Coronavirus Degrees of separation

Freestone

WFF Supporter
Should my employer tell us if an employee(s) are infected with corona?

they’ve shown little regard to our safety. We asked for cleaning supplies over a week ago but still haven’t received any.
Now there’s talk about 2 employees who are in quarantine right now because they live with someone who has confirmed corona. These 2 people touch so many things here it would be hard for everyone to not get infected... I know it’ll probably happen eventually but I think it’s only fair to the rest of country to help prevent it at a local level right here.

we’ve been told we can go home but that they will use all of our floating holiday and vacation. the policy here is if you can’t somehow get 40 hrs in a week then it’s termination... a lot of us would have to lose our jobs to quarantine. None of us want to do that of course but then again if it’s in here then I don’t want to be here.

anyways..... do you think employers should tell their employees that a coworker is infected or has been in contact with an infected person? Or do they just keep working us till the government forces them to close.
Fucking pocket protectors...
I can't answer your questions but the WA Employment Security website probably can or can provide links that will. Read everything that relates to the coronavirus and your rights as an employee. Also read about WA's PAID Leave Policy, which you must be offered.

Phish Guy

I can't answer your questions but the WA Employment Security website probably can or can provide links that will. Read everything that relates to the coronavirus and your rights as an employee. Also read about WA's PAID Leave Policy, which you must be offered.
Thanks bud will do.... once I’m off! Also 2 thumbs up to your profile pic, now that’s a hog!

Rock Creek Fan

There are a lot of changes being proposed at the state and Federal levels regarding employment (layoffs, pay, not being terminated, unemployment, 'guarantee' of your old job, etc). Once approved/released it may/should change many employee coverages. IMHO they will be implemented in the next few days to a week. Keep on eye out for those also...

Last edited:

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Should my employer tell us if an employee(s) are infected with corona?

they’ve shown little regard to our safety. We asked for cleaning supplies over a week ago but still haven’t received any.
Now there’s talk about 2 employees who are in quarantine right now because they live with someone who has confirmed corona. These 2 people touch so many things here it would be hard for everyone to not get infected... I know it’ll probably happen eventually but I think it’s only fair to the rest of country to help prevent it at a local level right here.

we’ve been told we can go home but that they will use all of our floating holiday and vacation. the policy here is if you can’t somehow get 40 hrs in a week then it’s termination... a lot of us would have to lose our jobs to quarantine. None of us want to do that of course but then again if it’s in here then I don’t want to be here.

anyways..... do you think employers should tell their employees that a coworker is infected or has been in contact with an infected person? Or do they just keep working us till the government forces them to close.
Fucking pocket protectors...
Unfortunately with HiIPPA laws they may not be able to legally tell you if someone has it or not. I think in this case, they should at least tell you someone or a certain number of people have been infected with it. Like you say, it will most likely happen eventually!

At my work, a retail job in Bellevue, at Total Wine, I know my friends wife who is a doctor is quarantined and he was briefly quarantined as well. However, he had not worked in the store for some time and I am currently out on a medical leave with bacterial bronchitis and shortness of breath. I am scheduled to go back on 4/1 pending doctor's orders. I have a follow up appointment with my PCP on the 30th and an appointment with a pulmonary doctor later in April! I am stopping smoking to increase my healing, I haven't smoked much since I got sick, but love cigars.

Anyway to your original question, I would personally self isolate, and use whatever PTO / sick time I had. Only you can decide, but in my case my doctor decided for me.

Good luck!

Phish Guy

Unfortunately with HiIPPA laws they may not be able to legally tell you if someone has it or not. I think in this case, they should at least tell you someone or a certain number of people have been infected with it. Like you say, it will most likely happen eventually!

At my work, a retail job in Bellevue, at Total Wine, I know my friends wife who is a doctor is quarantined and he was briefly quarantined as well. However, he had not worked in the store for some time and I am currently out on a medical leave with bacterial bronchitis and shortness of breath. I am scheduled to go back on 4/1 pending doctor's orders. I have a follow up appointment with my PCP on the 30th and an appointment with a pulmonary doctor later in April! I am stopping smoking to increase my healing, I haven't smoked much since I got sick, but love cigars.

Anyway to your original question, I would personally self isolate, and use whatever PTO / sick time I had. Only you can decide, but in my case my doctor decided for me.

Good luck!
Dang man... hope you have a speedy recovery. You for sure should be self isolating with all that going on with ya, all the best bud!

you’re right I probably should use my PTO.. unfortunately it’s all spoken for for weddings and fishing trips and the like... I got 1 more shift this weekend then I’m off till next weekend. Something tells me my place of work will be closed by then but we’ll see.
Thanks for all the input fellas

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Dang man... hope you have a speedy recovery. You for sure should be self isolating with all that going on with ya, all the best bud!

you’re right I probably should use my PTO.. unfortunately it’s all spoken for for weddings and fishing trips and the like... I got 1 more shift this weekend then I’m off till next weekend. Something tells me my place of work will be closed by then but we’ll see.
Thanks for all the input fellas
Sounds like a good plan! I actually hoping my store might be required to shut down, or at least not have customers come in the store. We would do web orders, hopefully with curb side delivery, and have our delivery services pick up out side as well to minimize contact.

Good luck and stay safe! I've got some time requested off as well as far out as August, but am not planning too far ahead in this case. This stuff will be around for a while and plans change!

Adam Saarinen

I'm still alive! World is In a shit show at the moment. Over 600 infected & 1 dead in Finland. Mostly spread here from Italy & central Europe. Laura is quanteened because she has Steinert disease. High risk of dying like old people if she gets it!?! Every normal day thing is harder now. Going to the store only on fridays now. My work said orders dropped 30%, so this friday & atleast the next 2 fridays are days off. Suits me fine. Bought 400 freezer bags to use as a glove to open this buildings main door. My work place has site sheds coming this week so workers can eat & change clothes in 10 people groups. Hand sanitizer every where. Atleast 1m between people. It's all good. Look what happened in Italy!?! Stay safe everyone & be very carefull. You can't turn the clock back!

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Very interesting NPR segment yesterday about difficulties in making more masks. Apparently the machines that spin the fabric are made in Germany and cost over $3 million, so made to order, not stock item. Also the raw material that the fabric is made from has gone from $6,000/ton to $60,000/ ton. Eliminates a lot of potential suppliers, probably time for governments to step up and order some?

Adam Saarinen

Thanks for the update from your corner of the world Adam. You stay safe too!
Thank you very much! I hope we all get through this. But honestly have no idea how it will turn out! You & everyone else on this forum & everyone else in America stay safe!

Old406Kid

I'm still alive! World is In a shit show at the moment. Over 600 infected & 1 dead in Finland. Mostly spread here from Italy & central Europe. Laura is quanteened because she has Steinert disease. High risk of dying like old people if she gets it!?! Every normal day thing is harder now. Going to the store only on fridays now. My work said orders dropped 30%, so this friday & atleast the next 2 fridays are days off. Suits me fine. Bought 400 freezer bags to use as a glove to open this buildings main door. My work place has site sheds coming this week so workers can eat & change clothes in 10 people groups. Hand sanitizer every where. Atleast 1m between people. It's all good. Look what happened in Italy!?! Stay safe everyone & be very carefull. You can't turn the clock back!
Great idea on the freezer bags!!!

Denny Wagenman

If I were a betting man I would dump a ton of money that Inslee will shut down the state tomorrow. If not all, at least King, Snohomish and Pierce counties. He isn't going to let Cuomo and the mayor of Everett upstage him. Personally I am glad I don't have to make any decisions as to that kind of action

Googaplex

Zzzzzzzz....
If I were a betting man I would dump a ton of money that Inslee will shut down the state tomorrow. If not all, at least King, Snohomish and Pierce counties. He isn't going to let Cuomo and the mayor of Everett upstage him. Personally I am glad I don't have to make any decisions as to that kind of action

I thought the same thing on Friday but it never materialized. It seems inevitable that we will have some sort of “shelter in place” order and at this point I wish we could just get it over with. I don’t see any point in shutting down schools, bars, restaurants, and retail for two weeks only to shut down everything, including those establishments for another couple weeks afterwards. It would make more sense and would have done less overall economic damage to just shut it all down at once for two or three weeks. Kinda feels like we’re only avoiding and prolonging the inevitable, let’s go ahead and pull off the band-aid.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts