I REMEMBER.....

SilverFly

This was the early 80's. The waders gave me a "radius of exclusion" of about 1 seat.

Although maybe it was the mike's box full of gooey clusters and sand shrimp parts...
I remember losing some leftover salad shrimp in my 75 Nova after a July day of steelhead fishing. The smell was barely perceptable at first. Think it was early September by the time I finally tore the car apart, and pulled a sealed baggie of pink goo from the spare tire well. Pretty much a chemical weapon at that point.

Also remember trying to find the top end on that car. Speedo was long since buried, but hit 5600 rpm in 4th (with 3.08 rear end) on that long straight on highway 30 just past Clatskanie. Still wasn't floored, but the front end was starting to float, and my rear end was starting to pucker. Somewhere in the ballpark of 160.

Last edited:

troutpocket

I remember losing some leftover salad shrimp in my 75 Nova after a July day of steelhead fishing. The smell was barely perceptable at first. Think it was early September by the time I finally tore the car apart, and pulled a sealed baggie of pink goo from the spare tire well. Pretty much a chemical weapon at that point.
I used to use shrimp for perch bait fishing at the Edmonds pier. Only left the remaining shrimp in my tackle box once. Similar results to yours.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206

Also remember trying to find the top end on that car. Speedo was long since buried, but hit 5600 rpm in 4th (with 3.08 rear end) on that long straight on highway 30 just past Clatskanie. Still wasn't floored, but the front end was starting to float, and my rear end was starting to pucker. Somewhere in the ballpark of 160.

75 Nova....better have been a big block or I’d say BS on 160 mph.....non radials meh! But I like the story!

SilverFly

75 Nova....better have been a big block or I’d say BS on 160 mph.....non radials meh! But I like the story!
Nope, but definitely not the wimpy stock engine. I rebuilt the 350 myself. Hand-ported heads, milled to 9.5 to 1 compression. Aftermarket cam, carb/intake. Headers, dual exhaust. Fortunately I had some sense to put money into the suspension and radial tires (Dunlop GTQ's) or I might not be here now. With the 4 speed and stock 3.08 rear end, it was a POS in the quarter mile. But once it got going it didn't want to stop.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Renting the 16' wooden boats from Olsen's in Sekiu and trolling cut plug herring in the shipping lanes for coho with my family growing up. Sekiu will always have a special place in my heart.

Summer steelhead in the Lyre canyon. Rugged country, tiny little river that NOBODY fished at that time of year, and steelhead that would come out from behind boulders to destroy size 4 Mepps spinners and were damn near impossible to land.

Spring trout openers with my dad and brother on Lake Crocker. The crowds would head down the road to Leland while we would catch rainbows hand over fist in peace from our 12' Sears boat.

Summer steelhead in the Elwha canyon. Some of the hottest fish I've encountered in my life. I remember a 16 lb hen that smashed a Hammered Steelie spoon and proceeded to dance all over the river for what seemed like an eternity. I have caught bigger steelhead but that may be my most memorable.

Spending every dollar of my allowance on fishing gear at Swains

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Silverfly, I’ll bet you wish you still had that Nova......believe it or not, I still have my first car...er truck! It’s a 1951 five window Chev that my grandfather bought brand new in ‘51 for his furniture store on Jackson st in Seattle. My dad got in in ‘65 and I took over it in ‘73 for $200 and my ten speed bicycle. He figured that this would be better/safer than the ‘66 Chevelle SS that I was saving for. Damn...that was a sweet car! So I bought a totaled ‘56 Chev Bel Air and took the V8, tranny, rear end and 12 volt system out and put it in my truck, had it painted Hugger orange, added some custom headers w/Cyclone Purple Hornies and terrorized the Renton Loop and Golden Gardens.....:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)

Scudley Do Right

I remember begging my dad to take me to the Ballard Locks after school to look at the salmon. The viewing windows would be full top to bottom. I went there one day after work last year and sat and watched about 10 salmon. People looking on were saying, "Look at all the salmon".

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts