NFR Wa Shut Down

dustinchromers

This.
Last weekend, before the official stay at home order, I (with proper social distancing) fished a number of Puget Sound beaches which normally have only a handful, if any, people on them. There were literal crowds of families and sportsmen, some obviously not household groups, gathering to chat in the parking lot, etc. The crowds at Rattlesnake on a weekday were also jaw dropping, as viewed from my single kayak. Shocking, but not surprising for a Puget Sound population whose kids were home and for whom normal indoor, outside-the-home activities had already been limited.
For those of you blaming "citiots" for that and smugly believing you would not see the same in E WA if the gov had not shut down trailheads and fishing, I refer you to the Mar 1st opening day posts of crowds and "nice to have met you's" at popular lakes and the pics of parking lots full of trailers. (Before E WA was much affected, and all very well in normal times!) Now that the whole state is SAH, if open, every day would look like that. If they closed only the popular places, you would soon find your usual "secret" lakes inundated.
It would be great if we could rely on everyone to behave responsibly, but we can't, period. That's why government and religions exist.
Please think bigger than yourself, if just for the duration of this crisis; be responsible, be kind, be safe.
I believe all are able to exercise stupidity be it country or city. I don't understand the logic to drive three counties away to recreate in a time of crisis and flood small towns with people and Corona. The cases are in the populous areas by in large. We have one in my county. From Seattle I'm told. King has thousands both known and unknown. I'm sure we have plenty now as I don't expect the average Joe at Starbucks to be remotely qualified to keep sterile. Food borne illness and an airborne pathogen are two different animals.

Reactions: JS

sportsman

In Nevada, pot shops have home deliveries now.
I'm here to tell y'all that in all my born days did I ever think that this would happen!
I said, I said, I said never.
There was a time when this would have been a dream come true for me and I suspect a lot of others on this forum. Those days are long gone now for me. It still cracks me up that it's a reality now. :)
We were getting home deliverys in the early 70's.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Pot shops are open because they are a source of tax revenue
There are a lot of things shut down right now that are a source of tax revenue.

Not everything is a conspiracy. Dispensaries actual provide essential medicine for sick people. Not saying a very high percentage folks buying are not doing so for recreational purposes. Just saying they have a legit essential reason for not shutting down.

Edit: I could be wrong here so someone please let me know if I am. I assume a dispensary is a dispensary in WA? There are not medical versus recreational dispensaries? If there are, I agree that the recreational spots should be closed.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I don't understand the logic to drive three counties away to recreate in a time of crisis and flood small towns with people and Corona
There are probably lots of individual justifications for it (of the my kid has asthma, I'm getting us out if the city while we're still healthy variety) but I think most of that was the significant portion of folks who chose to believe the narrative from some news outlets and authorities that the gov't shutting down schools and jobs was an overreaction, and that there wasn't really much risk anyway.
The slow moving exposure -> infective state -> symptoms (or even lack of symptoms!) lifecycle of this virus made that response disastrous instead of just unwise. An unfortunate confluence of nature and human nature. :oops:

sportsman

Pot shops are open because they are a source of tax revenue
Would you rather people were sitting home getting psychotic or getting psychotic smoking that shit? Might have a toke as long as it's Indica bud....rarely though. Tried vaping...lungs felt like crap and wrong buzz. Rarely drink and gave up fine cigars around a campfire s long time ago. Reality sucks sometimes, but I feel a whole lot better in the A.M.

sportsman

Well I had an unplanned event. As I type this someone is fixing my tire while I'm inside the rig. I assume a well meaning elk poacher decided to put some roofing nails in front of the gate to the tree farm and I've got some flats. I carry a compressor so I was able to get to town without touching anything as to preserve some safety for the tire guys.
A good air compressor and a high quality plugging kit have saved me many times. Even if you never leave the pavement, they can be a life saver. Still have my Snap-On kit I bought 40+ years ago. I've plugged tires and put 20-30,000 miles on them with no problems....and no trip to a tire store.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Would you rather people were sitting home getting psychotic or getting psychotic smoking that shit? Might have a toke as long as it's Indica bud....rarely though. Tried vaping...lungs felt like crap and wrong buzz. Rarely drink and gave up fine cigars around a campfire s long time ago. Reality sucks sometimes, but I feel a whole lot better in the A.M.
At times like this drinking & drugging is going to be a pastime ,which is to be expected. Have at it if that’s your thing.

sportsman

At times like this drinking & drugging is going to be a pastime ,which is to be expected. Have at it if that’s your thing.
Not sure what your thing is... except fishing...but society doesn't need a virus to partake in either. In sure that the intake of both will increase. So far my dog is doing great... instead of one or two runs a day... it's three or four!

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
this fall a national debate will take place, with much of it's focus on how many folks died unnecessarily because of that self serving falsehood..
Ha ... yes, but ...

That debate will take place in an echo chamber that is inside of a hermetically sealed bubble ... and if any details of that debate make it outside of that bubble, it will be reported by Fox “news” and the administration as fake news. Sad times for our country.

Last edited:
Reactions: JS

David Loy

Senior Moment
[QUOTE="jamma, post: 1576280, member:)
Am also unsettled about some people who still regard China as a backwards country. Last year they applied for and were granted more patents than the U.S., most likely the first time that's happened in history.
[/QUOTE]

Recently saw a graph comparing the top dozen or so countries by numbers of international travelers (&or money spent). The US (#2) had as many as maybe the next 4 combined, but only half as many as China. There is a huge middle class there now, and they love to travel. Much of the virus spread coincided with their lunar new year (early February) when their travel season peaks.

Post script later: I didn’t bring this up to fuel anti-China rhetoric. I don’t dislike the Chinese. Except for their government, I’m sure the vast majority are decent people, as here. But I believe in science, and won’t deliberately stick my head in sand. Those travelers, if infected, probably didn’t know. The government was busy covering it up with PR, much like ours is now.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts