Dropper Question

How do you determine the tippet size for the lead fly for a dropper rig? For example: If you were going to run a #12 dry with a #16 dropper would you go with 4x tippet since the lead fly size would generally call for it then 5x to the dropper or would you use 3x for the dry to account for the extra weight of the dropper? Would this apply to other droppers that are not a dry dropper, such as a pair of soft hackles, nymphs, a mix, etc?

Jim Darden

I agree with all of the above. You can;t pick a specific tippet diameter because the fly size changes. I have gone as small as a 20 dry with a 24 dropper......needless to say I didn't use 3X.....

Reactions: Zak
I agree with all of the above. You can;t pick a specific tippet diameter because the fly size changes. I have gone as small as a 20 dry with a 24 dropper......needless to say I didn't use 3X.....
Clearly I didn't explain well enough, I apologize. I'm well aware that different size flies require different tippet, my question is do you go by the traditional tippet to fly sizing if adding a dropper on that fly. So if you use 4x for a single parachute adams, would you stick with the 4x leader if you were to add a dropper to that adams or would you need to use a heavier leader on that adams to use a dropper with it? I understand that going lighter from the lead fly to the dropper is almost always best.

Last edited:

Zak

I would stay with whatever you use to the dry without a dropper, and go one or more sizes lighter in fluoro for the dropper, depending on the size/weight of the dropper. But heavy tippet in both sections might help prevent the godaweful snarls I something get with multiple dropper rigs.

I often have a knotted leader straight to the nymph, and tie the dry as a "dropper" on a bit of tippet above a leader knot.

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Depending on the size of the fish I am fishing for start with 6X or 7X making sure that I have at least 18 inches between the top fly

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts