FS Sage X 597-4

Mike Ediger

WFF Supporter
Sage X 9'6" 5wt, 4pc factory rod.
Used but very good to excellent condition. Only thing keeping it form excellent is discolored cork and a couple of very superficial scratches on bottom section (see pic, boat rash maybe).
$475 shipped.

Attachments

ryc72

I don’t have the 5wt but have the 6wt 9’7” sage x and think it’s a great rod. Not particularly line sensitive and casts great and handles big fish easily. Wish more 5wts had fighting butts too. Both my 5wts have fighting butts on em and think they are great.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Since you asked. I don’t have experience with the Sage X, but some rods feel quite a bit different in a longer model. For pure casting enjoyment, I prefer rods at 9’, or better yet 8’6”. And for glass, 7’6” to 8’6”. But, there are reasons to fish 9’ rods and up. Big river mending, sloped beaches, nymphing, fishing out of a tube or pontoon. “Ya picks ya poison.” Ten foot rods have advantages too, but unless it’s a two hander, I’ll never own one.
2 scents

Mike Ediger

WFF Supporter
Anybody want to weigh in on the 9’6” vs the more common 9’ length?
Well I haven't fished the 9' X, but I will say just a couple words about the rod I sold and why. I have tried 3-4 different 9'6" and 10' rods, and really wanted to like them because of the casting hook setting benefits people talk about. In that time, every rod longer than 9' I have owned has felt very tip heavy to me and I didn't enjoy casting it....until this rod. The Sage X removed almost everything I didn't like about the longer rods. It was light, easy and enjoyable to cast, I almost couldn't tell a difference between this and my 9' rods. Only downside was that I have struggled on and off with medial epicondylitis in my casting arm for years. I know how to deal with it and treat it, so that isn't the issue. But longer rods, including the Sage X seem to put additional stress on my medial elbow and make it flair up. And it did flair up the day after every time I used even the Sage. So 9'6" Sage X....amazing rod. But I do just fine with 9' rods, so I will give up the attempt to find a longer rod just because of their real/perceived performance benefits.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I don’t have the 5wt but have the 6wt 9’7” sage x and think it’s a great rod.
You’re an 1” off....;)
I have the same rod 697-4 X.
My only complaint is I wish it had bigger stripping guides and the cork was stouter.
SF

Wyobee

Well I haven't fished the 9' X, but I will say just a couple words about the rod I sold and why. I have tried 3-4 different 9'6" and 10' rods, and really wanted to like them because of the casting hook setting benefits people talk about. In that time, every rod longer than 9' I have owned has felt very tip heavy to me and I didn't enjoy casting it....until this rod. The Sage X removed almost everything I didn't like about the longer rods. It was light, easy and enjoyable to cast, I almost couldn't tell a difference between this and my 9' rods. Only downside was that I have struggled on and off with medial epicondylitis in my casting arm for years. I know how to deal with it and treat it, so that isn't the issue. But longer rods, including the Sage X seem to put additional stress on my medial elbow and make it flair up. And it did flair up the day after every time I used even the Sage. So 9'6" Sage X....amazing rod. But I do just fine with 9' rods, so I will give up the attempt to find a longer rod just because of their real/perceived performance benefits.
I've got a similar problem with my casting elbow, just simple tennis elbow and the longer/fast action rods definitely make it flair, I think it is the extra weight the momentum creates in the stop and starts.
I do reverse wrist curls with a ten lbs kettle bell, strangely it builds the elbows and even shoulder right at the tendons.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts