Garden Thread 2020

Smalma

Baked the 3rd rhubarb/strawberry pie of the spring yesterday (used this year's rhubarb and last strawberries from last year). Though the wife pick the first strawberry of the year a couple days ago. All 3 of the 4 by 12 foot raised strawberry beds look loaded, Looks like a good blue berry year (10 of the 14 bushes are loaded). The bumble bees, sweat bees, and honey bees have been busy the last 10 days with the raspberries and various blackberries and so far looks like a decent raspberry set. Speaking of bees my mason bees had a good spring with their egg laying coming to an end however they have filled over 260 tubes.

Everything but the late beans are in the ground and most doing well! The pole peas are waist high, potatoes, broccoli, and onions are about knee high. Carrots, beets, lettuce, corn, and various squashes are coming along nicely. Expect the pole beans to pop out of the ground this weekend just in time for the warmer weather predicted for next week.

The two year peach tree has only one peach (a disappointment). Old apple and pear tree are load as well as the young Asian and Bartlett pears are also loaded and will have to thin the fruit.

Between decent weather and not being able to fish for 6 weeks the garden maybe in the best shape ever! Love going out in the morning with that first cup of coffee and see what is happening in the garden.

Curt

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Redneck neighbor poached the deer that used to prune my apple tree for me, and now I have to go do it myself. My blueberry bushes are loaded. I've been eating so much Pac Choi that I have to cool it on the greens, due to "too much vitamin K." Tough to find takers for the excess, so I'm just cutting off the very tasty green leaves and composting those, while eating the tasty stalks, which are like delicate, white celery stalks.
My carrots, my last wave of lettuce, beets, and bush peas are all coming along. I'm eating beet greens, although they are high in vit K. If my blood tests out on the "thin end of the range" that my doc tells me it should be in, I just up the greens intake and thicken things up a bit. I don't f*ck with my pharma prescriptions. I'm getting that down to a science.
Pole Peas are climbing their trellis, but only knee high. Bush beans getting planted today/tomorrow, as well as Summer squash. Its been rather cool out here near the ocean beaches, until now.
Gotta go get on it.

bconrad

Anyone know what kind of tree this is? Supposedly the previous owners "meticulously researched and planned the species and location" of it.
Little hard to tell with a young tree but hopefully some botanists around here are up to date on the leaves. I see pinnately compound leaves which makes me think honey locust or possible another variety in the legume family.

Could also be a Mountain ash (Sorbus) but hard to tell from the pic if the leaflets are serrate.

Gary Knowels

Little hard to tell with a young tree but hopefully some botanists around here are up to date on the leaves. I see pinnately compound leaves which makes me think honey locust or possible another variety in the legume family.

Could also be a Mountain ash (Sorbus) but hard to tell from the pic if the leaflets are serrate.
I'll grab a better shot of the leaves tomorrow, but it does look similar to the pictures I could find of thornless honey locust.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info