Amber Lake Report

dbk

With the beautiful weather and need to practice some social distancing I took my pram to fish Amber lake yesterday afternoon.. lots of people must have had the same idea as the lot was pretty full and lots of boats were on the water.. was able though to find a shallow bay I had all to myself for awhile until fellow WFF member Mike Ediger found his way there... we had communicated via the website many times over the years but had never met.. so meeting him and fishing together was a highlight of the day.. as for the fishing itself it was steady with a few flurries of fish landed on successive casts.. weather was mostly windless with high blue sky and sunshine. Water temperature was 44-45 in a bay that was anywhere from 2-8 feet depending on where you were anchored up.. not much in the way of bugs but as the afternoon progressed there was a sparse emergence of small chironomids that were showing up occasionally in throat samples as 20-22 silver/chrome body with black rib and thorax.. With nothing showing upon arrival starting fishing blobs and size 10-balanced leeches which drew nary a take down after 30 minutes.. switched to a blood worm and after noticing a few fish eating tight to the shoreline begain fishing there in about 2 ft of water.. fortunately landed a fish and took a throat sample which helped turn things around... in the sample there was daphnia but also a few immature damsel nymphs and size 18 callibeatis nymphs.. with the bloodworm producing only the 1 fish I switched over to a size 18 olive balanced leech and immediately picked up a few fish.. continued fishing it in different spots at different depths in the bay which produced a steady bite for the next 90 minutes before it began to waver.. the last fish hooked and landed only had daphnia and callibeatis nymphs in its throat so I switched over to a 18 balanced halfback nymph which kept the bite going for another hour or so.. it eventually died and it was time to fish blobs and balanced leeches again.. but moved out of the little bay to seek some deeper water adjacent to it and managed to pick up another half dozen fish before calling it quits.. fish were mostly 14-18" with some smaller and a few bigger.. but all in all a great place to be in the midst if the coronavirus madness.. hope everyone remains safe and calm in the face of it..

Tim Lockhart

Glad you wrote it up David! Brings back memories of one day in particular. Enjoyable read to end a very hectic week with...well done out there

dbk

Glad you wrote it up David! Brings back memories of one day in particular. Enjoyable read to end a very hectic week with...well done out there
Hey Tim. Fond memories of that day we fished Amber.. hope we can do it again.. heading back out in the morning to fish there again..

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
about 2 ft of water.. fortunately landed a fish and took a throat sample which helped turn things around... in the sample there was daphnia but also a few immature damsel nymphs and size 18 callibeatis nymphs.. with the bloodworm producing only the 1 fish I switched over to a size 18 olive balanced leech and immediately picked up a few fish..
How do you fish a balanced leech in 2' of water? Do you hang it below an indicator? Is so, how far below?

I've tried balanced leeches in a (small) variety of settings and have yet to hook a fish on one. So I'm keen on learning how to make their use more effective.

Mike Ediger

WFF Supporter
As dbk said we had chatted several times over the years, but this was the first time meeting in person. Sure made the afternoon enjoyable, and he even helped clue me in to what they were taking.
I worked in the morning and only had the afternoon to fish. Weather was amazing, and I never put a coat on. Wind stayed down, was just a beautiful afternoon on the water.
Fish did not seem to really key in on anything. Throat pumps showed boatman, immature damsels, mayflies, chironomids, daphnia....sometimes all in the same fish. I caught most of my fish on the small size 14 red bead head leach (black, red, blue body), but every fly in the picture caught multiple fish. Most were shallow and tight to the bank. @Salmo_g when the fish are tight and shallow, I just use a smaller indicator, put the fly at 18"-24" below the indicator (sometimes less) and cast it right on the bank. You can often see the take, or sometimes even a swirl in the water as they turn to take the fly. Amber has some shallow rocky banks that after a couple feel drop off quickly to to 7'-9' with weeds. So fish cruise the shoreline in the shallow water, or just on the drop but can easily come up to the shallow to grab a fly. The would not chase anything Thursday, maybe cause the water was still cold (?), so stripping small nymphs or buggers caught nothing, and all fish caught were on suspended flies.
Also got to sit and watch a huge owl and listen to him talk for a while from about 15 feet. Great afternoon! Can't wait to get back out.

Attachments

Last edited:

chrisaltig1

I'm brand new to the forum. A good friend of mine owns the old Amber Lake Resort so I went and fished his dock and shoreline yesterday on foot. After 3 hours I finally figured to fish the shallow water with a red chironomid suspended about 3 feet. I caught two nice fish in the 16 to 19 range. Nice welcome back after 4 years of not fishing. Saw lots of fish cruising the shoreline.

Buzzy

@dbk - another size 18 balanced nymph - mayfly. I haven't any hooks 90° or 60° hooks that small. Thank goodness for ductility in some of my nymph hooks; for home fashioned bent hooks... tied up a few immature damselfly nymphs, I can see what I will be attempting this afternoon. Thanks again.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts