Fly ownership questions (a long story)

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
Anything that anyone ties anymore is copied from another or variation of. I call my intruder style flies intimidators. Some people get their panties bunched up but I really give a fuck. Seems the people that hate on you are just loving your style because they probably can't tie as well.

Camo Clad Warrior

Anything that anyone ties anymore is copied from another or variation of. I call my intruder style flies intimidators. Some people get their panties bunched up but I really give a fuck. Seems the people that hate on you are just loving your style because they probably can't tie as well.

I tie a basic marabou leech pattern with dome tiers dungeon fiber as the tail. It is original? Hell no. It is a Popsicle variant but my friends and I call it a lingerie leech...Why? Because it is sexy. Patterns and names are changing constantly. To be honest that is part of the fun as a tier. Coming up with something a little different that either works or it doesn't.

D3Smartie

Hell I was looking at something tied on here today knowing damn well they got it from me... does the pride start to boil up a bit, yeah. But really, who cares? innovate, expand, and make what is out there better. Its what the community should be.

that being said, give credit where it is due, and probably dont ask for credit for something as awesome as a graboid.

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Hell I was looking at something tied on here today knowing damn well they got it from me... does the pride start to boil up a bit, yeah. But really, who cares? innovate, expand, and make what is out there better. Its what the community should be.

that being said, give credit where it is due, and probably dont ask for credit for something as awesome as a graboid.
Just out of curiosity how do you know that someone got a pattern from you?

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I looked at this thread when it first started. I haven't ever came back to it, I never got to read 22 pages of bullshit. That really makes me happy. There are a few more threads in here that I have never ever read. One of them has 1,000 entries. I never even open that one up. I don't think I missed a thing.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I looked at this thread when it first started. I haven't ever came back to it, I never got to read 22 pages of bullshit. That really makes me happy. There are a few more threads in here that I have never ever read. One of them has 1,000 entries. I never even open that one up. I don't think I missed a thing.
Oh, but that’s where you are wrong Old Man, this one was a gold mine!

D3Smartie

Just out of curiosity how do you know that someone got a pattern from you?

You're right. I don't know for 100% certainty that they didn't just have the exact same idea.
But it is suspicious when you share something with a small group of people [something that was not being fished previously] and then that groups friends start coming up with a "new" idea. That mirrors what I was tying and has the same materials. I am confident that word spread but maybe 3 or 4 guys that all happen to be friends of friends had the same idea in the same time frame. It could have happened.

Doesn't really bother me now but there was a point when I really wanted to protect "my invention" even though it was just a rip off from a buddy who borrowed something from another guy and adapted a steelhead fly to fish the salt.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
You're right. I don't know for 100% certainty that they didn't just have the exact same idea.
But it is suspicious when you share something with a small group of people [something that was not being fished previously] and then that groups friends start coming up with a "new" idea. That mirrors what I was tying and has the same materials. I am confident that word spread but maybe 3 or 4 guys that all happen to be friends of friends had the same idea in the same time frame. It could have happened.

Doesn't really bother me now but there was a point when I really wanted to protect "my invention" even though it was just a rip off from a buddy who borrowed something from another guy and adapted a steelhead fly to fish the salt.
can we all see it now?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts