Coronavirus Degrees of separation

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I go out once a day to take out the garbage. Last Saturday I got cabin fever.. So I went out and cleaned all the cardboard boxes that have collected on the front porch. I had more energy that I have had in the past. It must be that I'm still in the losing weight mode. Being that I'm now an old bastard, I stay home and beat on this computer.

I just want to live for a few more years. My Dad's mother lived to be in her 90's. I'd like to live that long. only 5 years to that age.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
For you folks saying "oh well, the flu kills more every year"...this puppy's just getting started, that's a false equivalence. Even if you look at things conservatively, there are ~328 million people in the US. All of the current info says that 40-70% of the population will get infected. Let's go conservative and go with 40%, so that leaves us with 131.2 million infected. With the fatal percentage being anywhere from 1-3%, let's go conservative and say 1%....that still puts us at 1.3 million fatalities. So yeah, folks should be worried....not to mention the help in the hospital load that something as simple as social distancing can help with (provided everyone actually does it, otherwise it doesn't fucking matter), at least then because the hospitals won't be over capacity and can actually keep additional people from dying.

stay safe out there...and, yes this is something to take seriously (that's very different from buying up all of the TP you can get your hands on).

gt

as the stock market continues to decline, Trump and his GOP cheerleaders are now saying they may remove social distancing as an order and allow businesses to reopen! in the meantime Boris Johnson has locked down the UK, quite a contrast.

and this morning i got to the local Costco as they opened their doors. they now have it set up so you have to form a line, social distancing in action. walked in and right inside the door was 3 pallets full of toilet paper. the gal just sort of automatically handed me a bundle. so maybe the hoarders have run out of storage space, we can all hope.

psycho

Seriously?
I have out lived all the males in my families both maternal and paternal by a decade so I see the future ending soon. I never have been expecting the years that I have accumulated. Living a healthier life than my ancestors helped but genetics come into play sooner or later. :D

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
I have out lived all the males in my families both maternal and paternal by a decade so I see the future ending soon. I never have been expecting the years that I have accumulated. Living a healthier life than my ancestors helped but genetics come into play sooner or later. :D
Again.... SERIOUSLY. What is wrong with you. This is not about just you and your family and how long they lived. How can you not understand that? Please at least stay in your house if you are serious about this. Do not go anywhere.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Again.... SERIOUSLY. What is wrong with you. This is not about just you and your family and how long they lived. How can you not understand that? Please at least stay in your house if you are serious about this. Do not go anywhere.
I think some of us find it easier to deal with difficult times by accepting our own mortality. I don't sense a reckless attitude that would endanger others, just an acceptance that we are all gonna die. Eventually!

surfnfish

The real horror of this virus will prove to be the lack of ventilators.

This disease kills by the virus attaching it's cell hooks into lung tissue and replicating at a furious rate until the lungs can no longer exchange oxygen. Without a ventilator to force oxygen exchanges, a seriously ill virus victim chokes to death.

They are so short of ventilators in Italy the country just implemented a directive that only those under 60 will be put on a ventilator, so those over 60 seriously ill with the virus will die.

As of now there are 200,000 ventilators spread out among all the US hospitals, and the projected need to fight this virus as it peaks is 1,000,000.

The current respirator manufacturers, and there are only a dozen, just recently went into production 24/7, and as to the car companies jumping in to build them, they are still in the 'planning' stages.

So if anyone thinks social distancing isn't vital, or taking every sanitary precaution possible to avoid getting this virus...

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
The real horror of this virus will prove to be the lack of ventilators.

This disease kills by the virus attaching it's cell hooks into lung tissue and replicating at a furious rate until the lungs can no longer exchange oxygen. Without a ventilator to force oxygen exchanges, a seriously ill virus victim chokes to death.

They are so short of ventilators in Italy the country just implemented a directive that only those under 60 will be put on a ventilator, so those over 60 seriously ill with the virus will die.

As of now there are 200,000 ventilators spread out among all the US hospitals, and the projected need to fight this virus as it peaks is 1,000,000.

The current respirator manufacturers, and there are only a dozen, just recently went into production 24/7, and as to the car companies jumping in to build them, they are still in the 'planning' stages.

So if anyone thinks social distancing isn't vital, or taking every sanitary precaution possible to avoid getting this virus...
Or volunteer to forgo a respirator when you do acquire a Covid-19 infection and require medical assistance. Save resources for those who aren't so blase about life.
Steve

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
20200322_071932.jpg

Yesterday at Fred Meyer, and I was there by 715am. Saw two people with carts full on my way in and easily 50% of the people had 3 or 4 large packs in there carts as I went around the store. As I checked out, the lady behind me had 3 big packs and I joked that "TP" was the new currency.. she nervously chuckled and said this was the first time she bought it since the crisis started.. I let it go, and headed home.

I do like that Costco isn't accepting returns on TP, paper towels, cleaning items that people are hording.. maybe they'll give it to friends and neighbors.. or build a fort out of it!

Last edited:

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter
as the stock market continues to decline, Trump and his GOP cheerleaders are now saying they may remove social distancing as an order and allow businesses to reopen! in the meantime Boris Johnson has locked down the UK, quite a contrast.

and this morning i got to the local Costco as they opened their doors. they now have it set up so you have to form a line, social distancing in action. walked in and right inside the door was 3 pallets full of toilet paper. the gal just sort of automatically handed me a bundle. so maybe the hoarders have run out of storage space, we can all hope.
Retail sales are 70% of the GDP, do something for retail sales and the stock market will be OK. It doesn't take an MBA to know that saving the biggest part of the economy is what's important.

sportsman

View attachment 230768
I actually watch The Walking Dead and when i had seen some of the photos of vacant highways i thought of the first season. I don’t have Twitter but i guess others thought the same.
Maybe a good time to have our highways paved. Comparisons to flu deaths are a joke. We have a vaccine for that virus and very few deaths. All we have for Covid is a rapidly decreasing resource.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts