What Defines a New Fly Pattern?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I just dont care to lay claim to any fly. Nothing I tie is completely original.

Ever since Mark Mercer first started posting about his Squimp pattern I've been tweaking it and trying it in all sorts of different ways. No days my version hardly resembles his at all. I tie mine with a dubbing brush complete with rubber legs and it's much different. But to me it's his fly and I wouldn't think of putting a new name on it. All I've done is modify his ideas.

All of my flies are just a tweak of someone else's. I have zero interest in adding a material to an established pattern and putting my name on it. I just wont do it, and I just dont care about it. I cant even imagine the amount of ego it would take to do so.

Every few years it seems someone comes up with something pretty new and revolutionary, and that's cool and all, but for me even if I did manage to create something truly new I wouldn't feel the need to put my name on it

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
WFF Supporter
I do have one fly that I created, but can't tie any more. Will see if I can find one and post a picture!

I called it the Cody Bugger and it was tied using my dog's hair! He was a Keeshond and I fished the fly more than a few times, with little success.

1-12-2007 7-19-58 AM_0137.JPG

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I do have one fly that I created, but can't tie any more. Will see if I can find one and post a picture!

I called it the Cody Bugger and it was tied using my dog's hair! He was a Keeshond and I fished the fly more than a few times, with little success.

View attachment 228223
Ha! Please do. For years I have been trying to figure out what to tie with the hair from these two buggers....

4C1678FF-9D97-44AA-ABA4-35DCA3647DA7.jpeg

Outside of the fact I need to earmark 65% of my salary to the purchase of lint brushes, Keeshond are awesome dogs.

flybill

WFF Supporter
Ha! Please do. For years I have been trying to figure out what to tie with the hair from these two buggers....

View attachment 228226

Outside of the fact I need to earmark 65% of my salary to the purchase of lint brushes, Keeshond are awesome dogs.
It's pretty easy to tie, just like a classic Wooley Bugger.

Streamer hook
Optional bead or weight
Dubbing for body (chop hair from the hair brush, blend and build body)
Tail (long hair from Cody) - easy to harvest

I'll look through my fly boxes, but don't know if I have any anymore.

I also had an idea for a "Hair of the dog's ear" fly. My friend used to have a brindle Greyhound and wanted to use the hair to dub the body!

Cheers!
Bill

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I just dont care to lay claim to any fly. Nothing I tie is completely original.

Ever since Mark Mercer first started posting about his Squimp pattern I've been tweaking it and trying it in all sorts of different ways. No days my version hardly resembles his at all. I tie mine with a dubbing brush complete with rubber legs and it's much different. But to me it's his fly and I wouldn't think of putting a new name on it. All I've done is modify his ideas.

All of my flies are just a tweak of someone else's. I have zero interest in adding a material to an established pattern and putting my name on it. I just wont do it, and I just dont care about it. I cant even imagine the amount of ego it would take to do so.

Every few years it seems someone comes up with something pretty new and revolutionary, and that's cool and all, but for me even if I did manage to create something truly new I wouldn't feel the need to put my name on it

I'm right there with you on that....

Most of my musky flies are just a combination of 2-3 tiers who DO have their names on their stuff. It's highly unlikely that no one has used the same combination of techniques as I do....hell, they're basically, bucktail, flash, feathers and dubbed head...only so many different ways you can combine that.

KerryS

Ignored Member
WFF Supporter

View attachment 228223
I used hair from my Border Collie’s tail as wings on steelhead fly. It had a sort of translucent quality like polar bear bu whiter. Her name was Sophie so a friend named the fly the Royal Sophie. Caught a fish or two with it on the Stillaguamish.
B4066F3D-E825-46E7-B7B2-110A31877C5A.jpeg

Buzzy

WFF Supporter
I can't remember how many years ago I engineered a brand new fly (only to discover it had been wrapped up almost identically many years before). Unlike @Nick Clayton - I wanted to name it (not for ego's sake, more as a joke to myself). So I called it the "Buzzworm". Maybe the name was somewhat original but the bug sure wasn't. :D
hahaha buzzworm.JPG
The one, the only (not): Buzzworm (Caught quite a few trout at the local spring creek using this under a strike indicator - it seemed to work best when it was raining)

flybill

WFF Supporter

View attachment 228226

I miss Cody, and haven't had another dog since then. About 6 years now. I just don't have the lifestyle to have a dog at the moment and financially can't swing it (vet bills). Cody made it too 10 years old, but I spent a lot of money on surgery at WSU. Over $10k in one year!

Btw, what are you dog's names? Would love to meet them, but don't know where you live. I would get another Keeshond for sure, but am leaning towards a Corgi if I get a small dog or a lab if I want to go big!

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I miss Cody, and haven't had another dog since then. About 6 years now. I just don't have the lifestyle to have a dog at the moment and financially can't swing it (vet bills). Cody made it too 10 years old, but I spent a lot of money on surgery at WSU. Over $10k in one year!

Btw, what are you dog's names? Would love to meet them, but don't know where you live. I would get another Keeshond for sure, but am leaning towards a Corgi if I get a small dog or a lab if I want to go big!
Our dogs names are Pele and Loki. They are both 9 so I am just trying to enjoy however long we have left with them. Only reason we got the breed was because that was the only way my wife would get a dog. I wanted a mutt which is all I ever had growing up. She never had dogs growing up and was generally nervous around them. However, one of her childhood friends had that breed and she recalled how much she liked him. 9 years later my wife is a bonafied dog fanatic.

I am surprised you do not see them around more. For the most part, it’s a healthy breed and you cannot find a sweeter dog. Their temperament is amazing and they are so keyed in on their owners moods , etc. it’s scary. It must be all the damn hair that comes with them!

Unfortunately, I am not easy to get to (Bainbridge), but if you happen to be over here, shoot me a note.

flybill

WFF Supporter
Our dogs names are Pele and Loki. They are both 9 so I am just trying to enjoy however long we have left with them. Only reason we got the breed was because that was the only way my wife would get a dog. I wanted a mutt which is all I ever had growing up. She never had dogs growing up and was generally nervous around them. However, one of her childhood friends had that breed and she recalled how much she liked him. 9 years later my wife is a bonafied dog fanatic.

I am surprised you do not see them around more. For the most part, it’s a healthy breed and you cannot find a sweeter dog. Their temperament is amazing and they are so keyed in on their owners moods , etc. it’s scary. It must be all the damn hair that comes with them!

Unfortunately, I am not easy to get to (Bainbridge), but if you happen to be over here, shoot me a note.
I make it out occasionally to fish the beaches with Leland and Bob. Maybe you can join us or me. Going to focus on beach fishing when the chum fry start to show up in a few months.

Cheers!
Bill

Keith Hixson

I “created” a new fly for cutthroat years ago. I was quite proud of myself using what I considered the best features of the many cutthroat flies already in use. I purchased Les Johnson‘s second book on cutthroat fishing and looking through the book there was my fly...tied by a guy in Oregon some sixty years before me.
Been tying flies for about 50 years. I have notice some my creations have been stolen or I have unwittingly stolen someone's creation. With the millions of fly tyers and fly fisherman around, what is original? I Think people whining about a stolen pattern aren't living in reality of situation.

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
After the new world record brown trout was caught on a white marabou jig, I started fishing 1/32oz crappie jigs on a floating line for trout with really good success.

But when you're on the lake catching a ton of trout amongst proper fly anglers, you can't say be saying your using a Crappie Jig. It just sounds wrong. So we starting calling them Devils and the name stuck.

A new fly pattern was born.

What are you using? A green Devil. It just sounds way better. True story.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts