I REMEMBER.....

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
Some day this planet wont hold life as we know it. The sun will become a white dwarf and the earth will freeze. I remember things that I could be sad I don't have anymore. Then I think at least I got to experience those things and have those memories. I feel sorry for future generations.

I remember that life is precious and I'm thankful for that.

SilverFly

Silverfly, I’ll bet you wish you still had that Nova......believe it or not, I still have my first car...er truck! It’s a 1951 five window Chev that my grandfather bought brand new in ‘51 for his furniture store on Jackson st in Seattle. My dad got in in ‘65 and I took over it in ‘73 for $200 and my ten speed bicycle. He figured that this would be better/safer than the ‘66 Chevelle SS that I was saving for. Damn...that was a sweet car! So I bought a totaled ‘56 Chev Bel Air and took the V8, tranny, rear end and 12 volt system out and put it in my truck, had it painted Hugger orange, added some custom headers w/Cyclone Purple Hornies and terrorized the Renton Loop and Golden Gardens.....:eek::rolleyes::cool:;)
Yeah, I kinda miss my hot-rodding days, but dammit, life makes you pick priorities. I'm with ya on the '66 Chevelle. If I got back into it again that car would make my short list.

The '75 Nova wasn't exactly a classic but I did like the lines of the hatchback. It sure was a lot of fun to drive. It finally threw a rod at 30k miles, which was actually pretty good considering how hard I drove it and my budget forced me to use the stock crank and rods. I was transitioning into a more responsible life at the time so it ended up in the wrecking yard. Somebody scored when they found those aftermarket parts, clutch, and the M22 Muncie 4-speed with Hurst shifter I got from at '69 GTO (after killing 3 stock clutches and 2 stock Saginaw trannys).

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
and Max (I think). Boy that dog loved to fetch a ball! The long birthday and even anniversary weekends Mrs Brian and I stayed at Cady Lake Manor. Larry's wonderful personality, the interesting and engaging stories from his career as a merchant marine, the elegant ("tweedy") sportsmen's accomodations, his awesome cooking, learning to play cribbage with him in the evening after supper, but not too late because he was up an hour before I was to begin fixing our breakfast. I really miss Larry and the Manor.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Cady and Larry

We stayed at Cady lake Manor five times over the years....amazing place with awesome dinning! Larry and Max....lots of great memories there. My best fish was 28” caught sight casting by his dock on a size 16 orange bead chironomid. Some guy took a couple of “pictures” of me and that fish. When I say pictures, I mean 8x10 glossy paper pictures. When I was with PSFF, we held our summer bbq’s at Larry’s, we paid for the porta potty and maintained the gravel road. Go there and support the fishery while we still can!

Dave Maddock

We stayed at Cady lake Manor five times over the years....amazing place with awesome dinning! Larry and Max....lots of great memories there. My best fish was 28” caught sight casting by his dock on a size 16 orange bead chironomid. Some guy took a couple of “pictures” of me and that fish. When I say pictures, I mean 8x10 glossy paper pictures. When I was with PSFF, we held our summer bbq’s at Larry’s, we paid for the porta potty and maintained the gravel road. Go there and support the fishery while we still can!
Going out with my dad in rental boats .
Ray's, Anderson in Edmonds, Labughtans,
McConnells in Mukilteo. Lots of fun.
My first Steely on the fly at the park on the lower Sauk. 33" hen on my 10' 7at. Mix.
She nearly spooled me twice.
Seeing a waterspout on Blue lake (sinlahekin).

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Dave,
Did you ever rent a kicker boat at Pt Defience? As a kid I thought that elevator ride to the water was the best part! I remember catching salmon and if we had enough time and herring left, we’d drop down to the bottom and hopefully catch some cod instead of dogfish. I also remember when the tide changed there the scary nasty whirl pools spinning next to the boat!

lee c

As a deckhand on Westport charter boat watching steelheaders mooching for salmon set the hook on the first tap and send 6 oz. sinkers rocketing threw the air, or years before that with my dad, sitting by buoy 8 wondering why the sea was so rough. Glad the learning curve was quick, although thinking back I am not so sure we were just lucky we didn't drown. But there sure were a lot of good times.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
As a deckhand on Westport charter boat watching steelheaders mooching for salmon set the hook on the first tap and send 6 oz. sinkers rocketing threw the air, or years before that with my dad, sitting by buoy 8 wondering why the sea was so rough. Glad the learning curve was quick, although thinking back I am not so sure we were just lucky we didn't drown. But there sure were a lot of good times.

Steelheaders are the worst in fisheries where hooksets are to be avoided or delayed

Live bait albacore fishing, live bait lingcod fishing, mooching....as soon as I hear someone talk about all the steelhead fishing they do I know I'm in for a long day lol

Dave Maddock

Going out with my dad in rental boats .
Ray's, Anderson in Edmonds, Labughtans,
McConnells in Mukilteo. Lots of fun.
My first Steely on the fly at the park on the lower Sauk. 33" hen on my 10' 7at. Mix.
She nearly spooled me twice.
Seeing a waterspout on Blue lake (sinlahekin).
I
Dave,
Did you ever rent a kicker boat at Pt Defience? As a kid I thought that elevator ride to the water was the best part! I remember catching salmon and if we had enough time and herring left, we’d drop down to the bottom and hopefully catch some cod instead of dogfish. I also remember when the tide changed there the scary nasty whirl pools spinning next to the boat!
Never did, grew up on the north end of Seattle.
Yeah, Ray's and Labughtans had elevators.
Anderson's and McConnells had rail trolley.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Nope, but definitely not the wimpy stock engine. I rebuilt the 350 myself. Hand-ported heads, milled to 9.5 to 1 compression. Aftermarket cam, carb/intake. Headers, dual exhaust. Fortunately I had some sense to put money into the suspension and radial tires (Dunlop GTQ's) or I might not be here now. With the 4 speed and stock 3.08 rear end, it was a POS in the quarter mile. But once it got going it didn't want to stop.
I had GT Qualifiers on my flared fender bug. Stylish raised white letters that required constant scrubbing with steel wool insisted with heavy detergents.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
My truck had US Indy mag wheels, black tuck n roll Naugahyde seats/door panels and a Craig powerplay loud ass 8 track! No thumping bass but rocking guitars!

Smalma

I can remember when the Washington population was less than 3 million people instead of the nearly 8 million we have today. Somehow I suspect that population growth has a lot to do why our fond memories of once was don't match our expectations today.

Curt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info