Seattle editorial from today

Jamie Wilson

This is a message that needs to be communicated to WDFW commissioners over an over again, and would dovetail nicely with Salmo G's message asking the department to apply for their own permit from NOAA.
I would think the permitting would be a no-brainer. Seems evident where the WDFW have their priorities or lack there of.

Reactions: JS

longputt

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't do something but the money that is needed is far in excess of the WDFW budget. Every time they do something they delay the inevitable because it makes people feel good. Yet nickels and dimes will not bring back an entire runs.

It's a 10 link chain and links, 4, 5 and 10 are missing and WDFW keeps funding link #2...it won't work. WDFW will count the salmon and steelhead until the count is zero...they've done it many times.

WDFW needs to partner with people who have the budget. Nature Conservancy can raise billions.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I'm convinced that the WDFW is only self interested in preserving its bureaucracy. And providing greater angling opportunity is only an afterthought.
You're more right than wrong. Any bureaucracy's main interest is in perpetuating itself (preserve FTEs - full time equivalent employees), then secondly, "growing the empire" because only through growth can a manager or director or leader amass more power, more status, and generally, more salary. Third is the legislative mandate, which in WDFW's case is to preserve and perpetuate fish and wildlife while managing for commercial and recreational fishing and recreational hunting.

Edit: I should have added that bureaucrats rationalize the agency perpetuation priority in that without the agency presence, then there is no one to carry out the legislative mandate, whatever that happens to be.

Last edited:

Shad

I know we're a fly fishing community, but I'd really like to see us stop making distinctions between angling methods in editorials like this one. If you want to bring people along, you need to be inclusive of everyone who might agree with your point of view. Instead of "steelhead fly fishing," just stick to "steelhead fishing."

Only other nitpick is that the author refers to "robust runs" as if that condition existed just yesterday. In reality, it's been many decades since these runs were robust. We've now arrived at the point where "abundant enough to support catch and release angling" is the best we can hope for or argue. We won't see robust runs of anything anadromous in this state again.

Besides those things, amen, Brother!

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I know we're a fly fishing community, but I'd really like to see us stop making distinctions between angling methods in editorials like this one. If you want to bring people along, you need to be inclusive of everyone who might agree with your point of view. Instead of "steelhead fly fishing," just stick to "steelhead fishing."

Only other nitpick is that the author refers to "robust runs" as if that condition existed just yesterday. In reality, it's been many decades since these runs were robust. We've now arrived at the point where "abundant enough to support catch and release angling" is the best we can hope for or argue. We won't see robust runs of anything anadromous in this state again.

Besides those things, amen, Brother!
[/QUOTE

He did include all anglers throughout the whole article. He used steelhead flyfishermen as an example of diverse groups along with orca advocates. Should we steelhead flyfishermen be so self loathing and have so little self esteem as to refuse to even say "steelhead flyfishermen".

Honestly, there is not a thing a steelhead flyfisherman can say that won't be misconstrued as elitist. It is so very frustrating.

Go Sox,
cds

HauntedByWaters

Charles, lets make some gear fishing only rivers so the gear guys can be self loathing too. You must use at least a quarter ounce of lead and the line must be cast directly from the reel. ;)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts