Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bamboo Fling

Bamboo 
11K views 165 replies 26 participants last post by  Mike Monsos 
#1 ·
I haven't forgotten about the Annual Bamboo Fling. With so many of our parks closed due to the corona-virus, we obviously won't have it May. When things improve we will put it out there for discussion and rescheduling. In the meantime we can talk about possible locations. Some one asked about adding fiberglass to the mix. What do you all think? I know I have a few old fiberglass rods and a couple of new ones.

Jerry

#5 ·
Flybil, keep watching. We don't know how long this is going to last. But when it ends I hope we can get together and really tie one on. I checked out a couple of our lakes here in Kitsap County yesterday and they were closed, technically they were closed to fishing anyway. I wonder if the state will do their spring stocking in April.

#6 ·
Yeah I know it will be a while. That's okay, we can always have a virtual one.. via Skype! J/k!!

They should open the rivers so we can fish! Fishing promotes social distancing anyway!! Most of us who fly fish have been social distancing for years before this started!!

#11 ·
#12 ·
Bonsai, it was a complete rebuild and refinish. The cork was replaced and he rewraped the guides and refinished the blank and both tips, but stayed with the original reel seat that has Dawn's name and date of build. I'm very happy with the end result and now I just need the opportunity to get out and fish the rod along with it's twin.

#13 ·
When I was 14, I had an opportunity to buy two matching, unused Holbrook rods - an 8' trout rod and a 9' steelhead rod, with reels and silk fly lines included, all for $100. This was my Dad's friend, who didn't fish and got the rods as a gift. No way could I come up with $100 without selling myself into slavery. Both rods were amazing to lawn cast, and got me interested in bamboo rods.

Rod making is a great "stay home" activity. The one I'm working on is an 8'3" cutthroat rod designed by the late John Bokstrom, and recommended on the classic fly rod forum by my friend Don Andersen. John lived in Maple Ridge, BC, was a well known and highly skilled rod maker, and fished a lot. His 9' 8 wt. steelhead rod is my favorite single handed rod for swinging steelhead flies. John and Don were the founders of the Corbett Lake Rod Makers gathering, which was postponed this year.

Rods designed by PNW rod makers like Dawn Holbrook, John Bokstrom, and others are great in that they are designed for the fishing we do.

#15 ·
Many years ago at the Corbett Lake gathering, Tom Fulk handed out the taper and specs for an 8’6” rod he called “Lake Lenice.” He said it was good for casting indicators and landing large fish. Really got my attention and was the basis for most of my rods for several years. If you see me out on a lake or beach, chances are good that the rod I’m using was designed using Tom’s method and this rod.

#18 ·
This the first time I’ve got to put the Holbrook rods side by side and the original rod is what looks like a 8 1/2 ft 6 wght made in 1951 and the recent rod is 9 ft 7wgt and it doesn’t have the date of make but they feel very much a like. I need to line up the 9 ft rod up again and get a feel for the true line weight. I hope we can put the bamboo fling together and play around with different lines which was fun last yea.

#26 ·
DenWor, thanks for the bump. Lets see how things go now that we are beginning to open up. Lets all be thinking about a location. I live in Kitasp county and am not familiar with locations that might work on the east side of the sound. Cascade View Park in Redmond has worked in the past. We may want to try some other location.

#32 · (Edited)
DenWor, parks work best because casting as many rods as you can is what it is all about. I would like to hold it at a park that has a grassy area to cast the rods, a lake (or other water) to fish and restrooms. Right now I am thinking Horseshoe Lake in Mason County, near Gig Harbor. The lake is small about 39 acres, with picnic areas, BBQ, ball field, restrooms. The ball field and picnic tables are first come, first served and do not require reservations. The ball fields could be the needed grassy area.

#33 ·
Haven't had any comments for 2 weeks. How about June 20 or 27 at Horseshoe Lake In Kitsap County just north of Mason County line. The park is just a few miles north of Gig Harbor and just west of Burley off Hwy. 16. I am open to input, comments from you as to change of date or location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.