Outfitters are starting to cancel 2020 bookings

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
This is from Sweetwater in Livingston.

"After much deliberation, I am sad to announce that we will not be taking any 2020 guide trip reservations at this point. We will revisit that decision as the full scope of the pandemic becomes clearer. I debated developing a sanitation and social distancing protocol to try and keep clients and guides healthy and safe. Many other outfitters are developing such plans for their guides and clients to follow. In my opinion, those plans are far too elaborate and complicated to ensure that the virus will not be transmitted from an infected guide or client. Too many things need to be done right, throughout the entire fishing trip, for those recommendations to be followed sufficiently every trip. It's just too easy for one or both parties to slip up just once during the day and make all of the precautions for naught. Not to mention that to me, at least, it doesn't sound that fun to go on a fishing trip when so much of your concentration has to be focused on not getting sick or getting the guide sick. The health and safety of our employees, guides, customers, guide clients, and their families must be my overriding concern always! Thank you for your understanding!"

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Tough time to be a fishing guide. No doubt. But it's a tough time for everyone. Guides aren't unique there.

I'm completely shut down and will be staying at home for the near future. My charter in Westport is shut down. My guide business on the sound I'm not booking any trips. It sucks, but it's the only way.

Stay at home. Enjoy your families. Tie flies. Watch Netflix. Catch up on sleep. Whatever it takes. We have to get past this and it's the only way.

When life goes back to normal, try your best to support small businesses. We can get thru this.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Good time to get take-out from your favorite local restaurant. Ask if they do gift cards too...

And yes, thinking of all you guides out there. Lots of gig workers are going to struggle with this. Hopefully Washington gets the stimulus package right. I'm not encouraged so far....

Peyton00

Wife cancelled her annual trip to Italy .
The same ladies just cancelled a trip to Nashville for a birthday celebration too.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Would walk in guiding be an option? Seems like social distancing could easily be achieved if you meet at the access. Guide makes some cash. Client maybe gets a discount over a float or learns some access points. Win win?

802flyfish

“In order to survive this situation and be here to protect our clients and future trips, the owners of Yellow Dog – Jim and Ian – have had to make some very difficult choices to cut costs and consolidate our team numbers for the immediate future”.

Wonder how many lodges will fold when this is all said and done ?

Wishing everyone the best during these difficult times..

Philonius

I spoke with Dave McCoy or Emerald Waters Anglers today. Tough time to own a fly shop that specializes in destination fly fishing trips; all of which are cancelled. I am in a business which is allowed to remain open (no, not a cannabis dispensary), and it’s a tough choice deciding if I even should.

Hang in there everyone.

ribka

Better guides than airlines etc.
So guides that target endangered species are and a very, small percentage of of our non essential free time are now essential to our commerce now in the US ?
A $500 a day a white guy ( just keeping it real for progressives) guided fly fishing trip for catch and release targeting endangered west slope cutthroat and steelhead , salmon now is essential to our economy?

lol

Yard Sale

Huge Member
So guides that target endangered species are and a very, small percentage of of our non essential free time are now essential to our commerce now in the US ?
A $500 a day a white guy ( just keeping it real for progressives) guided fly fishing trip for catch and release targeting endangered west slope cutthroat and steelhead , salmon now is essential to our economy?

lol
What percentage of commercial flights are “essential “?
Arguing that guiding is harmful to endangered species to defend the airlines is a bit shortsighted as well.

I’m not saying we should ignore the airlines but I do believe they will be better suited to weather the storm than small businesses.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info