I REMEMBER.....

jamma

I remember losing some leftover salad shrimp in my 75 Nova after a July day of steelhead fishing. The smell was barely perceptable at first. Think it was early September by the time I finally tore the car apart, and pulled a sealed baggie of pink goo from the spare tire well. Pretty much a chemical weapon at that point.

Also remember trying to find the top end on that car. Speedo was long since buried, but hit 5600 rpm in 4th (with 3.08 rear end) on that long straight on highway 30 just past Clatskanie. Still wasn't floored, but the front end was starting to float, and my rear end was starting to pucker. Somewhere in the ballpark of 160.
Funny...my first fishing car was a '76 4-door Nova, an ex-PUD car that had a hole in the roof for an antenna that wasn't particularly well sealed by a rubber plug when they removed it and had rusted out. When it rained, the back seat footwells would fill up with water and brake application would result in a small flood hitting the back of your heels. I wound up removing the floor pan plugs. It eventually blew a head gasket, resulting in an impressive steam cloud on I-5.

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
We often selectively remember the good shit, and forget the bad. And there was plenty of bad in those days as well

I remember when lake wa was murkier with pollution and fertilizer runnoff. Now lake wa is so much clearer that the stickelbacks have evolved an extra spine to avoid cutthroat predation

I remember when there were fewer searun cutts because you could kill them.

I remember when there were steelhead and bull trout could’t access the elwa

longputt

Calibetis hatches at Lenice
I remember no cattails in Lenice, Merry and Nunally the only thing you had watch for was submerged sagebrush...long since rotted away. We always just wade fished, no boats, tubes or Russian Olives.

Like many here I could go on and on...Chopaka had salmon back then (I don't remember which one) and you simply cast a Carey with a sinking line and stripped it back fast for a salmon dinner!

Last edited:

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I remember no cattails in Lenice, Merry and Nunally the only thing you had watch for was submerged sagebrush...long since rotted away. We always just wade fished, no boats, tubes or Russian Olives.

Like many here I could go on and on...Chopaka had salmon back then (I don't remember which one) and you simply cast a Carey with a sinking line and stripped it back fast for a salmon dinner!
atlantic.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I can remember when the Washington population was less than 3 million people instead of the nearly 8 million we have today. Somehow I suspect that population growth has a lot to do why our fond memories of once was don't match our expectations today.

Curt
Curt, I agree wholeheartedly. I moved here when the population was around 3 million and the saltwater fishing and the trout fishing around Lynwood was great. The trout openers were eagerly looked forward to. I also remember my first trip to Lake Hannan with a low slung car. thump...thump...thump.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Here's another one. Went out at Ilwaco salmon fishing. Went out over the bar and it was flat calm. Caught about 8 salmon and they told me to stop fishing as I was catching all the fish in the boat. Was using a pink lady to get the cut plug down into the zone. Came back in over the bar and it was flat calm again. Captain said he never seen it so calm going and coming over the bar. It must of been my charm that did it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

PezVela

I remember fishing Merrill when outboard motors were allowed, and hoping like hell they didn't run your ass over in your tube coming back after dark! I still have the oil slick around the Buck's Bag, and once took it to a WDFW meeting to bitch about the power boats. (we got it changed to "no internal combustion motors") Then there was Coldwater Lake, the first year they let us fish from boats/tubes! (before that you could only fish from shore) My oh my... I don't think we caught a rainbow much under 20 inches, and wild cutthroat nearly as big! And then there was...

Brown Trout.jpg

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Nick is correct. That Lyre River Canyon was one tough hike into. Very difficult terrain.

No joke!

When I was pretty young I used to hear stories of the canyon from my dad and dream about the day I was old enough to go with him.

He finally took me when I was 10. Landed my first ever steelhead that day. A fish that we sight cast to. A memory I will never, ever forget.

Spent many long days hiking in and out of there. The hike down was bad enough, but once you got in there it wasnt easy either. We used to drop in downstream a half mile maybe from the falls, then fish our way up to the falls and hike out the trail there. It was steep but with the trail not terrible. Getting down in the first place, and working upstream was pretty intense. Plus it was usually hot and dry. Good times!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts