NFR Wa Shut Down

Googaplex

Zzzzzzzz....
I agree with you. Our government has not been forthright with their data. There have also been significant shortcomings in regards to testing and an overall lacking of a consistent strategy in combating the virus. However what we do have is freedom of speech and freedom of information. This is most clearly illustrated in the fact that we can have, on the same stage, the president saying one thing and the director of the NIAID saying something completely contradictory. Thankfully we have access to information beyond what has been deemed “appropriate” by the ruling party. In countries like China anyone outspoken or contradictory to the party narrative would be quickly thrown into prison or “re-education” camps.

Chromer J

Are states even publishing the total number of tests being administered daily? The CDC published their test numbers when they were the ones processing them, but they began delegating the majority of test processing a few weeks ago. I've seen the total number of tests administered by certain states referenced in recent news articles, but NYs number of tests being administered did not come up easily with a quick search, and if anyone would publish them, I'd guess NY should be on top of it. The media is getting their numbers from somewhere. If it's a conspiracy, and I don't believe it is, some individual states seem to be complicit.

Quoting an "old" article:
"As of March 13, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) labs have tested some 3,900 specimens of the virus, while U.S. public health labs have tested over 12,000 specimens. More than 81 public health labs are online in all 50 states and are conducting testing, according to the CDC."

Last edited:

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
The CDC posted regular numbers of tests administered throughout February, and stopped on March 3rd I believe.
The number at that point was 472...

https://covidtracking.com/ is a place that aggregates data from the various states, not perfect due to how the different states report and classify cases.

Beckler

The urgency of the situation and the suffering this virus has caused aside, this forced isolation is not all bad.

It's a very strange, but honestly not altogether unpleasant, feeling to spend time at home with my family with virtually zero outside influences. None of my sons friends randomly stopping by to grab him for some teenage boy adventure. My wife's work cell not ringing asking her to come in at all hours of the night. I'm not prepping for my next run down to Westport, scheduling a last minute sound trip for the next day, or frantically stringing up rods and tying flies in prep for the next days trip. Truly zero outside influences right now and its strange, but kinda nice.

I tend to be one who tries to look on the bright side of things but in a short time I can already see some positive in my household. I feel like we are already closer as a family. Both in that we are all together fighting against a common enemy, and that we are flat out spending more quality time together than we ever have.

When I woke this morning I found my wife and nearly 18 year old son at the kitchen table working on this giant puzzle my wife brought home the other day. I dislike puzzles. I suck at them and dont have the interest to keep trying. Well after I got up I spent the next hour or two in the kitchen working on that puzzle. My wife made us fantastic breakfast sandwiches as we worked, and we just hung out leisurely eating breakfast and working on that puzzle.

I'm ashamed to admit how long it had been since we had done anything like that together. My wife's job always keeps her super busy and generally stressed out. My son has all sorts of 17 year old boy stuff to keep him busy and out of the house. My jobs keep me on the water or on the road a ton, and my schedule and time that I'm at home is constantly changing. We hadn't just hung out together like that in far too long. It makes me feel selfish considering what so many are currently going through, but for a while there I was pretty damn content to have that time "forced" on us like that. I plan to add more of these moments to my life well after the lock down is lifted.

I've found I'm staying more in touch with friends and outside family than I normally would. When the world slows down like it is, and we are all facing the same fear, sending a quick text to a friend or family member just to check in doesnt seem so difficult. I also plan to do more of this in my life well after the lockdown is lifted.

I hope this is all over soon. It does scare me immensely for many reasons. I also hope that once life is back to normal that maybe this forced slow down will be the start of some positive change. I think by week two of this many of us will have a whole new perspective on many things. I'm hopeful that we can learn from this and improve.
Well said, thanks for sharing your positive experiences and perspective!

girlfisher

Which narrative, specifically, from CNN or their equivalent are you referring to in regards to inaction? We'll have to address them one by one, but be forewarned, since you've called out the federal government, it'll get political, and this thread will likely be locked as we engage in the debate of who or where there is blame to be cast.
Let's rather keep politics out of the thread. Don't be mislead that your understanding of the world is correct because it's consistent with your news channel(s).
Mr. Chromer: Others have made claims against the Fed. Gov. and have singled out the President himself amidst this thread. Some have fired shots at our Governor. Fortunately, most of the posts have remained civil with few personal attacks or condescending insults.

Are you saying you do not believe the pleadings from Governors, epidemiologists, and hospital staff that are at the forefront of this battle for humanity? These remarks can be heard on ABC, CBS, NBC, FSTV, LINK, MSNBC, FOX, NPR, and probably CNN.

cingras53

Pursuer of trout, stripers, grouse and turkey
This is a complete over reaction. People should be encouraged to get out into the open spaces. Just practice social distancing, wash your hands often and don’t touch your face.

Peyton00

This is a complete over reaction. People should be encouraged to get out into the open spaces. Just practice social distancing, wash your hands often and don’t touch your face.
In washington we are encouraged by our governor to get outside and take bike rides, go for hikes, take the dogs for walks and go for drives around the area.

Social distancing can be achieved while doing normal activities.

Bruce Baker

In washington we are encouraged by our governor to get outside and take bike rides, go for hikes, take the dogs for walks and go for drives around the area.

Social distancing can be achieved while doing normal activities.
From the Governor's speech on Tuesday night:

"It essentially requires every Washingtonian to minimize physical contact with others, unless they are pursuing essential activities, like grocery shopping, going to a doctor’s appointment or the pharmacy, or if they work at a business deemed essential to continue functioning during an emergency.

This does not mean you can’t go outside. If you feel like going for a walk, gardening or going for a bike ride, we consider that essential activity too for everyone’s physical and mental health. We all just need to practice social distancing of six feet to protect ourselves and others — everywhere, all the time."

I do not see anything about going for car rides.

Peyton00

From the Governor's speech on Tuesday night:

"It essentially requires every Washingtonian to minimize physical contact with others, unless they are pursuing essential activities, like grocery shopping, going to a doctor’s appointment or the pharmacy, or if they work at a business deemed essential to continue functioning during an emergency.

This does not mean you can’t go outside. If you feel like going for a walk, gardening or going for a bike ride, we consider that essential activity too for everyone’s physical and mental health. We all just need to practice social distancing of six feet to protect ourselves and others — everywhere, all the time."

I do not see anything about going for car rides.
U didn't listen to his speech or just missed the part about him saying to go for drives locally, not across the state.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
U didn't listen to his speech or just missed the part about him saying to go for drives locally, not across the state.
I watched his speech live and just read it again and i don’t see where he says ‘going for drives’ is a good idea. Obviously folks would mostly be driving to the grocery store or Dr. appointments or getting take-out but i don’t see where he is suggesting old fashioned Sunday Drives are encouraged.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts