Dusty and Quincy Walk-in Access

socus

I've got my mind on the March 1st opener and am thinking about possibilities for both March and later in the spring. Can anyone give me more information about general trail condition/difficulty of access for the Quincy walk-ins (Dot, Crystal, Cup...) as well as Dusty? How long a hike am I looking at? Could I get my pontoon to any of these lakes using a wheel or are they strictly float tube only? I'm fine rolling the pontoon to Lenice and would be willing to make a slightly longer or more difficult walk if required. Thanks for the help!

-Andy

troutpocket

I’ve never seen a full size pontoon (8 ft or bigger) on those lakes. You either descend a steep 1 mile trail with some narrow spots or hike in 2-3 miles across soft sand. Bank fishing or float tubes are common. The hike out is the part to keep in mind for planning.

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
I’ve never seen a full size pontoon (8 ft or bigger) on those lakes. You either descend a steep 1 mile trail with some narrow spots or hike in 2-3 miles across soft sand. Bank fishing or float tubes are common. The hike out is the part to keep in mind for planning.
It's three miles exactly the flat way one way so 6 miles total. I tracked it once with GPS

socus

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like pontoon access is a no-go but I've been looking for a reason to purchase a float tube and fishing walk-in lakes like these seems like a great excuse!

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
My favorite Dusty story.....I was hiking out with my float tube.

On the trail I saw a perfectly good wading shoe in my size. So I picked it up.....and a rattlesnake crawled out to see why the boot was moving. I threw the boot with the snake off to the side of trail.

A 1/4 mile up the trail I found the other boot. This time I was NOT picking it up. Somebody got a good deal on a pair of wading boots.

Dusty is a nice lake, with great scenery. It really isn't a "good" fly fishing lake. I would trade Dusty for Quincy regulations and vice versus straight across.

BDD

I know an old-time Yakima River guide who used to wheel a boat and gear into Dusty the long, flat way and stay the night. That sounds like a cool idea but that was long ago, before the snakes, ticks, tweakers, bears, wolves, and corona virus. I'm not sure anyone would survive the trip anymore. But it is still a cool idea if you could spend a couple days. I'm just not sure how soft the ground is going in; if pretty hard ground, a three mile trip and out for a couple days fishing wouldn't be too bad.

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
The trail down to the lake and back up is a good place to check out a possible trail horse purchase. A neighbor told his wife where we'd been and we saw a rattler (by Ancient), now she won't let him ride with me.

suckegg

You can get a one-man pontoon on a cart to Crystal Lake. Probably carry it depending on your condition and it's weight, it's very close to parking and not rough terrain. Less than 100 yds. But I would not want limited myself to just that lake if I'm going to the QWA. Upper Spring Lake can be fished from shore (poison ivy alert) fairly well and is close to Crystal. I suggest you use this thread as an excuse to purchase a tube. Less rattlers on the water so it could be considered a "safety" purchase. Crystal Lake
_MG_9134.JPG

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts