I want to tell a fish story from my past.

Jiminsandiego

I have no doubt that all of us have at least a few "fish stories".. I'd like to hear em. And I am hoping that some posters will dig back in their memories and share....Long ago I was diving off Pt Loma Ca. I was doing a "surface interval" and had set up a fishing pole leaned up against the rail. After lunch.. no more pole. So I suited up, dove down, picked up the pole and started to reel in line. This provided me with a unique opportunity to "trace" the movements of a panicking hooked fish. Straight to the bottom, circled a kelp stalk three times, under and around a rock ledge to a nice little cave about two feet wide. Inside was a 20lb Sheepshead that I desperately wanted to kill and eat. After about a minute she stopped struggling and simply wedged herself in the rock. Game over for me. But I got my pole back.. and a fish story.

Canvsbk

Times have changed. As an eight year old I spent most of my time with a buddy the same age. His back door neighbor was a surveyor who liked to trout fish a local small creek at night. His rod of choice was a white six foot wonderod. He wouldn’t even leave the house until 10 pm or so. We often went with him and our parents had no idea where we were or who we were with. I caught my first trout, an 8 or 9” brown in that creek and proudly carried around in my pocket to brag to my buddies until my mother discovered it.
I still fish that creek, 60 years later, a couple times a year.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
I once caught a steelhead drift fishing in the Samish river. The point of my hook found the eye of another anglers hook that was firmly planted in the jaw of a fresh winter run steelhead. The other guys leader had snapped. His loss was my gain. :D

Porter

Mid to late 70's, location was Haller Lake, Seattle. There was three of us and we were probably in 5th or 6th grade then (can't exactly remember), but I do know it was before girls, before listening to the Cars, Bad Co., Led Zep, and Skinnard. We lived a minus mile from Haller Lake, the lake doesn't have great access for shore fishing. A family friend knew the Herzog family and they had a beautiful house/yard and mostly a big nice dock on the fishing prime part of the lake, or so at that time. So for a couple sunny May weeks we would pack up our gear and ride our bikes there. The first time we knocked on the door it was a bit intimidating, but a tall man answered and was pleased with the visit and said it had been many years since he had had this request. "Yes, of course anytime, your welcome just clean up when you leave". We caught trout every night, 10-14"planters of course. We were mostly power baiters and worms back then, string em up, take them home and mom would cook them a following night. Thank god she knew how to cook them to make them edible. The one sunsetting evening with high water clarity we spotted a monster in the shallows of the lily pads near the dock. This, for the next two nights would become our obsession. Each taking turns we each tried to coral and hook up this beast. We had come to the conclusion this was a Bass fish but none of us had caught one before, perch yes, catfish yes, but not the mighty Bass The second night my friend tapped in to his BillyMac powers and dangled a purple/brown rubber worm, and Bam!!! Party Fight on...splashing and upturned lily pads. Boaters turned their heads looking our way, not sure due to the loud water activity or us yelling like a bunch of girls. A few minutes later a nice sized Bass was in the hands of my friend, he held it and my other friend and I stared at it in amazement. It was huge, twice the size easily of the planters we had been catching. We released it and watched it dart off. After that Summer the next time we returned to that lake we were in cute off jeans, rowing rafts, swimming with girls, and listening to Rock-n-Roll. ;):)

Jiminsandiego

Sometime in 1978 I hooked a leopard shark (about 5 ft long) at Sunset Cliffs Ca. After landing it I released it into a tide pool the size of a jacuzzi. A crowd amassed. That beautiful fish entertained many beach goers. I am certain that that fish was grateful for high tide.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I commercial fished on seiners in the early 70s, mostly in SE AK, but occasionally in Puget Sound in the Fall. We once caught a Chum Salmon here, estimated at 35lbs (huge for Chum). It was dragging hook, flasher, line and rod and reel. Stripped some guy of the whole gear setup. Had to be an “Oh F___” moment.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I used to hike up to Pamelia Lake in the Oregon Cascades. It wasn't a long hike, and I'd usually camp there with a buddy.

At the time the lake had a limit of 45 Cutthroat, any size - I guess they were trying to bring the population down and the size up. I brought a bunch of rope and fashioned a raft from some of the nearby driftwood, and found a long limb to pole myself to the middle of the lake.

Once there, I would take a Hare's Ear and sink it to the bottom and wait. I could see the nymph easily resting on the sandy surface. I'd wait a couple minutes until a trout swam near, twitch the line, and a tiny plume of mud would rise. The trout would key on that and attack the nymph.

I could catch 20 6" fish in as many casts. I'd get about 10 each for me any my buddy, and would fry those up that evening over the open fire. Yummy!

Jiminsandiego

On one vacation, I was fishing an Eastern Sierra stream with my old high school buddy and his son. I was first to the pool and claimed "dibs" of the hat that was floating there. After catching a couple of trout, I pulled a Stetson hat out of that hole. And it fit! A "Beaver Hunter" model in perfect condition! I recently gave this hat to my nephew

Last edited:

RickG

Fishing above Oxbow dam off a dock that is no longer there. Using worms. just dropping off the dock until the bait went out of our sight. Wasn't catching anything. My Aunt spoke up that she would clean all we caught. Suddenly it was like someone turned on a switch. The perch started feeding. We caught like 4 stringer full. We finally loaded up and went back to camp. (copperfield park) Ate some dinner then she sat down to start cleaning. Sometime around 9 o'clock or so my folks went over to help. It was after midnight before they came into the tent and crashed. My Aunt never made a comment like that again that I am aware of. I loved those summers over there. I wish that dock was back. We caught many many fish from there.

RickG

Same dock. My Grandma was almost blind by this point but she still loved fishing. Setting on a lawn chair. She could not see the tip of the pole bounce. But she could feel it. She would give a big yank and the fish would come flying out of the water, over her head and off the back side of the dock. funny to watch. She got a charge out of it once she realized what she was doing. Then she proceeded to out fish all of us.

Jiminsandiego

I know a man that was dealing with his fish while his "plumber's crack" was hanging off the gunwales. A sea lion decided to take a bite. Emergency room and puncture wounds. I found it difficult to dismiss the humor.

triploidjunkie

In the late eighties, my older brother moved back from Nevada. This was great for me, because he had a car. We fished every single day one that summer break.
One of my favorites was the gas dock at Spring Canyon. We'd do ok for walleye and bass, but when the older kids made their way over to the cliffs and started jumping off, it would spook the fish over to us, and we'd always limit out. That was a good summer!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts