Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bamboo Fling

Bamboo 
11K views 165 replies 26 participants last post by  Mike Monsos 
#1 ·
I haven't forgotten about the Annual Bamboo Fling. With so many of our parks closed due to the corona-virus, we obviously won't have it May. When things improve we will put it out there for discussion and rescheduling. In the meantime we can talk about possible locations. Some one asked about adding fiberglass to the mix. What do you all think? I know I have a few old fiberglass rods and a couple of new ones.

Jerry

#133 ·
Just came back from Costco. I've got beer (no soda so if someone else can bring that...). We'll need to be subtle with any beers. Got some chips and a couple packages of those 'delectable' street taco trays. Might have to eat them cold though....we'll see.....
trying to decide which rods to bring.
Maybe someone can bring paper plates, napkins and utensils? It's not a lot of food though.

#139 ·
Lemon bars cooling, premade manhattan ready (bring a cup of some sort), great dark beer too - Willetized Coffee Stout and a Cooper Project beer.. a scotch ale.. basically lemon bars and a mobile bar for my tastes!! HA!

I am sharing and going to another party afterwards.. plus have some cold Starbuck Mocha and bottles of water!

See you guys in a bit! Cheers!

Reactions: Mike Monsos
#140 ·
Thanks for putting together the fling. Great to meet everyone. I appreciate the opportunity to try out a bunch of amazingly crafted and restored bamboo rods. Look forward to getting together again in the future.

Attachments

#141 ·
What a great time! I really enjoyed meeting some new faces and seeing old friends to talk, cast and admire bamboo rods of all different lengths types and tapers. And in the final hour or so a great hot street taco lunch provided by Mark. The finale was a fun circle of conversation with everyone exchanging thoughts and ideas for the next fling.

#148 ·
It was my first bamboo gathering and it was everything I hoped for. I got to finally cast and feel some classic tapers I had only read about. Mike Monsos had two impressive classic tapers he had built, the Payne 197 and the Para 14 that were eye opening. I want to thank everyone that made the event fun and illuminating. The tacos were a knockout.

#151 ·
I was one of the last to leave and didn't see any tables. Bonsai too.

I loved casting everything I tried and discussing tapers. I have some ideas in mind, and see adding a few more bamboo rods into my collection in the next few years.

Thank you Mark for the lunch, beer and everyone who contributed towards it. Looking forward to next year, or sooner. I will contact some of you with questions and am open to fish with guys anytime!

Bill

#152 ·
I didn't leave any folding tables behind, so I am good. I hope I have enough forethought to have reels with lines on them match to the rods next year. I think I might order a blank or 2 from Dennis Stone in Oregon for next year. Any suggestions on tapers? I was hoping to go fishing at Lake Kokanee some time this week. Looks like I will have to put it off until next week. I will post the day and time as soon as I figure it out. Honey dues are a pain.

#154 ·
Dan asked for directions to Lake Kokanee so I will post them here:

These are the directions from the 101 and Hwy 5 intersection. It takes about 45 minutes from there.
The parking is on the south end of the lake close to the dam. The area around the launch area is shallow for the first 75 yards or so then it gets deep. The best fishing is up in the north end of the lake where it narrows.

Head northwest toward US-101 N - 0.2 mi

Continue onto US-101 N - 5.5 mi

Take the US-101 N exit toward Shelton/Port Angeles - 0.1 mi

Continue onto US-101 N - 28.9 mi

Turn left onto WA-119 N - 2.6 mi

Turn left onto Cushman-Potlatch Rd/Lower Lake Rd - 0.8 mi

Turn right onto Lower Lake Rd _ can't miss the parking lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.