Central WA report

troutpocket

A narrative inspired by @dbk

Beautiful sunny early spring day. Forecast said maybe 60 in the afternoon and calm. I could have pulled out my mower and spent some time getting it ready. Or not. Got on the water around 8:30.

Started with a simiseal leech on my type 5 and picked up a decent bow in the shallows right away. Kept working the edge but nothing was happening. Moved out to the 8-10’ zone and hooked up again. Another bow. Spent the next 90 minutes covering water and looking for bugs. Picked up another 2-3 fish.

FB4F3A3D-BEF4-4D40-9774-832D7AD3F7BE.jpeg

Around 10:30 a few fish started swirling across the lake and there was the beginnings of a decent chironomid hatch. Unfortunately the bugs were tiny, like maybe 22’s. I parked myself in a likely zone and hung a @b_illymac bug and micro leech under an indicator in 8’ of water outside some weeds. Nothing happened for a bit but I eventually picked up a couple bows and took a throat sample: daphnia and a few little greyish chironomid pupae.
CB8D70B1-3FD0-4C5E-A0E8-E89EF49A306A.jpeg

I looked through my chironomid box and picked out the smallest chromie I had on a #16 scud hook. I swapped out the micro leech and moved out to 12’. First cast, bobber down but the fish spit the bug as I was working it up off the bottom. Next cast, bobber down but again lost it after a bit. Checked out my rig and found the hook bent out on my chironomid! The hazards of small hooks and big fish. But! I had some information about how and where to find more fish.

And find more I did. It wasn’t gang busters but it was happening. Both B_illy’s bug and the chironomid were productive. Mostly rainbows but a few surprises as well.
B3F472D3-6BFC-42C7-820B-B1F2578274E4.jpeg
F2A28A64-1E5B-4C6D-AC56-C2D45DA9F955.jpeg
ED3C9BEF-F802-4D30-84F3-06284A0218B7.jpeg

I was off the water at 3:30 as the bite was slowing down. It was a beautiful evening so I imagine there was another flurry to be had. A great start to spring fishing!

rjames76240

Gentleman, I would really appreciate a few pics of your favorite s/w Wa and N/W Or flies. I live in Texas but, I have a brother in woodland wa. I tie my own, but I would love to send him local flies. Any and all would be appreciated. Thanks

NRC

WFF Supporter
Gentleman, I would really appreciate a few pics of your favorite s/w Wa and N/W Or flies. I live in Texas but, I have a brother in woodland wa. I tie my own, but I would love to send him local flies. Any and all would be appreciated. Thanks
Check out the “what’s in your vise” thread for more fly pics than you can get through in a week!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info