Is it me or the rod?

Wyobee

So I've developed a glitch in my double haul, but I don't notice it with every rod I cast. A seven, eight or nine weight rod still casts fine but I get into the six weight or lower and my loop is completely collapsing with the most pronounced problem with an epic 8'6" 6 wt. that casts fine without a forward haul but almost folds in half and collapses hauling.
I think my backward stop is good, I don't think my arm is turning in a circle, anybody have guess?

DanielOcean

With all do respect. I think that the person or person's you should be asking are those great folks at your local fly shop. There are zero disadvantages to going out and paying someone for 1/2 or 1 hour of there time to analyze your cast. Also, after this pandemic stuff calms down, our small shops are going to need all the help they can get to recover. :)

Cheek Meat

Less power on forward stroke?
Line a little heavy?
I have no business giving casting advise but I have a similar problem overpowering my 5wts if ive been using heavier rods. Especially if I double haul. Sometimes I just stop double hauling

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Most likely it is not your rod.
Does the rod load and unload without a haul? If it does not the problem could be the line.
If the rod loads and unloads it is most likely you're letting yer back cast drop.
Something I have seen other casters do is what I call "stop. start, stop"
I see this mostly when a caster is about to shoot line or lay out his/her cast.
They stop, then start and throw. Instead of stopping letting the rod unload and finishing the cast.
The best way I know of solving your own casting problem is to watch your back cast.
Turn your body sideways so you can see the back cast easier

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Line a little heavy?
I have no business giving casting advise but I have a similar problem overpowering my 5wts if ive been using heavier rods. Especially if I double haul. Sometimes I just stop double hauling
This is very true, about over powering your rod.
Fly casting is about letting the rod do the work, not your arm/shoulder

Wyobee

Most likely it is not your rod.
Does the rod load and unload without a haul? If it does not the problem could be the line.
If the rod loads and unloads it is most likely you're letting yer back cast drop.
Something I have seen other casters do is what I call "stop. start, stop"
I see this mostly when a caster is about to shoot line or lay out his/her cast.
They stop, then start and throw. Instead of stopping letting the rod unload and finishing the cast.
The best way I know of solving your own casting problem is to watch your back cast.
Turn your body sideways so you can see the back cast easier
The rods load fine without the haul and I've watched it on the back cast and my timing seems on, what would happen if was starting my haul before my cast might cause the stop, start stop thing, maybe.

Last edited:

Wyobee

Line a little heavy?
It does feel like I'm throwing the line at itself, and yeah i decided with glass six that I just won't use the haul on the forward cast. It kinda bums me out because it's so much less work using the haul.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
The rods load fine without out the haul and I've watched it on the back cast and my timing seems on, what would happen if was starting my haul before my cast might cause the stop, start stop thing, maybe.
Good point to think about.
If you start to haul before your rod unloads, I think you would have a wad of line in front of your rod.
so I think you would have your rod running into your line.
I have seen new caster do this when they start their forward cast before the rod unloads.
It doesn't take much to mess your cast.
Go out in the yard, park, ball field and do some deliberate casting mistakes. 20 ft of line out would be enough.
I know when I get a wind knot in my leader I'm getting tired and it is time to quit or take a good break.

Wyobee

Good point to think about.
If you start to haul before your rod unloads, I think you would have a wad of line in front of your rod.
so I think you would have your rod running into your line.
I have seen new caster do this when they start their forward cast before the rod unloads.
It doesn't take much to mess your cast.
Go out in the yard, park, ball field and do some deliberate casting mistakes. 20 ft of line out would be enough.
I know when I get a wind knot in my leader I'm getting tired and it is time to quit or take a good break.
Yeah my tip/leader is literally running into the main body of my line rather than staying looped. I'll try your advice and see if I can create the problem with a short cast.

Wyobee

I strung up the glass six and it was that the rod is so flexible that what felt like being loaded with a graphite rod was just momentum and not a stop, when it reached it's full back cast it actually kinda jerked the rod a bit and then the haul worked perfectly.
Probably why the stiffer higher weight rods double hauled fine because when they felt loaded they actually we're. Thanks for the advice I was stumped.

KerryS

Ignored Member
WFF Supporter
I’m likely the wrong person to give casting advice but I would go the other direction. You said casting your heavier weight rods wasn’t a problem but when got to the six it was. Start with a three and work up instead of down. I go to my soft three weight when my casting goes to hell. It forces me to slow down and feel the rod.

the_grube

Are your haul and forward stroke synchronized? They both need to slowly accelerate and pop to a stop together or you'll introduce slack.

Wyobee

Are your haul and forward stroke synchronized? They both need to slowly accelerate and pop to a stop together or you'll introduce slack.
Mostly, I am pretty good with a smaller haul from say the solar plexes to the side of the waist, going from the reel to side of the waist I really do lose that good snap release. I've really hit a barrier of getting past say 90 ft. , but last year I was stuck at 80, so I'm improving.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info