Let’s talk new Airlock bobbers

Steelhead

Mykiss Member
As many of you pro Yakima fisherman know the good old Airlock strike indabobbers were pretty much impossible to find at the end of 2019 and beginning 2020. Many conspiracy theories later, we find out that they were discontinued and now the Airlock 2.0 has been released. Lighter, brighter, and.... biodegradable?

What are your initial thoughts on these modern engineering marvels? Are you a bobber hipster and like the original album better? Is this the best bobber on the market? Will trout still eat these and make you wish you had a dry fly on but then you keep nymphing anyways?

06045E43-FD5E-4E3A-B695-AA712094B6A3.png

45F491AD-5B99-49E1-92C7-DB28697B51E5.jpeg

Attachments

Jakob B

Washington Native and college age angler
Airlock stopped production of the *bulk* Airlocks due to problems controlling quality. The post that runs into the bobber kept coming out due to the glue used to hold it together. Entire batches were garbage. This gave them an opportunity to redesign and add the biodegradable option. 100% was the best float before hand and I’m willing to bet they will be even better now (lighter, stronger, biodegradable). Get your stoneflies/favorite dropper on a 9’ 3x leader and pick up some new airlocks. Spring is coming...

Jakob

Kyle Smith

How biodegradable are we talking? I have some air locks that are 3 years old and still working. They aren't cheap, so I hope the new ones last a while.

Reactions: dfl

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
These new ones are far better than anything I've ever used in the past....Honestly, I don't use bobbers all that often, but these are IT when I do. The folks at PDX Fly Shop laughed when I went in and asked for "the new airlock bobbers"...She said that she never had heard anyone ask for them using that name, but that's what they were.

oh, they cast better too.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I haven’t bought a bobber in more than 5 years because I keep finding them along the river. I’d much rather buy biodegradable ones than continue to find river trash.
Got a pile of jig floats I should probably post up on CL as well.

Yardus Maximus

WFF Supporter
I say no to the Air Lock. Never like liked the hinge point to be on the edge of the bobber. They wind knot far to regularly on me. That said I've never thrown the giant bobber so I cant offer an opinion on tossing those.

Quick release bobbers are the ticket for me in most situations. I can fish one all day without a wind knot, river or lake. Sometimes I'll roll with a small corky and a tooth pick or yarn when in stealth mode.

Biodegradable bobber does sound like a great idea. Quick get a patent... oh crap to late :rolleyes:

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I haven’t bought a bobber in more than 5 years because I keep finding them along the river. I’d much rather buy biodegradable ones than continue to find river trash.
Got a pile of jig floats I should probably post up on CL as well.
don't even get me started on beer cans.

Last trip out, I filled a gallon bag of crushed beer cans....in a 1/2 mile of river. Probably coulda filled another gallon bag, but didn't have one, so they went loose in the back of my car...yeah, that pussy little Prius.

camtheflyman

not sponsored
WFF Supporter
probably....although, lately when I'm trout fishing, I'll just throw on a large purple chubby with something dropped off the back. far more effective...you'd be surprised (maybe not) how many fish I get on that dry in the middle of no hatch winter.
I caught one of my largest rainbows in January on a size 4 chubby I was using as an indicator

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts