Winston IM6 8’ 6” 5 weight

Flybock

Hi everyone!
I need advise. What fly line would be best for the Winston 8’ 6” 5 weight rod? I have just been reunited with my baby after having to sell her years ago.
Thank you!
Peter

tallguy

Rio gold is overlined I think. For the older IM6 rods, you should not overline, they will be much softer and slower than the z axis. Go true weight, or a size down for any line that is overlined in grains.

Hard won experience just above.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I liked a (SA I think) 5wt double taper on mine. The Cortland Peach 444 in either WF or DT would also be good. I do like the Rio Gold, but that rod doesn’t need the extra weight, and would bog down around 50’. As you know, that is a wonderful rod to fish, but it is not a heavy duty streamer machine or distance caster.
The Airflo Super Dri Elite might be good too. It’s a great line and works well on slower action rods.

Last edited:

Flybock

Thank you all. Really. All great suggestions . I am trying to avoid buying one and hating it. I wish one could test lines before buying.

shrapnel

I have a 4wt IM6 WT. I called Winston several years ago to find out what line I should use.. They said double taper. I use the cortland 444 DT
I fished with Tom Morgan quite a bit before he got laid up with MS. The reason Winston rods were shorter than their contemporary manufacturers was due to Tom’s experience from his own fishing/guiding that he did throughout his lifetime.

Every aspect of a Winston rod during Tom’s ownership, was designed for the fisherman and not parking lot casters and demonstrations. While most 5 weight rods were 9 foot, Tom built a 8 foot 6 inch rod for the action that rod had with the taper of the mandrill and the material that was wrapped on that mandrill.

After fishing with him in Russia, I progressed from a more stiff Loomis IMX rod to Winston IM6. Fishing with Tom gave me insight int the finer aspects of what a rod can and will do, although many rods differ in that arena. Russia was Atlantic Salmon with 9 weight rods, but the Winston IM6 worked fine against any other rods there on the Ponoy, which were mostly Loomis IMX rods as Gary Loomis was also there and he was promoting the Atlantic Salmon experience in Russia.

Back in the U.S. we fished the Madison with Winston IM6 graphite and I was converted from IMX to Winston. Then when it came to the finer details of dry fly fishing I preferred the double taper line for it’s virtues of laying a line out with a more subtle effect on the water, and secondly the economy of a double taper line. Day in and day out, the old technology with a Winston IM6 rod and a double taper line, won’t get out fished by anything newer...

creekx

spent spinner
When I first bought my 8'-6" 5-weight in the early 90's I lined it with my go-to line at the time: 444SL in a DT5F. It was a very good match. Then about ten years ago I had the opportunity to cast multiple new lines on it and fell in love with the Rio Trout LT (or whatever they called it back then) in a WF5F. I was surprised to discover that it cast better in close and far than the 444SL. I fish the same Rio line in a WF4F on my 8'-6" bIIt 4-weight. They keep changing their name, lines and tapers though because marketing.

Whatever you do, do not buy one of the "modern" WF lines that are anywhere from one-half to a full line size over AFTMA standards for any Winston IM6. They destroy the action and enjoyment of those rods.

Mark Mercer

When I first bought my 8'-6" 5-weight in the early 90's I lined it with my go-to line at the time: 444SL in a DT5F. It was a very good match. Then about ten years ago I had the opportunity to cast multiple new lines on it and fell in love with the Rio Trout LT (or whatever they called it back then) in a WF5F. I was surprised to discover that it cast better in close and far than the 444SL. I fish the same Rio line in a WF4F on my 8'-6" bIIt 4-weight. They keep changing their name, lines and tapers though because marketing.

Whatever you do, do not buy one of the "modern" WF lines that are anywhere from one-half to a full line size over AFTMA standards for any Winston IM6. They destroy the action and enjoyment of those rods.
I believe the line you liked was the Rio Selective Trout, great line ! I still use the DT on my 3wt Lami glass.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts