Garden Thread 2020

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
yeah - that will do it
Yeah I restarted some varieties...2 of them were crosses the bees helped me with...One was in year F7 "candle Flame" I named them...and Red Prince. The Candle Flame was a spontaneous cross of Orange Strawberry and Great Red(got Great Red seed in the USSR in 1991 in Vladivostok) the other was a cross of 2 Russians. Black Prince and Great Red...Next year I will give them a go again...Seed viability is usually 4 years though the % of germination declines with time ...

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I see you all have some nice greenery growing. My weather here in Butte just sucks big time . The White radishes are coming along but nothing else is doing any good. Still having winter weather here. Two tomato plants were doing good and then we got snowed on one night. The snow killed those tomato plants along with two pepper plants. It's been summer here for a week, but this morning temps were 32. Trying to grow anything here is a shitty lesson in gardening. Growing season is about 3 months. if your lucky.

It hailed here twice last week with hailstones about a 1/2" dia. That sure puts a damper on what one is trying to grow things. Planted Cukes but he cold weather keeps killing them. I don't have a green thumb. My thumb is black.
If you like beets plant them now...or keep an eye on the wether settling down and plant a fweek before... Accuweather is a good source.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
If you like beets plant them now...or keep an eye on the wether settling down and plant a fweek before... Accuweather is a good source.
I keep an eye on the weather but when they report a low of 40 and it actually gets below freezing, what can I do. Bring it all in the house at night. To much of a bother. I'm just glad I don't have in the ground what you all do in Washington. I won't ever plant anything else as long as I live in Butte. "Nuff said.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Thanks OMJ....
It's a lot of work at times, but well worth it.
Come Saturday afternoon we will be on the back porch, cocktails in hand, enjoying the view, and watching the birds.

If it's not raining...again.
:)

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
We have rain for 4 days straight. The sun is shining today, temp is 65. Warmest day in a week. Starting tomorrow it is supposed to rain for 6 days straight again. I'm having a wet Spring. Can't call this weather summer with below freezing temps. As a matter of fact, The last three years in the month of June we have gotten freezing temps. It's damn hard to grow anything.

Wife bought a pumpkin plant, It will take over the whole front porch. I have no idea Why she did but it's growing.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Well they don't call Butte the armpit of the universe for nothin', now do they ?
:)
Short season veggies are what you can grow.

Peppers, tomatoes and such are out.

Spinach, lettuce and maybe cabbage are in.

cdnred

I keep an eye on the weather but when they report a low of 40 and it actually gets below freezing, what can I do. Bring it all in the house at night. To much of a bother. I'm just glad I don't have in the ground what you all do in Washington. I won't ever plant anything else as long as I live in Butte. "Nuff said.
Might not be much help and a lot of work but some people in our area use row covers in the early part of the season to help with frost preventation. Once the weather turns for the better, they'll remove the covers so the plants can grow more natural..

1593724465516.png

wetswinger

I use "floating" row covers all season long. Floating covers are covers that are not staked down or used with hoops, they simply lay on top of the plant and float. They keep off flying insects that lay their eggs on your plants. These eggs hatch and the larve munch all over your produce. The fabric allows 80+% of sunshine and also the rain to come through. I have 4x10 raised beds and a brick on each corner keeps them from blowing off. I take them off when the larger crops like Bush snap peas and green beans get large, but they stay on other plant like lettuce, beets, turnips, carrots, etc. from sowing to harvest. They are my #1 tool....I just put some on my strawberries today to keep those damn Robins from eating them all...

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I was thinking about 3'x4' boxes. but I have trouble nailing two boards together. Maybe next year, if I'm still around.

Smalma

Picked the last of the peas yesterday; pulled the vines and replanted with a green beans (bush blue lakes for a late crop). My sweet corn easily made knee high by today (7/4)- currently 28 inches tall - pretty good for western Washington. My green onions and beets have loved this wet weather with robust plants and large bulbs. For once I have stayed a head of the weeds; an upside of covid???

The strawberries are about done, blue berries and raspberries are going great guns (picked nearly a gallon of each yesterday) and the Marion berries (a blackberry) is just starting.

Curt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts