Integrated Trout Spey line recommendations

Hey guys I just purchased an 11'7" Beulah Platinum Spey and would like some recommendations for an integrated line. I'm going to use the rod mainly for shad, smallmouth, and trout. I'd like an integrated line because I'll be stripping a lot of streamers and don't want to deal with the clunk of a head coming through my guides. I'd say 80% of the time I'll be swinging/stripping and 20% skating muddlers/small dries. I know there's a few out there like Rio Trout Spey, Airflo Spey/Switch, and Commando Smooth. Just looking to hear some feedback on what everyone uses and if the grain weight will be relatively similar. I'd like a line that could toss a light sink tip or heavier polyleader. Thanks for the help!

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
WFF Supporter
Ive only fished one integrated line, the SA Speylite Intermediate skagit, and its been great for streamers. I think ive been using 7.5 foot tips which it turns over easy with a small sculpzilla type fly.

Ive only fished one integrated line, the SA Speylite Intermediate skagit, and its been great for streamers. I think ive been using 7.5 foot tips which it turns over easy with a small sculpzilla type fly.
I've seen this line also and have heard some good things about it. Are you using 7.5' MOW tips?

OPST tips, and for reference I'm using a 240 on a hydrogen 2 wt switch.
Cool thanks! I should be somewhere between 300-350gr depending on the line. Is it fairly delicate for being an intermediate Skagit head? I'm not expecting it to deliver a dry fly presentation, but just curious whether it's really chunky when it lands.

Gene S

Nice rod, one of my favorite 5 weights. I'm now using a Rio Scandi Body 325gr/24' (head) which easily handles 10' poly's and lighter tips. For lighter scandi work the original elixir 295 and 330 (line) worked great. I think the SA lite scandi 330 (line) would work well given the poly's/tips/bugs you plan on using. The SA lite scandi is an integrated line which I use on other rods. good luck

Nice rod, one of my favorite 5 weights. I'm now using a Rio Scandi Body 325gr/24' (head) which easily handles 10' poly's and lighter tips. For lighter scandi work the original elixir 295 and 330 (line) worked great. I think the SA lite scandi 330 (line) would work well given the poly's/tips/bugs you plan on using. The SA lite scandi is an integrated line which I use on other rods. good luck
Thanks Gene. Do you think the Scandi Lite would turnover smaller dumbbell eye flies? I'm not too worried about that I'm just thinking that if I use lighter tips I may have to use some smaller weighted flies to help me get down a little more. Also would I have to change my stroke/cast to accommodate the scandi line? I'm used to just swinging a Skagit head and making C-spey and Snap-T casts.

Gene S

The SA lite scandi is more of a tweener...between a scandi and Skagit. The SA lite Skagit would give you more options in regards to tips and heavier bugs. I do C-speys, doubles, snakes, and singles on hybrid scandi lines...

Gene S

Luke, for another option maybe give Steve Godshall a call. I believe he is still working out of the RB Meiser shop. He knows this rod and after talking to you in depth will design a very nice line. Over the years he has built me several heads, lines, and running lines. Probably cheaper than a store bought.

Speyrod GB

I use an Airflo integrated Scandi 270 grain on my Loomis 41111 short spey. I have used a furled leader and poly leaders when throwing streamers. One streamer had medium lead eyes. The rod had no problem throwing any of it. My casting stills needs lot of practice. I also have a SA 270 grain integrated spey. I have not used it yet.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
SA Speylite Skagit. You'll really like the feel of the running line for stripping streamers compared to an OPST integrated line and it casts great. The full floater is better for versatility so you can fish dries or wakers, I like the intermediate for a dedicated streamer line. Both will handle substantial sink tips and it'll handle whatever smallmouth or trout streamer you decide to throw, from poppers, small bead chain eyed clousers to large sculpin helmets. You might be surprised how nicely it places flies and you can make pretty subtle presentations if need be.

For reference, I use a 10' T7 FLO tip with a 270gr Speylite, fished on a 9' 7wt. Your two-hander will be more than capable of chucking as much or as little weight as you want. If possible, you should head to a fly shop and cast a few demo lines in different weights so you get a feel for what suits you best.

cmann886

Luke, for another option maybe give Steve Godshall a call. I believe he is still working out of the RB Meiser shop. He knows this rod and after talking to you in depth will design a very nice line. Over the years he has built me several heads, lines, and running lines. Probably cheaper than a store bought.
I an very happy with the lines that Steve has built for me. Especially one of the integrated lines on a 7 wt. rod.

Two other integrated lines that I leave good performance on a couple of my 3-5 weight rod are a SA Short Belly Taper (SBT) and an Orivis Bankshot for SMB (I sold my WULFF Ambush line because I like the Bankshot much better). Both handle light tips or weighted flies. I have not tried OPST smooth, but the commando heads are so short that I don’t have issues using them with mono...they just are not fun to cast and generally use them as loaners...might as well be using a spinning rod.

For Shad just below the dams in turbulent water, my current favorite set up is a Nextcast Coastal FI with a 10’ Tip paired with a RIO Gripshooter. The shad tend to stay in close to the bank the FI helps to get the fly down, The Grip shooter comes inside the guides more easily that mono. Further down river and before 7 a.m. for shad I like using Ballistic Vector or Galeforce lines with a long leader and a jig head fly.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys! Some great info.

I'm going to try the 300gr Skagit lite. From the responses here and the info I could dig up that seems like the best bet. I'm gonna pair it with 10' of T-7 or T-8 and give it a shot.

I was out today with a 175gr commando on a 9' 5wt and it move flies a mile, but man can it be ugly. The fish don't care how it gets there, but it's a bit much for my liking. We'll see how the Skagit lite is. I'm sure it'll be more then enough for what I plan on doing with it.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I was out today with a 175gr commando on a 9' 5wt and it move flies a mile, but man can it be ugly. The fish don't care how it gets there, but it's a bit much for my liking. We'll see how the Skagit lite is. I'm sure it'll be more then enough for what I plan on doing with it.
Having fished both the Spey Lite Skagit and the Commando heads quite a bit, your assessment is spot on. I basically simplify it down to this: Commando throws more junk, but is far clunkier. Spey Lite Skagit doesn't throw quite as much junk but is leaps and bounds smoother casting.

I can't speak to the running lines of each, but when you compare the two Skagit heads, they are quite a bit different.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts