Garden Thread 2020

ghetme

Not sure if anyone has asked this but do you guys have any advice on maintaining rose bushes? I recently bought a home that has a few and I did my first prune based on what google/youtube told me.

I thought I'd be an expert after all my research but once I got to it, I was lost.

1) Black spots on leaves - do I just cut where the leaf starts or closer on the stem before the branch? I feel like a majority of the leaves have spots on them, do I remove all and look naked?
2) Dead canes - There are a few canes that were just dead all the way to the ground, do I cut as short or possible or do I remove the whole thing?
3) Dead thorns - I read that dead thorns are a sign of no life but I keep finding buds/flowers that grow on a cane that has these grey thorns. What should I do here?
4) There is mulch around the bushes so I think the old owners may have fed them recently. How often should I change out the mulch/soil/feed?
5) Some roses grew so that they dont stand straight (basically parallel to the ground). They look healthy, should I remove or get it support so it stands?

Any other tips and tricks is greatly appreciated, thanks for helping a beginner out!

Mark Moore

Just a Member
WFF Supporter
Been working on my stoop thrones. Given all the neighbors are way more friendly, sitting on the stoop has been pretty fun. So out of old scraps and chunks of driftwood and wood from my property tree trimmings I made some chairs to watch the fountain, the birds, and talk with folks walking by
View attachment 244247
I spent a number of years as a furniture maker. Chairs are hands down the most challenging piece to make. Those are very cool!

wetswinger

Not sure if anyone has asked this but do you guys have any advice on maintaining rose bushes? I recently bought a home that has a few and I did my first prune based on what google/youtube told me.

I thought I'd be an expert after all my research but once I got to it, I was lost.

1) Black spots on leaves - do I just cut where the leaf starts or closer on the stem before the branch? I feel like a majority of the leaves have spots on them, do I remove all and look naked?
2) Dead canes - There are a few canes that were just dead all the way to the ground, do I cut as short or possible or do I remove the whole thing?
3) Dead thorns - I read that dead thorns are a sign of no life but I keep finding buds/flowers that grow on a cane that has these grey thorns. What should I do here?
4) There is mulch around the bushes so I think the old owners may have fed them recently. How often should I change out the mulch/soil/feed?
5) Some roses grew so that they dont stand straight (basically parallel to the ground). They look healthy, should I remove or get it support so it stands?

Any other tips and tricks is greatly appreciated, thanks for helping a beginner out!
Keep the ground below clean of dead fall, mulch included. Here in Puget Sound you need a sunny spot with at least 6 hrs direct sun. Black spot is passed with moisture. Only water the base not the leaves if possible. Promote air flow by pruning out the center and forming a vase shape..trim at junction that faces outward to promote this. Pull off yellowing and spotted leaves. Feed heavy (alfalfa meal) in Spring. Cut 1/3 back in Fall and same again in Spring. New canes grow beautiful flowers. Keep the plant thin to avoid most diseases.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I see you all have some nice greenery growing. My weather here in Butte just sucks big time . The White radishes are coming along but nothing else is doing any good. Still having winter weather here. Two tomato plants were doing good and then we got snowed on one night. The snow killed those tomato plants along with two pepper plants. It's been summer here for a week, but this morning temps were 32. Trying to grow anything here is a shitty lesson in gardening. Growing season is about 3 months. if your lucky.

It hailed here twice last week with hailstones about a 1/2" dia. That sure puts a damper on what one is trying to grow things. Planted Cukes but he cold weather keeps killing them. I don't have a green thumb. My thumb is black.

ghetme

Keep the ground below clean of dead fall, mulch included. Here in Puget Sound you need a sunny spot with at least 6 hrs direct sun. Black spot is passed with moisture. Only water the base not the leaves if possible. Promote air flow by pruning out the center and forming a vase shape..trim at junction that faces outward to promote this. Pull off yellowing and spotted leaves. Feed heavy (alfalfa meal) in Spring. Cut 1/3 back in Fall and same again in Spring. New canes grow beautiful flowers. Keep the plant thin to avoid most diseases.
Thanks wetswinger. I will definitely cut back in the fall/spring per your advise here and will keep in mind of the heavy alfalfa meal as well. Now that you mention of keeping the ground below clean of dead fall, I am heading out to do that right now since there are leaves congregating all around.

Thank you!!

wetswinger

I see you all have some nice greenery growing. My weather here in Butte just sucks big time . The White radishes are coming along but nothing else is doing any good. Still having winter weather here. Two tomato plants were doing good and then we got snowed on one night. The snow killed those tomato plants along with two pepper plants. It's been summer here for a week, but this morning temps were 32. Trying to grow anything here is a shitty lesson in gardening. Growing season is about 3 months. if your lucky.

It hailed here twice last week with hailstones about a 1/2" dia. That sure puts a damper on what one is trying to grow things. Planted Cukes but he cold weather keeps killing them. I don't have a green thumb. My thumb is black.
That's why they only grow hay and grain on the East slope and high divide country. Better move to the Westside lowlands to garden...My Bitterroot garden rocked!

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I kind of like where we are now. Nice and quiet. When I lived in Dillon we could get a few things to grow. But not in Butte. Thinking of moving back to Dillon. For me that was fly fishing heaven.

Edit: I guess it got cold last night. All my cukes died. Along with the pepper plants that were struggling to grow. My tomatoes are on the ragged edge. If they die, they die. I'm done as far as planting anything else here in Butte.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts