Fly ownership questions (a long story)

Speyrod GB

All I can say is Wow! Some people need to take a serious look in the mirror. Keep tying Billy. I enjoy the patterns the you and everyone else post. I have always enjoyed looking at patterns and the tinkering with them. That is the fun of tying flies. I'd just ignore him.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
Look up Al's Olive Willy.. know that Al, who sold the pattern, did not create it.. William Servey (sp?) did.. Happens all of the time.. Or Leland's popper.. versions of it all over the place.. and finally, only because its all I can think Kinney's Reverse Spider.. None of these guys get all of the credit or $$ from stuff they created and marketed well!

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Look up Al's Olive Willy.. know that Al, who sold the pattern, did not create it.. William Servey (sp?) did.. Happens all of the time.. Or Leland's popper.. versions of it all over the place.. and finally, only because its all I can think Kinney's Reverse Spider.. None of these guys get all of the credit or $$ from stuff they created and marketed well!

I'm glad you posted this. Al Peterson took credit for William Servey's fly. I met William back when he was tying at Swede's in Woodinville. I suppose Peterson would have stolen the Drunken Dragon if it had been simpler to tie.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Billy, based on the guy's argument every dry fly designed after the first one was just a "substitution of material". Same style argument but.... wrong. My guess is there is also an earlier version tied by someone else of the Graboid.... if one would check.

JS

his response is such an Insta-Bro thing to do...

That dude is over his skis....

I was just checking out his page and nearly every single fly on there I've seen variations of for years. Honestly, I'd never even heard of the "graboid" until now...come to think of it, I have a few flies from years ago that look similar as well.

#microintruder hella original!!!

JS

This is making me all nostalgic about the epic Ska-opper debate on Speypages years ago....ah the good ole days. I still don’t know where to fall on that one....but what is true is there are no original flies.

What this guy is calling the “graboid” was such a common guide fly for AK in 2007/2008 that nearly everyone had a twist on it. I tied mine with a cone and olive or black wool head with schlappen under the rubber legs, and it crushed trout prior to the flesh and egg drop.

Last edited:

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Supporter
I'm glad you posted this. Al Peterson took credit for William Servey's fly. I met William back when he was tying at Swede's in Woodinville. I suppose Peterson would have stolen the Drunken Dragon if it had been simpler to tie.

I had William show me how to tie both of his patterns when I met him up at All About the Fly. I still can't remember the steps for the Drunk Dragon. I tie the Olive Willy and modify it a bit, but know that it's William's pattern. It's my go to lake fly!

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
Kind of strange, Farmer posts pretty good how to videos of most of his flies and techniques, including the graboid. Seems like a pretty helpful dude.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts