Coronavirus Degrees of separation

NukeLDO

I don't disagree and my heart goes out but I have to say that it's sad to see how many haven't even made an attempt to save for a rainy day especially after our last crisis 10 or so years ago.
Yet after two weeks of economic stagnation, some of the biggest companies in the US need bailout money to the tune of billion$? Studies have been saying for well over a year now that a significant number of households could not afford an unexpected $400 expense. Whether that's due to living beyond their means or not, I think we should be outraged at the corporations who've bumped up their stock prices and CEO pay with share buybacks as a result of lowering the corporate tax rate and are now so financially unsound they can't exist for two weeks!

jesse clark

We live in Roseburg OR, in our county we have 10 cases as of 04/01 the county is supposed to be shut down but there a lot people just wandering around in the stores that are open.
I worked at a Lowes store until last Monday. I quit because because both my lovely and I are in our 70s and have some health issues. The store I worked in had about 1500-2000 shoppers in the store each day Sat and Sun that was way too much exposure for me.
Roseburg is right on I-5 the busiest corridor between two hot spot states. I don't think the low numbers are going to continue, but I do hope smaller areas like Roseburg miss the worst of it.
The only hospital in the county only has 7 ICU beds. It wouldn't take much to overwhelm that facility.
Stay home stay safe.

jamma

The spread is due to community spread mostly. Large gatherings are how it really expands. Subways, Mardi grass, concerts etc.
Look and see what cities get it worst. I have a clue for you. Chinese has nothing to do with it. Once it got out of China, being Chineese or having Chineese residents makes no difference. Chineese is not a factor in community spread.
Community spread is accelerated by large groups.
The west coast stopped large groups quickest and dont have subways/ trains in the same way as the Northeast.
The Florida Governor is a fucking idiot. He let Glorida get into a bad place for no reason.

Go sox,
Cds
Well, Seattle has the eighth largest population of Chinese in the U.S. and I was talking to a record store employee who was saying that one of their visiting relatives had gotten out of Wuhan just before it got locked down. Since Seattle was one of the first cities to display the spreading contagion, I think it's a little dismissive to think that wasn't a factor. Not denigrating the Chinese people, that just where the outbreak started. It's no secret that air travel is an ideal way to spread disease globally.

The coronavirus didn't walk over here, it flew.

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Well, Seattle has the eighth largest population of Chinese in the U.S. and I was talking to a record store employee who was saying that one of their visiting relatives had gotten out of Wuhan just before it got locked down. Since Seattle was one of the first cities to display the spreading contagion, I think it's a little dismissive to think that wasn't a factor. Not denigrating the Chinese people, that just where the outbreak started. It's no secret that air travel is an ideal way to spread disease globally.
It came from China. No.one questions that.
Once it got here though, it stopped mattering where it came from.
Community spread is just that, spreading in the community.
Once it was here and spreading through the community, the factors for what communities spread it quickest are based on that community. The West Coast community has done a good job of limiting large groups quickly. Also, Seattle and SF tech workers went home early.
If Oregon had Desantis running the show, not only would Oregon be worse off but Wa and CA would be too. We are all part of a community.

Go sox,
Cds

Old406Kid

We live in Roseburg OR, in our county we have 10 cases as of 04/01 the county is supposed to be shut down but there a lot people just wandering around in the stores that are open.
I worked at a Lowes store until last Monday. I quit because because both my lovely and I are in our 70s and have some health issues. The store I worked in had about 1500-2000 shoppers in the store each day Sat and Sun that was way too much exposure for me.
Roseburg is right on I-5 the busiest corridor between two hot spot states. I don't think the low numbers are going to continue, but I do hope smaller areas like Roseburg miss the worst of it.
The only hospital in the county only has 7 ICU beds. It wouldn't take much to overwhelm that facility.
Stay home stay safe.
Probably a wise choice Jesse.
I called the N. Division store in Spokane a few days and was surprised when they said they were still open. I didn't need anything and haven't been there but I'm working on a rental so it was more of a just in case call.
I think in many cases a harder look at the term 'Essential' would be wise.

jamma

It came from China. No.one questions that.
Once it got here though, it stopped mattering where it came from.
Community spread is just that, spreading in the community.
Once it was here and spreading through the community, the factors for what communities spread it quickest are based on that community. The West Coast community has done a good job of limiting large groups quickly. Also, Seattle and SF tech workers went home early.
If Oregon had Desantis running the show, not only would Oregon be worse off but Wa and CA would be too. We are all part of a community.

Go sox,
Cds
You keep saying "when it got here" like it doesn't reference the spread of disease. I'm not saying where it comes from matters, I'm just referring to how it got here which does matter. If you're not exposed to the disease, you don’t get it, it's that simple. If you don’t know where it came from, that's a problem.
According to the White House Proclamation on the restriction of air travel, and I'm quoting here, " In the fiscal year 2019, an average of over 14,000 people from China visited the U.S. per day". Do the math and that amounts to over 5.11 million visitors per year, and if that isn't a vector for transmission, I don't know what is. And yes, one person can transmit the disease, there is always a patient zero. No one disputes how it spreads in a community, that's obvious so I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

Last edited:

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
In response to Jamma's post 436, Oregon's initial outbreak was in a veteran's nursing home that is operated by the State, and state officials got real excited real fast. They didn't wait for groups of outbreaks in the larger cities before acting, and they didn't take action on a piecemeal basis. All the schools, restaurants and bars in the state were ordered shuttered, initially for two weeks, and then with subsequent extensions. Restaurants can do take-out only. Bars are just SOL, take-out is not an option in Oregon. It is unlikely most schools will reopen before September. Here in Salem the school district announced today that it will hand out ten THOUSAND Chromebooks tomorrow and each school must have on-line learning programs in the district's hands by the 13th. All workplaces, including government, were ordered to maintain a 6-foot spacing between employees or close. After the foregoing closures took effect an assortment of other mandatory shut-downs went into effect, including gyms, salons, barbershops, dental offices, and more. Most banks have gone to drive-up only, a lot of retail stores have just closed their doors. Many stores still open have marked spots on the floors where customers are to stand 6 feet apart while waiting to check out.

Many of the state's smaller towns, especially in recreation areas like the coast, vaulted almost immediately past precautions to near-hysteria, with councils or mayors ordering all non-residents to literally leave town by sundown, ordering motels to evict lodgers and close, and suspending ordinances that allowed short-term rentals of dwellings.

I still haven't decided in my mind whether the governor's mandates were an overreaction or not, but given what's happening north and south of us it certainly appears that they may have a role in slowing or reducing the progression of a potential medical disaster. I don't like her, but will give the Gov credit for having the incredible spine to take those actions knowing they ensure a major economic disaster for hundreds of thousands of residents. Example: The state's previous high for weekly unemployment applications was 8,500 and the first week after the mandatory closures the system bogged down after 75,000 applications came in.

I'm 72 and have never witnessed anything like this, and would not have believed our country's myriad governments could be so totally unprepared after the same thing happened only a century ago. To younger folks a century seems forever ago, but that last pandemic? It killed my grandfather.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
90714478_10107851313362052_722026900590952448_n.jpg

Our state seems to be giving hope to the country that with effort, we can make a difference and all hopefully trend positive with good practice via social distancing and stayin home.

Still, no time to rest

Last edited:

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Please refraining from blaming the Chinese for this pandemic. It does not accomplish anything positive. It will raise/revived a stigma against them which IMHO is uncalled for as well as not what America is about.
That is what America is all about, Blaming somebody for misfortune. That’s all people do these days

Chromer J

Please refraining from blaming the Chinese for this pandemic. It does not accomplish anything positive. It will raise/revived a stigma against them which IMHO is uncalled for as well as not what America is about.
I agree that Chinese citizens shouldn't shoulder any blame. I'd be among the first to stand up for any individual (a fellow citizen or tourist) that I observed being racially discriminated against. The CCP however shoulders very close to 100% of the responsibility of this virus going beyond their border. If the CCP had withheld this virus within their border half as well as they withheld information about what was going on in Wuhan during the first few critical months, the world wouldn't be where it is today. CDC officials could have been notified and allowed entry into Wuhan early in December (or as early as October), providing 6,8 or more weeks of learning curve advancement and precious time for policy formation and preparedness readying rather than having to react after being consistently told of the low pandemic risk while simultaneously travelers were seeding the globe with the virus. The CCP wittingly enabled this to become a global problem.

Should this be a focus point at this time? Absolutely not. We currently have bigger fish to fry. Once we get ourselves back to some sense of normalcy, our relationships within the CCP both in business and politics need carefully reexamined. Do I love my fellow citizens of the world, including the Chinese? Absolutely. The CCP? Not at all. The Chinese people deserve no stigma from this pandemic, but the CCP certainly does.

"The World Health Organization (WHO) tried to calm fears of a pandemic on Jan. 14 by repeating China’s claim that coronavirus was not contagious among humans"

"Experts have pinned the virus as starting possibly as early as October, months before the CCP alerted the world about the risks posed by the deadly disease. Rather than addressing the issue, China arrested journalists and doctors who tried to sound the alarm. In addition, the “People’s Republic” blocked information on social media and removed all news stories that attempted to report accurate infection numbers."

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
The spread is due to community spread mostly. Large gatherings are how it really expands. Subways, Mardi grass, concerts etc.
Look and see what cities get it worst. I have a clue for you. Chinese has nothing to do with it. Once it got out of China, being Chineese or having Chineese residents makes no difference. Chineese is not a factor in community spread.
Community spread is accelerated by large groups.
The west coast stopped large groups quickest and dont have subways/ trains in the same way as the Northeast.
The Florida Governor is a fucking idiot. He let Glorida get into a bad place for no reason.

Go sox,
Cds
bingo....not to mention how spread out we are out here. Even down in LA, people are just more spread out naturally than say, NYC

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
You keep saying "when it got here" like it doesn't reference the spread of disease. I'm not saying where it comes from matters, I'm just referring to how it got here which does matter. If you're not exposed to the disease, you don’t get it, it's that simple. If you don’t know where it came from, that's a problem.
According to the White House Proclamation on the restriction of air travel, and I'm quoting here, " In the fiscal year 2019, an average of over 14,000 people from China visited the U.S. per day". Do the math and that amounts to over 5.11 million visitors per year, and if that isn't a vector for transmission, I don't know what is. And yes, one person can transmit the disease, there is always a patient zero. No one disputes how it spreads in a community, that's obvious so I don't really understand what you are trying to say.
It is everywhere in the world. Cities with no attachment to China have it. It's a global pandemic. The question was asked why Oregon has done well. That's what I was answering.
My point is that the size of the outbreak in most places is determined by stopping the spread in that community not into that community. The virus is and has been in most large communities a while.
The places being hit hardest have reasons why it spread easily and quickly within their community. Subways, Mardis Gras, density, Desantis.
The West Coast Governors took decisive action early to stop spread within their community. Kudos to them. That along with no subways, work from home techies etc. Is why we on the West Coast have faired better.

Go sox,
Cds

surfnfish

The Spanish Flu of 1918 started in an Army barracks in Kansas, then spread around the world to kill 50,000,000.
The source of a virus is less important then how countries manage the outbreak when it appears.
This administration was informed of the lethal potential of this virus in January, and because someone 'had a feeling' it wasn't going to be any worse than the flu, did zero to prepare for it, and in fact mocked it at rallies all the way into late Feb.
And now add in the idiot governors claiming the virus was 'nothing but liberal media overhype', with states in the south still operating without travel restrictions, and the table has been set for a virus that will cycle throughout the US for many months to come, likely well into next year.
There is no defending idiocy, and now our fellow citizens will have to pay for that idiocy with tens of thousands of lives that did not need to be lost.
And that is not political, it is factual.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Correct, potus did nothing constructive for weeks, But Congress did. Upon hearing the same intelligence reports, many (from both sides of the isle) sold millions in stock, before the public heard.
I hope they’re investigated, exposed and convicted, but I’ll bet on a government coverup.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts