What effect do you think..

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
That the lack of human activity is going to have, and in how fast?

Some things happening around the world are pretty amazing right now from people just simplifying life. The canals in Venice clearing up, and the smog leaving many big cities are good examples.

Anyone seen anything else neat?

O' Clarkii Stomias

I think you're right. I think the reduction of travel, especially air travel is great for emissions. Unfortunately, mark my words, harvest limits will be relaxed due to financial hardships.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I think, or maybe just hope, that many employers will see the value of working remotely.
They save on office costs and greatly increase their employee pool.
we get to live outside of city centers and not commute.

The environment gets less traffic, less parking lots, less air travel, etc.

This should have happened 20 years ago but maybe it happens now?

Porter

Reconnection to your community and your family, simply talking to neighbors at a social distance of course and parents spending copious amounts of time with their children. Board and card games regaining prominence in the household as well as puzzles. And the return of the evening all family meal time with interesting and not so interesting discussions. With no sporting events or work in the way every one sits at the table again! That is what I have noticed the past 7 days plus..... and I’m liking it!!!

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Reduced air travel will result in much bluer skies during the day and far better star gazing at night. In the days after 911 with all air traffic grounded the skies made a remarkably fast return to the brilliant blue skies I remember from 75 years ago.

Thousands of jets spewing thousands of tons of contaminants into the atmosphere around the world every day have contributed to the demise of our once brilliant skies. The result is the gray-blue sky that we accept as normal today.

GSIEGEL

Nada. Profits rule!
As soon as this blows over we'll be back to square one, including the system that invites the next zoonotic virus from abroad.

the_grube

I've actually seen a bit of an uptick in boats on the river this year. Probably all locals that were sent home because of the virus.

the_grube

I think, or maybe just hope, that many employers will see the value of working remotely.
They save on office costs and greatly increase their employee pool.
we get to live outside of city centers and not commute.

The environment gets less traffic, less parking lots, less air travel, etc.

This should have happened 20 years ago but maybe it happens now?
2 of my family weren't allowed to work from home before this virus and are required to now. They both say it's really productive. Hopefully their employers keep WFH as an option for them after

Old406Kid

I've actually seen a bit of an uptick in boats on the river this year. Probably all locals that were sent home because of the virus.
Traveling west on I-90 yesterday morning there was a steady parade of drift boats and rafts coming from the Bozeman area and headed the Livingston direction.

skyrise

Informative read from Mike Rowe on how the folks in London stayed in the bomb shelters during WWII for a few weeks but then got tired of living in fear and went right back to work and real living . And we are going to have to do the same. Otherwise the economy will collapse. And how’s that good for anyone ? We got out of the house yesterday and just went for a drive. NS rivers looked great.

the_grube

Informative read from Mike Rowe on how the folks in London stayed in the bomb shelters during WWII for a few weeks but then got tired of living in fear and went right back to work and real living . And we are going to have to do the same. Otherwise the economy will collapse. And how’s that good for anyone ? We got out of the house yesterday and just went for a drive. NS rivers looked great.
I think there's an analogy there but there are also some significant differences. My house is a lot more comfortable than a bomb shelter and I can and work from home.
We'll have to figure this thing out but one thing seems like a no brainer... working from home is good for public health and the environment. Those of us who can should. I'd like to see that practice continue.

the_grube

Reduced air travel will result in much bluer skies during the day and far better star gazing at night. In the days after 911 with all air traffic grounded the skies made a remarkably fast return to the brilliant blue skies I remember from 75 years ago.

Thousands of jets spewing thousands of tons of contaminants into the atmosphere around the world every day have contributed to the demise of our once brilliant skies. The result is the gray-blue sky that we accept as normal today.
Hadn't thought much of that one. Not a lot of air traffic visible where I live though. Maybe we as a society te think the proliferation of air traffic...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts