Coronavirus Degrees of separation

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Yeah but Vladimir never misses an opportunity to let us all know that he hates our state government, western Washington, and the bulk of all of us who are clearly inferior.
I don't hate the state government.

However, I did move over to Washington from Idaho in 1981. I moved to Colville. No, big deal I thought I was moving from one poor state to another. Idaho was a poor state in 1980. The state of Washington closed their unemployment office in Colville when unemployment hit 25%.!! I guess they just gave up on helping people???

Then I moved to Wenatchee in 1985 and realized how rich the state government was in Washington state. So much so...they built a stadium for the SECOND richest person in the WORLD at the time.

I am sorry, but I still remember the state of Washington giving up on helping people in Colville and closing the unemployment office and then building a stadium for Paul Allen in a STATE EMERGENCY.

I don't think people in western Washington are "inferior". I think they lack compassion for the poor. I am a immigrant to this country. I know what poverty is when your growing up as a kid.

To keep it fishing related I distinctly remember my father telling me that we couldn't afford a fishing rod for me because the union might go on strike in the next few months.

Please....I don't think people in western Washington are "inferior". I have a lot of friends in western Washington that respect.

However, I guess I am still a poor kid at heart. Yeah, even though I am no longer poor.....I do still have a problem with a state government that puts stadiums for the rich before helping the poor.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Testing is still a joke in eastern Washington so I imagine it's the same in Montana. 7-10 day turn around. Strict criteria to even test. Results going god knows where.
That's sad, but not a surprise. My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that our testing in the US is testing specifically for COVID-19. A lot of Asian countries, South Korea and others I assume, were using a test that is testing for Coronavirus, which covers more than just the specific strain of COVID-19..
The test the World Health Organization suggests. I've been meaning to check out more on it, but trying to not spend as much time on the beer virus news and articles!

We need to do more testing and people need to stay home for a while and not roam around unless absolutely necessary. But we'll get more people saying the government can't make us do that, we have our freedom and most likely more people will be infected!

The numbers are going to go up, hopefully WA will not be as bad, as we've done more than many states. NY now has higher numbers, of course, they also have more population and much of the population lives very close together!

So I'm going to worry mostly about what I can do, and not try to focus on others, other than friends, coworkers, family and people in my sphere of influence! I have to protect my fragile health and can only control myself, so I will! I won't starve, I already have more leftovers so I don't have to cook for a few days or more and can still eat like a king and stay home, safe and sound, for now!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter

However, I did move over to Washington from Idaho in 1981. I moved to Colville. No, big deal I thought I was moving from one poor state to another. Idaho was a poor state in 1980. The state of Washington closed their unemployment office in Colville when unemployment hit 25%.!! I guess they just gave up on helping people???

Then I moved to Wenatchee in 1985 and realized how rich the state government was in Washington state. So much so...they built a stadium for the SECOND richest person in the WORLD at the time.

I am sorry, but I still remember the state of Washington giving up on helping people in Colville and closing the unemployment office and then building a stadium for Paul Allen in a STATE EMERGENCY.

I don't think people in western Washington are "inferior". I think they lack compassion for the poor. I am a immigrant to this country. I know what poverty is when your growing up as a kid.

To keep it fishing related I distinctly remember my father telling me that we couldn't afford a fishing rod for me because the union might go on strike in the next few months.

Please....I don't think people in western Washington are "inferior". I have a lot of friends in western Washington that respect.

However, I guess I am still a poor kid at heart. Yeah, even though I am no longer poor.....I do still have a problem with a state government that puts stadiums for the rich before helping the poor.
And yet, you keep coming back...

GeorgeV

WFF Supporter

Forty years later Idaho is still a 'poor state' due to their attitude, poor education system and wage structure.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler

You could always move over here and help the 12K homeless folks living in the Seattle area.
It isn’t like state, county and city governments aren’t continuing to throw money at the problem....which continues to get worse.
Homelessness is a industry now and they are always looking for volunteers to help out.

The other option is to continue to winter in Arizona while bitching about something that happened with the Washington state government nearly 40 years ago.

By the way, the army is considering using the Seahawks stadium as a place to treat folks with coronavirus.
SF

Dave Boyle

:)

Hi Vlad,

The closing of the employment office is outrageous. The funding stadium thing is weird too, but across all the US it seems. When I first came here to San Diego, the same was done for the Padres, a lot of the city were very PO'd with this as library cuts and other budget measures were also going through. 'Local business would benefit' was the argument without really presenting real data as I recall.

It is worrying to me that a 100 odd folks (the owners of the football, baseball and NBA) get billions from owning teams while we all pony up and at a very high price. In Scotland, all teams own their own grounds/facilities, they even have to pay for the police to come in to mange the crowds and safety, etc.

I do not think most folks care about supporting those, who in the main have plenty funds to do it on their own. Other wise it would not happen. They just threaten to or actually move the team. Another thing I really don't understand about US sport as to how teams can move from city to city, presumably because the owner didn't have to buy the stadium...

Make 'em pay and that problem is solved I guess

Dave

Mel King

Extremely well written. Unbiased article that really covers the potentials of this pandemic. If everyone understood the potential outcomes of this crisis, if it's already not to late to do so, I think they would be taking it more seriously. This article should be required reading for everyone, not that it covers all the potentials of this virus, but lots of food for thought.
Thanks for posting.

MD

WFF Supporter
I am only semi computer literate!
Can some one tell me how I can save this article and then send it to some one?

Jesse
I’m not much better than you. I’m sure someone else will respond...in the mean time....look for the Download icon/button on your phone or computer

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts