Fly Fishing Lake Trolling

All,
I was out at Pass Lake this weekend and there were lots of boats trolling 2 poles with strike indicators. Are they just trolling Wolley buggers or what etc?

I was surprised to see this fly fish setup etc. I didn't want to ask from my float tube.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
The wife and I used to troll Rufus Woods Res. with a sink tip, 3x tippet, and buggers in olive, black and sometimes white or slime green.
Very slow with the electric motor, back and forth over the drop offs alone the shore.
This may not help ya a Pass lake

Verne

My brother and I used to troll flies on Pass Lake in the early 1950's when it was open for bait fishing and we were in high school. Used what was available for flies black gnats and cowdungs worked very well.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
My brother and I used to troll flies on Pass Lake in the early 1950's when it was open for bait fishing and we were in high school. Used what was available for flies black gnats and cowdungs worked very well.
That's odd. My understanding is that Pass Lake has been fly fishing only since 1941. No bait.

Shad

Under an indicator, they're probably fishing some sort of larva pattern (probably chironomids, considering the season). Not sure why the fish would want that presentation moving horizontally, though, so I'll second the @Irafly suggestion to go ahead and ask next time. Sounds like they've been talking to each other, since so many are doing it, so they shouldn't mind one more probing question.

I've been known to troll flies to find fish in lakes, but I typically use streamers of some stripe for that.

wareagle

WFF Supporter
I have caught numerous fish at Pass leaving my Chironomid in the water while rowing to a different spot. Possibly the trout were in that zone. Hindsight, I should have raised my Chironomid when I got to the new spot.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
That's odd. My understanding is that Pass Lake has been fly fishing only since 1941. No bait.
I remember gear fishing at Pass when it was legal....I think I remember that anyway. :confused:
Edit, It must have been in previous life.
Google just told me Pass has been fly fishing only since 1939.

Last edited:

Old406Kid

Balanced leeches track surprisingly well when rigged that way.
I've had decent luck with them at times by using the row/rise, stop/drop method.

Bob Newman

Had a fishing buddy that always fished chironomids off a floating line with no “indicator” and slow kicking his tube around the lake. Unless it was a sparse hatch he did very well.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts