Coronavirus Degrees of separation

jamma

Has anyone noticed what's going on in Oregon? Sandwiched between two states that are blowing up, as of this moment, they have not even reached 20 fatalities. Hard for me to explain the dichotomy.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Has anyone noticed what's going on in Oregon? Sandwiched between two states that are blowing up, as of this moment, they have not even reached 20 fatalities. Hard for me to explain the dichotomy.
I don't know that I can explain it in the entire state, although OHSU was on top of getting its employees to practice social distancing and having only essential personnel coming into work. Working in a lab, we're not deemed essential, so we've all been working from home for the last 2 1/2 weeks (quite challenging to have both my wife and I working from home while making sure our son stays on point with some online learning that has been set up by his teachers)....In the times I've had to go get supplies from the grocery store down the street, people are doing a great job of staying the hell away from each other. That being said, a friend of mine sent me a picture from Costco 2.5 weeks ago, and it was insane....no idea what it would look like now. I might venture over in the middle of a day to grab some bulk stuff (provided there aren't many cars in the parking lot).

stay safe out there!

creekx

spent spinner
Is it simply because they were not Ground Zero and didn't have a Life Care Center situation? If you think of it in terms of regions rather than state borders, King and Snohomish Counties are the hot beds.

bpatton

Oregon was pretty active as far as promoting social distancing then they issued a stay at home order before WA did. Clark County in WA has had 4 or 5 deaths I believe and obviously the geographic distance between population centers in CA and southern OR probably helps.

Maybe we need to study hipsters for the cure?

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I would say Oregon has had a few things going for it. First it is not all that densely populated with very little public transportation. Second, the states who had it to the North and South took early effective action to slow it.

WA and CA have done an excellent job. CA had 35 deaths yesterday. That is remarkable given the number of densely populated cities it has, it's population and the fact that the virus was detected their so early. Washington had 15 deaths. It was the early epicenter.
Contrast that with say Florida, who had 14 deaths yesterday but whose deaths have just started. Then there is the Northeast, with density and subways/ trains.

If we could get tests out, the West Coast could come out of this OK. The feds need to come up with tests.

Go Sox,
cds

surfnfish

Oregon is just behind the exposure curve, our cases will begin to show up shortly. Governor had to close the beaches a couple weeks ago, many were packed with visitors mixing it up.
We moved to a Sunriver cabin last fall, south of Bend. One local store is opening up at 6 am for anyone over 60, shopped there this am, also where we get our mail and packages, just one other person there.
A week ago a considerable amount of cars with WA plates appeared in driveways of rental houses in our neighborhood, mostly families with young kids, out riding bikes or walking the trails in groups, clogging the playgrounds and courts. Within a few days, Sunriver had closed off the playgrounds and courts, put up signs everywhere to maintain social distancing. Lot of pissed off full timers wanted the rentals shut down, not gonna happen, rental owners can do what they want. Feel sorry for the cleaners that have to come in after the rental stays.
And while understand wanting to get the kids out, crossing state borders at a time like this to do so is foolish and obstinate.

Watched a panel of virus doc's last night call the 100,000 death scenario wishful thinking, believe it will be far higher than that, much in part from the states refusing to order a stay in place period. One of the forum doc's put it really well about those refusing to obey guidelines.

"The freedom to do what you want doesn't include the right to take away my freedom to live"

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I went to Safeway yesterday to get my meds. The whole store is different. At the back where you pick up your meds. They have installed head high plastic shields. No more talking face to face with them. At the check out aisles they have placards on the floor showing social distancing of 6 ft. They also have the shields there also. Plus with all that is going down, the people are friendly.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
yeah, we had a place booked in Black Butte over the last week, and while we were comfortable with our small, tight-knit group, we all thought it prudent to cancel. Fortunately, the owner refunded everything even though our cancellation was within a week.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Things are pretty skinny here in Montana. Only a few cars on the road yesterday. People here in Butte are staying home. Staying home is alright for a while, But then you get cabin fever and have to get out for a while. I was out and about about 4 times last month. There was 9 cases here in Butte. The governor locked it all down about a week or two ago. Plus about 4 or 5 deaths.

jamma

I would say Oregon has had a few things going for it. First it is not all that densely populated with very little public transportation. Second, the states who had it to the North and South took early effective action to slow it.

WA and CA have done an excellent job. CA had 35 deaths yesterday. That is remarkable given the number of densely populated cities it has, it's population and the fact that the virus was detected their so early. Washington had 15 deaths. It was the early epicenter.
Contrast that with say Florida, who had 14 deaths yesterday but whose deaths have just started. Then there is the Northeast, with density and subways/ trains.

If we could get tests out, the West Coast could come out of this OK. The feds need to come up with tests.

Go Sox,
cds
I'm sure these things contribute but Portland has a major airport and seaport and the Portland/Vancouver area is a good sized metropolitan area with a substantial Chinese population. It would seem that would be a major focal point for transmission vectors. And don't forget, the outbreak started before anyone was aware of it and we certainly have our share of assisted living facilities. Guess we just got lucky.

So far.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I'm sure these things contribute but Portland has a major airport and seaport and the Portland/Vancouver area is a good sized metropolitan area with a substantial Chinese population. It would seem that would be a major focal point for transmission vectors. And don't forget, the outbreak started before anyone was aware of it and we certainly have our share of assisted living facilities. Guess we just got lucky.

So far.
The spread is due to community spread mostly. Large gatherings are how it really expands. Subways, Mardi grass, concerts etc.
Look and see what cities get it worst. I have a clue for you. Chinese has nothing to do with it. Once it got out of China, being Chineese or having Chineese residents makes no difference. Chineese is not a factor in community spread.
Community spread is accelerated by large groups.
The west coast stopped large groups quickest and dont have subways/ trains in the same way as the Northeast.
The Florida Governor is a fucking idiot. He let Glorida get into a bad place for no reason.

Go sox,
Cds

surfnfish

Dechutes County just shut down all short term rentals through May 15 due to the number of out of area and out of state state families showing up and acting like they were on vacation.
Mind boggling just how stupid the stupid can be...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info