Threadmaster fail.....

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
It’s been since last Saturday and a coat of Threadmaster never cured!! :mad: :mad:)!! Damn! I haven’t had this happen with this product. Three days before I used the same for the guides and it set hard in one day?? Same everything.....:confused:??
I wiped most of it off with a paper coffee filter and just recoated, hoping for the best. Worst case scenario, I’ll have to cut it off and rewrap.....I’ve had problems with Flex Coat, but not Threadmaster....how about you?

Scudley Do Right

I have had it happen two times with Threadmaster. The first time I tried to mix less than a whole syringe. The second time I don't know, not warm enough, too humid? It sucked because it was a 12' mooching rod.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Ouch....did you have to redo the entire rod? Rewrap?? I hope mine will cure over the thin remaining failed coat.....

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Do you still use Threadmaster? Have you tried Prokote from Mudhole? I recently threw away two pretty full bottles of Flex Coat.....the hardener turned darkish yellow. A real pain in the ass after wrapping carefully when the final step craps out!

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
We used to use Flexcoat at the rod shop I worked in years ago and never had any problem. For at least 6 months, I coated up to 26 rods a day. Mixed many batches. Haven't used other products and haven't built a rod recently, but am going to start a 4wt soon. Maybe tomorrow or next week, during my self quarantine!!

herkileez

WFF Supporter
The only problems (2) I've had with Threadmaster were self-caused. It turned out that, when I mixed the two parts, I hadn't properly folded in the stuff from the sidewall of the container. The well-mixed TM went well, but when it started getting low, I scraped the stuff from the sides and it didn't harden. I did another properly mixed coat over top and it turned out fine.

western waters

I've used both Threadmaster and Prokote. I've built 40+ rods. Highly recommend Threadmaster. I don't know what your technique for measuring is, I use syringes and never mix less than 3cc total. The problem was certainly an error in the mix, it happens to all of us. TM will turn yellow in the bottle over time but that's not to worry, just microwave it slightly and it will go clear agin, no need to throw it away. Every epoxy that I've used will yellow slightly even after cured.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
The reason for most failures is improper mixing. Use a watch with a second hand and mix thoroughly for a full three minutes. The second reason is improper measuring.

western waters

I'll share my technique for mixing that has never failed me. I use the plastic mixing cups, place 2 stainless steel bearings in it. Tape the cup to the rod turner and lay the rod turner back at about a 45 degree. Let the epoxy mix while the turner does it's thing for 3 minutes. Never had that fail and way less bubbles than when you mix with a stirring stick.

rawalker

I feel your pain, Steve.
But, we can't do much else right now.
I'm going to start the varnish removal on the shortened bamboo tomorrow.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts