Coronavirus Degrees of separation

doublebluff

Go Beavs
A few good books addressing the nature of emerging disease and public health. There are many, and the first two of these, though really good, are kinda dated. But- relevant reads for the big picture.

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 4.21.31 PM.png

Last edited:

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
A few good books addressing the nature of emerging disease and public health. There are many, and the first two of these, though really good, are kinda dated. But- overall, relevant reads for the big picture.

View attachment 230142
I got Spillover from Amazon yesterday, and will start it soon. My headaches are limiting me from reading a lot, but I will start soon.

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
WFF Supporter
not about being scared rabbits, it's about risk management and trying to control the spread through responsible behavior to minimize the mortality rate of this virus, and here's why:

The death rate of the average flu is .01%, so if 50 milion people get it, 5,000 folks die. If 100 million get it, 10,000 folks die.

Conversely, the current average death rate for Covid worldwide is currently being tracked at 3.4%, so if 50 million get it, 1,700,000 folks likely die. If 100 milion get it, 3,400,000 folks likely die.

Or simply put, if 500 flyfishers on this forum are exposed to it, depending on age and personal health, likely 17 of us will die.

So taking the sensible precautions being urged upon us by the best infectious disease doctors is a pretty damn good idea...
If all the numbers are correct.

jwg

First two positive tests, one fatality, in the tricities.

The death was an 80 year old woman from a nursing home, who was being treated in the hospital.

Our church has some members who live in the same nursing home.

J

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
740+ people died in Italy in a 24 hour period from Coronavirus! Probably many with complications or existing conditions, but still that's a lot!

They have 1/5th the population of the US. Just shy of 60 million. They've had to stop taking in new patients! If that doesn't scare you, nothing will..

Jim Travers

I've seen guys out in public trails!! Runnin or whatever! Comin up these steep stairs they're HEAVIN HARD, struggling for air!! Desperate gasps. HUGE exhales!

You get in these public staircases that's who you're dealin' with!!! You're gettin' BREATHED ON!!

These days all it takes is one big spray from someone else's cough into your open mouth or one farmer blow of a passing runner getting into your mouth as you're talking, and its over!!!

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I've seen guys out in public trails!! Runnin or whatever! Comin up these steep stairs they're HEAVIN HARD, struggling for air!! Desperate gasps. HUGE exhales!

You get in these public staircases that's who you're dealin' with!!! You're gettin' BREATHED ON!!

These days all it takes is one big spray from someone else's cough into your open mouth or one farmer blow of a passing runner getting into your mouth as you're talking, and its over!!!
Hence the reason the experts say to stay away from the general public & stay home until this epidemic runs it course

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts