Remembering Gary Lafountaine

Lolo kapuna

I crossed paths with him 2 or 3 times at my favorite fly shop and once on the Deschutes. I have a signed first edition of his “Caddisflies” and an emerger that he tied among my favorite things. He was a genuinely nice guy.

jamma

He was my first fly fishing hero. Loved the story about the NZ hike-in, I had not heard that one. His passion for what he did was what struck me so deeply.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
One year they had a fishing show at the Evergreen Fairgrounds in Monroe. I found him in the back corner sitting by his lonesome. We chatted a bit and then I moved on.

Ricardo

One of the three masters whose videos taught me how to fly fish and ties flies. I have seen his videos hundreds of time. I find myself going back to his patterns again and again. He was way ahead of his time.

David Loy

Senior Moment
One guy I would have enjoyed meeting. Quite the kidder as I understand. Fly Fishing Mountain Lakes blew me away. Loaned it out, never came back. There must have been some crazy f’n campfires.

tx8er

I’m fairly new to fly and am not familiar with him and his legacy. Are his rods well thought of? Our Project Healing Waters program recently received two from the family of a gentleman who passed away. We couldn’t find very much info on them.

Roger Stephens

I’m fairly new to fly and am not familiar with him and his legacy. Are his rods well thought of? Our Project Healing Waters program recently received two from the family of a gentleman who passed away. We couldn’t find very much info on them.
I have two 6 wt. Gary La Fontaine fly rods(The Stealth 3690 H taper series) and they are by far the best distance casting rods which I have used in 70 years of fly fishing. I use them for fly fishing on saltwater of Puget Sound. They are a moderate fast action rod and will easily cast + 90 ft. of line with a double haul if you are a good caster. They cost about 1/3 of most Sage rods and load extremely well. These rods are by far the best rods which I have ever cast.

Bjorn Beech of Fly Fisher shop in Lacey was a dealer for them. These rods are hard to find now.

Roger

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info