posted by this individual in multiple areas.

and LilCutts, if you're going to troll, troll....none of this half-assed stuff...take a look at Travers posts for pointers.

Rob Allen

Might not be the most appropriate place to be asking but does anyone out there that fishes from a boat use fish finders to judge where fish maybe holed up at..? I'm planning to fish more on small to large rivers and small lakes. I'm looking at getting a Sea Eagle 285 Pro FPL in a few weeks and see that there is provision for mounting a fish finder on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type, make of fish finder might be the best to get or is it maybe just a waste of time thinking about it..? I'm thinking something that would offer side scanning might be good..

I was looking at the Lowrance hook 9 reveal but bass pro shops has the elite 9 ti2 for a hundred bucks more so I went that route.

Buzzy

Holy cow. I might be the only "Old School" fisherman out there that still just uses intuition and experience. Haven't used a finder in over a decade, and I do OK, kinda.
Trip -
I damn near spit coffee up when I read "and I do OK, kinda". :D Without any doubt in my mind, my Fishin Buddy has helped me find fish and certainly figure out depth. But what you say rings true to when all of us (old farts) fished before these small portable units became available. We did OK, kinda.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
We use a depth feature to find structure and keep alert to help from ripping the bottom out of the boat bass fishing the Snake. There are so many bass in that river you just have to find structure and the fish will be there.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
It's not just you....I've nearly done that many times (probably HAVE done it many times), but to his point, it's likely more about the content being posted by this individual in multiple areas.

and LilCutts, if you're going to troll, troll....none of this half-assed stuff...take a look at Travers posts for pointers.
Yes! Travers is the master! Hahaha!

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
WFF Supporter
Maybe you need to use a cane stick, horsehair and some carved bone.

dustinchromers

My friend Hans is working on a Google glass fish finder that you wear. It's definitely not cheating and is the future. Fly fishing is about catching as many fish as possible with a fly rod. I'll use any advantage I can get. Yes, this includes the Google Glass Pescadores Maximus series of products. In the not so distant future it will be standard equipment and the only real way to reliably catch dwindling populations of fish. I've tested the prototype and it's a game changer. Those not using this technology will be left in the dust. It shows not only where the fish are but it will immediately upload and post your catch to your various social media accounts. It uses complex algorithms to suggest colors to use based on sky conditions, water temp, barometric pressure and other confidential trade secret metrics I'm not at liberty to discuss. Cheating? No. The future? Yes.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
My friend Hans is working on a Google glass fish finder that you wear. It's definitely not cheating and is the future. Fly fishing is about catching as many fish as possible with a fly rod. I'll use any advantage I can get. Yes, this includes the Google Glass Pescadores Maximus series of products. In the not so distant future it will be standard equipment and the only real way to reliably catch dwindling populations of fish. I've tested the prototype and it's a game changer. Those not using this technology will be left in the dust. It shows not only where the fish are but it will immediately upload and post your catch to your various social media accounts. It uses complex algorithms to suggest colors to use based on sky conditions, water temp, barometric pressure and other confidential trade secret metrics I'm not at liberty to discuss. Cheating? No. The future? Yes.
Pair all that with my spring loaded fish hooks and you can catch all of them. Every. Single. One.

Buzzy

Haven't seen old Hansinderghills for a long time.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts