Marquis 7 for trout Spey?

A.A.

(Decided to start a new thread instead of burying this in the 4 page trout Spey reel thread)

I picked up a Hardy Marquis 7 when I was in England a while back with the intent to use it as a trout Spey reel. I’ve seen it paired up with a Sage One 11’ 3wt before. So as to not break the bank...I was considering a Hydrogen 11’3” 3 wt. I have about $300 credit at Cabela’s, but they don’t carry the Hydrogens anymore. Their Spey selection is pretty dismal, compared to what it used to be. They do have the Loomis IMX Pro in an 11’11” 3 wt. Do you think that the longer 3wt is starting to get out of the window for the Marquis 7, (the Marquis weighs in at 4.6 oz)?
Someone on the trout Spey reel thread mentions using a Marquis Salmon 1 for that IMX rod, which I would imagine being too heavy because it’s perfect on my 11’ 7 wt switch.
Thanks for any experience/insights!

Last edited:

A.A.

I'd probably get a singlehand 7wt and put it on that.
Got that covered x 2!

Here was the inspiration for my purchase...
72120BB3-1DA7-4721-8AE4-D1AA14F4F801.png

I understand the Sage Trout Speys are super light, but doesn’t fit into the budget at the moment. Hoping to put together a similar setup that works with the Marquis 7.

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
WFF Supporter
I tried the Marquis 7 and a perfect 3 5/8. I wasn’t a big fan of ether. That’s just me though, I like a large arbor that picks up line stupid fast!

I had them on an 11’4” 4wt.

A.A.

I tried the Marquis 7 and a perfect 3 5/8. I wasn’t a big fan of ether. That’s just me though, I like a large arbor that picks up line stupid fast!

I had them on an 11’4” 4wt.
Which 11’4” 4wt? And how did it balance with the Marquis 7?

A.A.

Does 11’11” seem a little long for a 3 wt trout Spey?It might be the longest 3 wt trout Spey out there. I could be wrong, but I’m imagining something pretty noodley. Thoughts?

Jack Devlin

I've used a Marquis 7 on a 4 wt 11'8" Trout Spey rod for six years. The reel is light weight and balances a light weight switch rod perfectly. The reel has handled big SRC and adult Salmon for me. It's a challenge. The drags on those reels keep the spool from over running and that's it. The drag on the new ones is pretty much the same. You will have to learn how to palm the reel. Lots of fun. The Marquis 7 (old ones and new ones) make for a great Trout reel for a 5 or 6 wt single hander.

The new Marquis are beautifully made and are machined from a block of aluminum making them much stronger than the older Marquis which were cast. The anodizing is excellent. However, don't overlook the older Marquis which, with care, will last a long time. I've been fishing a 7 and an 8/9 (no longer made) for over thirty years.

IMG_8087.jpg

Last edited:

A.A.

I've used a Marquis 7 on a 4 wt 11'8" Trout Spey rod for six years. The reel is light weight and balances a light weight switch rod perfectly. The reel has handled big SRC and adult Salmon for me. It's a challenge. The drags on those reels keep the spool from over running and that's it. The drag on the new ones is pretty much the same. You will have to learn how to palm the reel. Lots of fun. The Marquis 7 (old ones and new ones) make for a great Trout reel for a 5 or 6 wt single hander.

The new Marquis are beautifully made and are machined from a block of aluminum making them much stronger than the older Marquis which were cast. The anodizing is excellent. However, don't overlook the older Marquis which, with care, will last a long time. I've been fishing a 7 and an 8/9 (no longer made) for over thirty years.

View attachment 228186
Very cool! I’ve had the privilege to land 1 (and lose a few) steelhead on my Marquis Salmon 1. The one I landed is in my profile picture. Definitely took some quick adjustment. My Salmon 1 is Korean made. Looks good, but not quite as nice as my new made in England Marquis 7. Looking forward to pairing it up with the right trout Spey! Which 4 wt did you have your Marquis 7 on? Thanks for the great info!

A.A.

So I’ve decided on the Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey 11’11” 3 wt. Any experience lining this rod. I’ve been reading that a slightly longer Skagit, like the Airflo Scout is a great matchup. Some say 240g, others 270g. I’ll probably be using 7.5-10’ sink tips up to T-8. Also, any integrated lines match well with this rod? Thanks again for any experience and info!

A.A.

A little follow up...

Got the IMX Pro Short Spey 11’11” 3wt yesterday. The Marquis 7 (with backing only) balances great with the rod. Will be a little different once lined up, but will be close enough. The new Marquis 7 weighs 4.6 oz. Not sure about the weight of the rod. Looks like a great combo. The Loomis has awesome grips with great quality cork and a cool reel seat.

4A38EA74-D64F-4324-80A4-76B4DA76D9D9.jpeg 8DE48A30-D6E2-41C0-A75E-F7C5D6CA65EE.jpeg 251E3E43-0AD9-4360-BADA-F9F87AF28783.jpeg 26039327-8282-4E51-84B5-D5E047127243.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts